PDA

View Full Version : 034 Billet Pcv Valve

Tanzimur
03-17-2016, 09:23 PM
I know this topic is beaten to death but like many others when going to a bigger turbo setup we get the oem pcv valve fail on us and end up pressurizing the block even more and have oil blowing out of seals we dont like, i see that most people have a problem with dumping to ground especially if they upgraded to the spring style front and rear seals that require a small vacuum to hold those in and not seap oil, and was wondering if this billet aluminum works as great as they make it seem, especially since its not a diaphragm instead a ball and spring setup!

19birel
03-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately I can't be of much help on this topic, but I think you might be able to answer a question I've had for quite some time. Does the PCV system, in stock formation require vacuum to work effectively? I assume it does but wanted confirmation, as I currently dump to atmosphere (due to a broken pipe) and plan to fix it, but if it doesn't need vacuum I'd rather just leave it as is. I've searched everywhere for a more definitive answer, but how found people arguing both sides.

Thanks

B5nDisciple
03-17-2016, 10:01 PM
I've actually heard the 034 pcv valve does not work well.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Tanzimur
03-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately I can't be of much help on this topic, but I think you might be able to answer a question I've had for quite some time. Does the PCV system, in stock formation require vacuum to work effectively? I assume it does but wanted confirmation, as I currently dump to atmosphere (due to a broken pipe) and plan to fix it, but if it doesn't need vacuum I'd rather just leave it as is. I've searched everywhere for a more definitive answer, but how found people arguing both sides.

Thanks

ye that is an arguable question but most dump to ground without any problem, reason it needs vacuum so to say is so the oily waste isnt ending up on the ground but instead recirc through the system for emission purposes. Thats from my understandings of what other argue.

- - - Updated - - -

I've actually heard the 034 pcv valve does not work well.

ye i see some bad reveiws but thats from waaay back and since then i do see they have revised the product very well!

B5nDisciple
03-17-2016, 10:09 PM
ye that is an arguable question but most dump to ground without any problem, reason it needs vacuum so to say is so the oily waste isnt ending up on the ground but instead recirc through the system for emission purposes. Thats from my understandings of what other argue.

- - - Updated - - -

ye i see some bad reveiws but thats from waaay back and since then i do see they have revised the product very well!
Hmm, curious if anyone can chime in? I believe Metalman removed the 034 piece because it wasn't working properly (could have been someone else).

I replaced my pcv with an oem piece just recently as I have my IM removed and I'm going through my vacuum lines and check valves.

Tanzimur
03-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Hmm, curious if anyone can chime in? I believe Metalman removed the 034 piece because it wasn't working properly (could have been someone else).

I replaced my pcv with an oem piece just recently as I have my IM removed and I'm going through my vacuum lines and check valves.

ye i ordered an oem replacement with the whole 3 way and lets just say it does not hold up to a k04 rs6 hybrid boost... thats why i ask i dont want to risk running to atmosphere and blowing out the crank seal again...

MetalMan
03-17-2016, 10:32 PM

Supposedly the current billet PCV valve should be fine. It was the older PCV valve that I had... it caused an annoying idle issue on my old AEB car, that I threw $$$ in parts at trying to resolve, until I realized the issue started after installing the 034 valve. Replaced with an OEM PCV valve and problem solved.
About a year ago I finally returned that old PCV valve and was able to get 034 store credit.

I run the Genuine PCV valve now. It does leak a tiny bit. I'm rather curious how good the current (revised) billet valves are, but haven't felt an urge to try one out.

B5nDisciple
03-17-2016, 10:47 PM
Supposedly the current billet PCV valve should be fine. It was the older PCV valve that I had... it caused an annoying idle issue on my old AEB car, that I threw $$$ in parts at trying to resolve, until I realized the issue started after installing the 034 valve. Replaced with an OEM PCV valve and problem solved.
About a year ago I finally returned that old PCV valve and was able to get 034 store credit.

I run the Genuine PCV valve now. It does leak a tiny bit. I'm rather curious how good the current (revised) billet valves are, but haven't felt an urge to try one out.
Thanks for the feedback Travis!

Curious if anyone is having good results with the new billet valve that can chime in?

Davdraco1
03-17-2016, 10:53 PM
ye i ordered an oem replacement with the whole 3 way and lets just say it does not hold up to a k04 rs6 hybrid boost... thats why i ask i dont want to risk running to atmosphere and blowing out the crank seal again...

How would running to atmosphere blow seals out?

Tanzimur
03-18-2016, 06:57 AM
How would running to atmosphere blow seals out?

I dont know if it was a coincidence at the time, but before i had installed this engine i redid all the seals with he latest and greatest and supposedly the newer seals with the spring around them require a small amount of crankcase vacuum or they blow out if there isnt anyway and thats what happened one day after i tried it reinstalled pcv and re did the crank seal and all was good.

Tanzimur
03-18-2016, 06:58 AM
I guess it could be a possibility that my pcv box to the block could be filled with crud or i need to run the billet lug instead of running a hose off the small piece that clips ino the block

Davdraco1
03-18-2016, 07:11 AM
I have the 1 in 034 crank case adapter and am just dumping to the ground. Haven't blown any seals.

Tanzimur
03-18-2016, 07:33 AM
The billet aluminum 3/4 plug right? And u blocked off the tip hole and manifold?

DoesntCare
03-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Here is an article about Crank Case Ventilation:

http://www.allanglesdesign.com/portals/0/BlogFiles/CCV_Bible.pdf

Personally I ran a recirculating catch can system with no PCV valve on my last 1.8t, and intend on doing so with this one as well.

B5nDisciple
03-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Anyone having good results with the revised version?

Wrath And Tears
03-19-2016, 08:58 PM
I am running the updated CCV kit from 034 but for AEB. No complaints or issues on my end. No leaks or drips, and it works better with the APR TIP then the stock hard line.

OverSpun
03-19-2016, 10:18 PM
I am running the updated CCV kit from 034 but for AEB. No complaints or issues on my end. No leaks or drips, and it works better with the APR TIP then the stock hard line.

When was it revised? My Breather kit w/ billet PCV valve from July 2013.

MetalMan
03-20-2016, 10:47 AM
When was it revised? My Breather kit w/ billet PCV valve from July 2013.

I think you should have the revised one. My pre-revision one was purchased late January/early February 2012. Symptoms included fluctuating idle, at least on my old AEB.

pbcrazy
03-20-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure if I have the updated version (bought the kit in 2013 but not directly from 034 so it may have been sitting around for awhile), but I haven't had any (noticeable) issues with idle anymore than normal

OverSpun
03-20-2016, 03:24 PM
I think you should have the revised one. My pre-revision one was purchased late January/early February 2012. Symptoms included fluctuating idle, at least on my old AEB.

Thanks, thats good to know. How much did it fluctuate?

MetalMan
03-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Thanks, thats good to know. How much did it fluctuate?

If normal idle was ~850 RPM, it would go up to ~1300 RPM on occasion, at random. Keep in mind this was DBC, and DBW may respond differently.

OverSpun
03-20-2016, 11:08 PM
If normal idle was ~850 RPM, it would go up to ~1300 RPM on occasion, at random. Keep in mind this was DBC, and DBW may respond differently.

That's definitely a lot different from mine but it doesn't really bother me. It idles 800 / 840 sometimes (840 is normal with mine...). May only happen until the car is fully warm but I don't pay enough attention since it's not much.

pbcrazy
03-21-2016, 08:55 AM

That's definitely a lot different from mine but it doesn't really bother me. It idles 800 / 840 sometimes (840 is normal with mine...). May only happen until the car is fully warm but I don't pay enough attention since it's not much.

FWIW, not sure if related to the pcv or my injectors (installed both at the same time), but I idle at 1-1100 pretty much all the time. That being said, it hasn't ever affected anything and hasn't caused any other issues.

MetalMan
03-21-2016, 11:28 AM
FWIW, not sure if related to the pcv or my injectors (installed both at the same time), but I idle at 1-1100 pretty much all the time. That being said, it hasn't ever affected anything and hasn't caused any other issues.

I think it's abnormal to idle that high... Your tune (same one I ran) should idle between 800-900 RPM. You can simply try pinching the line between PCV valve and intake manifold and see if that makes a difference. Can try pinching other various vacuum lines and see if anything changes.

Also might be worth verifying that when you instrument cluster shows 1100 RPM, that the ECU is reporting the same speed (using VCDS or any generic OBDII reader).