PDA

View Full Version : Guys, how screwed am I?

c@@kieMonsta
03-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Driving to work today, about 2 miles before I got there, a "check coolant level, shut off engine" warning came on. I thought it might have been a faulty level sensor so I drove into work. I did t see the temp needle rise at all. Parked and popped my hood open and was met with a cloud of steam. Upper coolant hose came off. Did I destroy my engine?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160324/563261d45125e4b2909ec8d2ce52646f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FL C6 Avant
03-24-2016, 09:05 AM
which hose? very bottom of frame and to the left?
if it was still running smooth, my *guess* would be u ok?
can you tell (once cooled off) how much fluid remains in the system?
if heads are still immersed, then i think you dodged it--we know you'll get it fixed, photos of the old hose once replaced would be appreciated.
to be safe, you might want to change the oil soon also. synth or not, it is possibly heat stressed.

are you going to cut over to G13?

c@@kieMonsta
03-24-2016, 09:17 AM
which hose? very bottom of frame and to the left?
if it was still running smooth, my *guess* would be u ok?
can you tell (once cooled off) how much fluid remains in the system?
if heads are still immersed, then i think you dodged it--we know you'll get it fixed, photos of the old hose once replaced would be appreciated.
to be safe, you might want to change the oil soon also. synth or not, it is possibly heat stressed.

are you going to cut over to G13?
It's the big one in the middle of the pic

c@@kieMonsta
03-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Ok so I ran over to the dealer and pick up a gallon G13. Based on how much I put back in, I lost what was in the expansion tank, plus half that. I think I dodged a bullet. Cart started up with no issues, and I drove around the block. Coolant level stayed the same.

OmaHahn
03-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Change your oil too - be safe! If the engine got really hot you lost a lot of life on that oil.

c@@kieMonsta
03-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Change your oil too - be safe! If the engine got really hot you lost a lot of life on that oil.

I changed the oil about 50 miles ago with 0W-40 fully synthetic. Still worth changing it?

ichi d
03-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Yes just to be safe oil changes don't cost that much I would do it asap.

c@@kieMonsta
03-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Yes just to be safe oil changes don't cost that much I would do it asap.

Ok, I'll do it. Thanks guys.

kocyk123
03-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Glad to hear about the happy ending!

c@@kieMonsta
03-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear about the happy ending!
Yeah turned it out just fine at the end. No white smoke from exhaust, bubbles in the coolant tank, coolant on the dipstick and oil cap, and no power issues. The car saved itself at the end by going into limp mode the last 5 seconds as I was pulling into the parking stall. Gotta love technology.

Bro in law says the real test will be when temps here in Boise hit 100+. If the car stays cooled then, then I'll be golden.

kocyk123
03-25-2016, 05:14 PM
I keep my fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FL C6 Avant
03-26-2016, 05:28 PM
It's the big one in the middle of the pic

Glad you are up and running again with no catastrophic failure.
But What actually happened? did the hose rupture? plastic clamp fail? I really can't tell from the photo, but I'd like to learn and hopefully prevent the same fate.....

c@@kieMonsta
03-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Glad you are up and running again with no catastrophic failure.
But What actually happened? did the hose rupture? plastic clamp fail? I really can't tell from the photo, but I'd like to learn and hopefully prevent the same fate.....

Nope, it was something stupid I did. I removed the metal retaining clip from the hose a while back because I needed it for my other C6 since I lost it(found it later). Anyways, after I found the missing one, I put this one back on. Well I didn't seat it properly and it was pretty loose at the time(something I thought was odd, but didn't try to mess with it more). Well since the clip was loose, the hose inevitably came off under pressure. The clip was still there when the hose came loose. Long story short, i reattached the hose and made sure to secure the clip properly(which it did).

Quattrocentric
03-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Glad to hear it worked out for you! I know that sickening feeling all too well...