PDA

View Full Version : 3.2L - Which oil do you guys use?

hiru
03-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys,

I had my first oil change since buying the A6 3.2L in January and after 3000 kms (about 1900 miles) I am getting the low oil light almost every week after topping up (or approx every 500-600 kms). No leaks on the floor or any check engine light and the car runs great.

I have searched everywhere about this issue but just wanted to chime in with you guys to see what your all using and how bad the oil loss is.

I used mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic.

I live up in Toronto, Canada so we get cold winters and hot summers.

I am considering trying Castrol Syntec 5W-30 for the next change.

What are your thoughts?

Dutch_A6
03-30-2016, 10:26 AM
My dealership uses the Castrol 5w-30 syntech for all my oil changed since I purchased mine at 84k now has 164k miles. Granted I've had to fix a leaky seal or 2 but if you aren't seeing any leaks you might have a faulty sensor.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

hiru
03-30-2016, 10:32 AM
I think the sensor is ok as when it does go off, the oil level is on the low side ...

SinCityA6
03-30-2016, 10:44 AM
I think the sensor is ok as when it does go off, the oil level is on the low side ...

The sensor should only go off when the oil hits the minimum level as indicated on the dipstick. Adding a quart brings it up to the top mark. So you are adding a quart every 500-600 km (350-375 miles)? This consumption seems very excessive to me and would be an indication of a leak somewhere. As our cars have a belly pan that can catch oil, not seeing a puddle is not necessary an indication that there is no leak. Have you pulled the belly pan off and inspected the motor from the underside?

As for oil, my indie shop has always changed my oil with 10w-40 full synthetic Mobile 1; I don't have the cold temps but I have HEAT!!

hiru
03-30-2016, 11:07 AM
Have not taken the belly pan out, will trying checking that to see if theres any leaks

c@@kieMonsta
03-30-2016, 12:17 PM
I'd think the leak would have to be quite massive if you are losing that much. You would still notice is without even having to remove the belly pan, it would just leak off of it onto the driveway/garage floor. Just from having leaky valve and timing chain covers, I saw oil on the floor without removing that cover. My guess is that it's consuming the oil more than likely - we've seen some 3.2's report large consumption amounts. What year is your vehicle and how many miles does it have?

cal3thousand
03-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Any 502.00 rated oil will be good for you. For your particular car, it could depend on climate as to what a better weight oil would be. I personally use Castrol Edge Professional 0w-40 in my 3.0T (in California), but I was also using that on my 3.2L when I had it. I've thought about switching to Mobil 1 as I always had good results in other cars. But lately, I buy (3) 5-Qt jugs from Amazon for $23 a jug. The price fluctuates up and down, but that's why I buy 3 of them when the price gets good. I've seen this oil cost $50 for a jug (likely what you'd pay at the stealership).

I would use M1 and Castrol interchangeably since their flow numbers are very close to each other. For me, I found a good price point on Castrol and it's the one recommended by Audi, so unless I'm getting a stellar deal on the M1 or the Castrol is not available, I'm sticking with the Castrol. If I'm not mistaken, It's the same formula as the 'German Castrol' that oil enthusiast folks were seeking out 8-10 years ago for import.

Quattrocentric
03-30-2016, 05:14 PM
I swear by Liqui-Moly 5W-40. My local NAPA Auto parts stocks it for $33.91 for the 5L, but I know it is sometimes available online for less.
...and yeah, you have a leak. Sorry.

ichi d
03-30-2016, 08:31 PM
i use 5-40 motul xcess and do my changes every 7000km i would only need to top up once.

Euro_head
03-30-2016, 09:14 PM
While we are on the oil leaks do you guys know the common leaks for the 3.2 . Mine started a very small leak on the rear of the Engine but it's very small and also one that drips here and there on the front of the engine on the left side (passenger)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiru
03-31-2016, 05:46 AM
no obvious leaks, its a 2006 with 97000kms (~60000miles), cheers for the input

cal3thousand
03-31-2016, 08:11 AM
While we are on the oil leaks do you guys know the common leaks for the 3.2 . Mine started a very small leak on the rear of the Engine but it's very small and also one that drips here and there on the front of the engine on the left side (passenger)

VC, Cam plugs and seals, and tensioner cover gaskets. The ones you are talking about are likely the cam plugs

Euro_head
03-31-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm about to see if fcp has all of that and just replace it all at once.

c@@kieMonsta
03-31-2016, 11:36 AM
Also, I would throw in main seal as well. Maybe not as common, but my previous C6 developed one @ 110k miles.

Euro_head
03-31-2016, 02:24 PM
The dealer actually replaced the rear main when I bought the car . Should I replace the bolts to the valve covers ?

cal3thousand
04-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Not unless you feel like spending extra money. They are plastic covers that don't have any real forces playing on them. I would not as these bolts should never reach anywhere near their yield in operation.

FormulaElement
04-01-2016, 11:35 PM
I would change your PCV valve if you aren't noticing a large leak. There were a couple years where VW/Audi used PCV's that are prone to fail.

My 4.2 was using a quart of oil every 1000 miles and then i changed my PCV and now I don't have to add any between oil changes (Every 5k miles)