PDA

View Full Version : Tire Balance Question

Hivolts
03-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Recently put new Continental DWS (245/40 18) on my '05 Audi A6. The tire shop said my wheels/tires didn't need balanced and showed me some mark on the rim that denotes balancing not needed. As you may guess, I have a vibration. So did he tell me a story?

se.farrell
03-30-2016, 03:49 PM
Recently put new Continental DWS (245/40 18) on my '05 Audi A6. The tire shop said my wheels/tires didn't need balanced and showed me some mark on the rim that denotes balancing not needed. As you may guess, I have a vibration. So did he tell me a story?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that guy's an idiot and they need to be balanced. I was under the impression that everything affects a tires balance. Let's say that you tires were balanced. The second you pull away from the tire shop they begin to come unbalanced. They will wear through normal driving and cornering, hitting potholes, etc. That's why they should be re-balanced when you rotate and/or @ regular intervals.

Am I crazy?

c@@kieMonsta
03-30-2016, 04:11 PM
Balancing is always needed!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SinCityA6
03-30-2016, 04:26 PM
ALWAYS balance a tire when installing new or when swapping from wheel to wheel. Even rebalance occasionally throughout the life of the tire for best performance and comfort.
Modern tires are marked to indicate the heaviest spot (yellow dot on the sidewall) and this should be mounted opposite the valve stem to MINIMIZE the amount of weight needed to balance the tire but does not eliminate the need to balance completely.
So yes, the guy at the tire shop is an idiot.

Whenever getting your tires balanced go to a shop the offers "Road Force Balancing". My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hivolts
03-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the idiot. I'll be visiting him tomorrow for sure. My wheels require the stick on weights I think as there is no lip and I'm guessing he doesn't do those. So much for saving on my mounting and balancing price. The regular tire shop I went to was down because their air compressor was broken so this was one of those "used tire" places on my way back to work.