PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an 08 S6 with Engine Swap

JayJayBayBay
03-31-2016, 02:39 PM
I am currently looking into purchasing a 2008 S6 that has recently received an engine swap. I am curious what exactly I might look for to determine the reliability of the restored vehicle. Back story as provided by the private seller.

(Wealthy gentlemen, lives in multi-million dollar home) Nephew borrowed the vehicle and accidentally filled it with Diesel fuel, thus destroying the engine (how did he even manage that??). Owner took it into the North Scottsdale Audi dealership to have to the work performed, replacing the destroyed engine, installed engine with 100k miles. Originally the vehicle only had 32k.

I have no reason to assume this is a scam of some sort, he is providing all the receipts for the work performed, I am just curious what I might be able to ask the dealership/owner to further comfort myself before making this transaction.

Asking price is $18,500 - I will take five off the top and offer $12,750.

Any suggestions/warnings for me going into this?

SinCityA6
03-31-2016, 03:55 PM
First off, a diesel filler nozzle will not fit in the filler neck of the car. Secondly "wealthy gentleman" doesnt pony up for a new motor and instead pays for a used one??? 100K miles on an S6 motor without any kind of service history? Run, don't walk, away?

AFONE
03-31-2016, 06:52 PM
First off, a diesel filler nozzle will not fit in the filler neck of the car. Secondly "wealthy gentleman" doesnt pony up for a new motor and instead pays for a used one??? 100K miles on an S6 motor without any kind of service history? Run, don't walk, away?

+1. The guy probably got rich by making money off of suckers. Don't be one! There are better deals to be had (even in the classified section of Audizine).

KBRUCE23
03-31-2016, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't. And I doubt he'd even entertain your offer. Why not just find a used one with a good maintenance history in the low $20k range and avoid this whole situation in the first place? Plus...I don't know about anyone else but I'm not buying the "accidental diesel fill up" story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nizmo
03-31-2016, 07:48 PM
I am currently looking into purchasing a 2008 S6 that has recently received an engine swap. I am curious what exactly I might look for to determine the reliability of the restored vehicle. Back story as provided by the private seller.

(Wealthy gentlemen, lives in multi-million dollar home) Nephew borrowed the vehicle and accidentally filled it with Diesel fuel, thus destroying the engine (how did he even manage that??). Owner took it into the North Scottsdale Audi dealership to have to the work performed, replacing the destroyed engine, installed engine with 100k miles. Originally the vehicle only had 32k.

I have no reason to assume this is a scam of some sort, he is providing all the receipts for the work performed, I am just curious what I might be able to ask the dealership/owner to further comfort myself before making this transaction.

Asking price is $18,500 - I will take five off the top and offer $12,750.

Any suggestions/warnings for me going into this?

Id laugh at you if you came at me with 12.5k for my S6...

sun_dance
03-31-2016, 10:03 PM
I call BS on the story. I know of someone first-hand who actually, miraculously, filled diesel into the gasoline powered vehicle. Simply put, the car will not start and that's the end of it...you won't "junk" your engine, it simply won't ignite. You would need to drain the diesel from the gas tank and it would eventually start up.

c@@kieMonsta
03-31-2016, 10:59 PM
I call BS on the story. I know of someone first-hand who actually, miraculously, filled diesel into the gasoline powered vehicle. Simply put, the car will not start and that's the end of it...you won't "junk" your engine, it simply won't ignite. You would need to drain the diesel from the gas tank and it would eventually start up.
This.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nizmo
04-01-2016, 07:52 AM
This.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Siding with you. Saw it on Gumball 3000, Audi filled with diesel, drained and filled with gas.... Started right up.

*edit- I quote wrong people lol

PashaS4
04-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Get a 2007 E63 AMG... You'll be happy like me! [:D]

b6s4avantMBCA
04-01-2016, 06:33 PM
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/S6/THORNHILL/Ontario/19_9209342_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_6

100k mile for 18k CAD... thats like $12.5k USD

SinCityA6
04-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Id laugh at you if you came at me with 12.5k for my S6...

Difference here is you don't have an S6 with a motor in it that has 100k on the clock. Thanks for contributing nothing to the discussion.

PatPS6
04-03-2016, 05:17 PM
buy my S6 http://i68.tinypic.com/miciah.jpg

Nizmo
04-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Difference here is you don't have an S6 with a motor in it that has 100k on the clock. Thanks for contributing nothing to the discussion.

I actually have an S6, with 100k.....

No insult needed.

JayJayBayBay
04-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Thank you for everyone's responses, they are much appreciated.

KBRUCE23
04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
So what'd you decide? Ultimately you've gotta decide what works for you. Good luck either way man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk