PDA

View Full Version : Blown Engine- 2010 Audi A6 3.0T

heycap
03-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Hi Guys, I'm the unfortunate owner of a 2010 Audi A6 3.0T. Here's the gist. On my way home from work, the warning light came on indicating I needed to add coolant. The car has never given me any trouble. It has 103k miles and just got the 95K service with no issues. I stopped to dealership, they topped of the coolant and I drove off. A mile into the drive the temp gauge goes to hot. I return to Audi and leave it there. After a week I was told that the engine integrity was compromised: i.e. Blown Engine. I tried to get assistance thru AofA. After more than a month, the rep told me that they couldn't provide any assistance. Need your help. I still owe a little over $22K, and its worth no more than 16K or so. Does anyone know of a reputable place to purchase a used engine that comes with a warranty? Any suggestions to overcome this dilemma are appreciated. Thanks.

boomtime
03-30-2016, 02:06 PM
I think there was a recall for that if im not mistaken or at least a TSB by vin for thermostat... was it?

SlickMachine
03-30-2016, 02:17 PM
It can be done. Indy shop would be the way to go in my opinion. My business partner owns a small used car lot, long story short: he sold an A4 2.0T to a customer, within two weeks he brought it back because it was stalling out, blowing smoke, knocking, etc. Turns out there was a manufacturing defect in an intake valve which caused a chunk to break off and the engine ate it. He did the right thing and bought the car back,, Indy shop we both use located a used 2.0 and swapped it and although I don't remember the cost, I do remember being surprised thinking it would be more than what it was. He then resold the car to someone else, albeit at a lower price but loss was minimized this way. I know this doesn't help that much but thought I'd share the experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cal3thousand
03-30-2016, 02:55 PM
I would look at car-part.com or LKQ.com

I've had luck sourcing motors for other European makes 10 years ago. If you're mechanically inclined and have time, order one and do it. $100 cherry picker from Harbor Freight goes a long way.

I've seen some 3.2L on eBay for under 2500... not sure what a 3.0T would run. But a long block without supercharger can't be that much more.

Do you know what kind of damage is 'blown'? If it's a blown headgasket and you didn't warp the head, it's a simple headgasket replacement. Albeit one with a SC on top to remove first. And if the head is warped, it could be rebuilt if not too bad. OR you could buy a head and swap that in. Not sure if the head on a 3.2L and 3.0T are the same, but that would make it more affordable if so.

Overheating the motor is not as bad as skipping timing because the bottom end is likely ok on an overheat. On skipped or broken chain, fuggeddaboutit

Dutch_A6
03-30-2016, 03:57 PM
I believe the heads are a bit different since the bore & stroke are not the same. I have looked at car-part.com and they have a number of 3t engines with and without the supercharger, they run between 3500-4500 depending on mileage and with or without the blower.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

cal3thousand
03-30-2016, 04:18 PM
I believe the heads are a bit different since the bore & stroke are not the same. I have looked at car-part.com and they have a number of 3t engines with and without the supercharger, they run between 3500-4500 depending on mileage and with or without the blower.

It makes sense that they are different. Especially since you mentioned bore. I thought they just stroked the motor for less compression and displacement, but the bore is also larger (after some research).

Hey, 4500 for a motor isn't bad. But I would definitely look into a rebuild rather than a straight swap. Well... I guess it would depend on what side of the good/fast/cheap triangle you are standing.

Dutch_A6
03-30-2016, 04:22 PM
I think rebuilding would be the least costly option. To be honest I'm looking into doing a swap from my 3.2 to a 3t at some point as I think that will be cheaper than buying a new car as I love mine but need more power and I've seem plenty for less than 4k.

cal3thousand
03-30-2016, 04:33 PM
I think rebuilding would be the least costly option. To be honest I'm looking into doing a swap from my 3.2 to a 3t at some point as I think that will be cheaper than buying a new car as I love mine but need more power and I've seem plenty for less than 4k.

It may be cheaper.

Also remember that there is a Torsen change in 2009 that went to a 60/40 R/F torque bias for less understeer at cornering limits. Might be worth it to buy a 3.0T car and swap the things you like over and sell your 3.2L

Just some food for thought.

Dutch_A6
03-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Well at best it's just a thought right now, it was something I was thinking about if the engine blows but I'm hoping to get a long life out of this car, still have 14 more months till payoff.

IbisB8.5S4
03-30-2016, 04:37 PM
WTF man... this is two engines now that i've heard of in a couple days with coolant problems

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/697654-B8-S4-Engine-seized-Now-what

cal3thousand
03-30-2016, 05:07 PM
WTF man... this is two engines now that i've heard of in a couple days with coolant problems

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/697654-B8-S4-Engine-seized-Now-what

I just glanced over that thread and the first thing that stands out to me is that the air-to-water intercoolers were replaced recently. Looks like bad repair work rather than a design or build issue.

But, yea... it sucks in any case. I'm going to replace my water pump and plastic-ass thermostat soon, just for piece of mind.

heycap
04-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Hey guys I had a guy locate a used engine. It has about 75k miles. What's the shelf life on the replacement of a used engine. btw thanks for the great dialogue

v8a6
04-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Hey guys I had a guy locate a used engine. It has about 75k miles. What's the shelf life on the replacement of a used engine. btw thanks for the great dialogue

They expire faster than skim milk. Make sure it wasnt sitting on the shelf for more than a week, or it is trash.

heycap
09-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Hey guys I'm back after 6 months. Car still sitting. What are your thoughts of replacing my blown 2010 3.0 with a 2009 3.0. It seems cheaper. Are the engines compatible? I also had a thought of by a salvaged 2010 A6 3.0 from an auction yard. Desperate!!!!

Dutch_A6
09-08-2016, 10:52 AM
That should be a straight swap, 2009-2011 used the same engine, i believe tunning etc was changed when the C7 was introduced in 2012.

boomtime
09-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Hey guys I'm back after 6 months. Car still sitting. What are your thoughts of replacing my blown 2010 3.0 with a 2009 3.0. It seems cheaper. Are the engines compatible? I also had a thought of by a salvaged 2010 A6 3.0 from an auction yard. Desperate!!!!

Swap it out!

BTW how much they want for that engine?

JPJ2007
09-09-2016, 12:37 PM
In for updates.

I'm preparing to buy a 3.2 in the next couple years with 213k on my current motor.
But I want to turn this into my project next year buy picking up a c7 3.0. Kinda scary the issues I'm seeing with the 3.0 c7's

FormulaElement
09-11-2016, 02:21 AM
What kind of issues are you seeing. As far as I've seen they have been great engines. The earlier 3.0T's had some problems but most have been extremely reliable.

I'm just curious as I'm planning on buying a C7 in a few months and need a more reliable car than my 4.2 has been

JPJ2007
09-11-2016, 05:58 AM
An issue with the valves that was recalled or tsb? Oil Consumption Issues as well. There was a third thing but I haven't payed super close attention because im not in a position to
purchase one yet.

rayray
09-14-2016, 06:04 AM
I'm just curious to the outcome as I had a 2010 A6 3.0T

heycap, What's the details of your car? Where bought? How many miles on it when purchased? Any service history known?

swoboda84
09-14-2016, 08:18 AM

You should open the cylinder heads before you buy this engine! Did you hear something about the scratches in this engines?

silver911rdb
10-28-2018, 06:14 AM
Does anyone know if a 3.0 engine from a 2012+ later a6 will fit into his 2010 A6? I have the same situation right now. I have a cracked block on my 2010 a6 avant. Ideally I would like to buy the lowest mileage, newest engine I could find. Wondering if it was just tuning changes that were made on the later engines. Maybe these engines can be made to work in an earlier car?