PDA

View Full Version : De-partment of the interior

A4ski
03-12-2016, 06:19 AM
Good morning fellas, I'll try to be brief: Found a craigslist ad for some decent wheels at a good price, so I went to get them, and the guy has a complete 98 A4 he's gonna scrap real soon. Runs rough, but the body is CLEAN. I have a 2001, and I know there are exterior differences, but I am buying his hood, bumper, and he threw in the fenders which I don't need but can probably get my money back on. I have some slight bubbling in the paint on my rear doors by the bottom trim, and I was thinking of grabbing his too, but the belt trim door handles and interior are not a match. My question is will the trim, handles and inner door panels swap out, or would scraping off the bubbled paint and getting the doors sprayed be easier? I personally hate messing with interior panels.

Thanks!

GrapeBandit
03-12-2016, 06:35 AM
trim and interior door panels will swap out, door handles will not.

A4ski
03-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Thought so, thanks. Ya know, I found a neat photo chart of all the b5 exterior variations over the years, but the one thing it doesn't show is the doors. Go figure.

redline380
03-12-2016, 10:43 AM
You have to be careful here because he has a pre face lift. I'm sure you can make them work, but hood, fender, bumper, mirrors etc are all different. I am not positive on the doors though.

Again, all these things should be workable, but I know for instance the fenders need a little trimming to use your one piece headlights.

A4ski
03-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Luckily, I'm not using the fenders, I hate the little orange marker light on the 98, makes it look like a jetta. The only difference I see in the hood is the washer squirters are hidden on my 01, and on the hood on the 98. Shouldn't be a problem to make that work. I'm doing the swap tomorrow, so I'll issue a full report on any fitment issues after all is said and done. I'm very curious because my poking around on this and other sites has led me to quite a bit of contradictory information.

A4ski
03-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Ook, upon closer inspection, the RH fender has a "Made in Taiwan" sticker inside, and does not have the tar-like inner coating that the LH does. WTF? Otherwise, they are identical, but I guess I'm not getting my money back out of the RH one, unless there is a city in Germany named Taiwan.

walky_talky20
03-13-2016, 07:14 PM
With the jokes, sir! And the tread title, too.

10 points.

A4ski
03-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Well, I'm glad SOMEone appreciates my titles, I do put a bit of effort into them.

Partial report: Hood swap was a no brainer. Simply cut the washer lines and joined them with a readily available union from my parts box. Spliced the heating wires too. The hood mount spray nozzles, while more disruptive of the clean exterior lines, are far more effective than the hidden ones on the original. So, I say that $150 for an unscratched, rust-free OEM hood was a deal. Bumper is going on tomorrow, again, no scratches, OEM, right color. $50. I wish I could have used his doors. Sigh....

walky_talky20
03-14-2016, 09:27 AM
That is a good deal. I need a hood, too. Mine has a little dent and is rusting under the grill a bit. I feel like the Red will not match as well, though (fading and what-have-you). For now I just cover things in RDT (Red Duct Tape). It's a really good match!

A4ski
03-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Hey, if you can't find a red one, my old silver one is dent-free, and just a teeny patch of bubble rust under the grill. You'd just need to paint it, or get about 9 rolls of RDT. Free if you come get it. Erie is an hour from me. My girlfriend is ready to kill me over the ever increasing pile in the garage, and this hood leaning on my old wheels is not helping.

walky_talky20
03-14-2016, 09:42 AM
9 rolls should do it. lol

I noticed you have a k0mpresd tune with anti-lag. How do you like it? Do you have the launch control thing? No lift shift? Do tell.

A4ski
03-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Well, that being the sole performance mod on my car, I only got it because it was plug-n-play and promised a moderate HP gain. Very noticeable difference in response on the mid to high end, at about 3-3500 and on. Good price, and now I have an extra ecu. I read some reviews of his tunes before I bought, and they were overwhelmingly positive. I'm more of a restore and maintain kinda guy than a hot rodder, and ironically, being on this forum has made me even more loathe to upgrade, seeing all the issues others have when they do. This car runs like new, everything works, and I'm not gonna fix it if it ain't broke, BUT I did recently grab a 1987 300zx turbo ($500, CLEAN body but for one fender) which I WILL be upgrading. I won't cry if I ruin that, but I would if I ruined my A4.

A4ski
03-15-2016, 03:28 PM
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah233/MZ250Ben/Audi%20A6/IMAG0273_zpse1emfn76.jpg (http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/MZ250Ben/media/Audi%20A6/IMAG0273_zpse1emfn76.jpg.html)

Final report: 98 hood and bumper went on with no issues or serious modifications. The old bumper was cracked and hanging off by the front wheels. This is the best this car has looked since I got got it! Now I'll probably hit a moose tomorrow...

walky_talky20
03-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Car looks good!

Does your tune have launch control and/or no-lift shift?

A4ski
03-16-2016, 04:25 AM
I really don't think so, I would think that's the kind of thing he would put in the description, and it sure didn't mention either of those features. Is there any way to tell short of looking at the coding? Checked my old messages and the links to the description have expired.

walky_talky20
03-16-2016, 08:50 AM
I would just try it to see if the features are there. At idle, just pin the throttle and see when it hits the limiter. Traditionally it's a fuel cut limiter. My understanding is the "anti-lag" would be cutting spark instead, so you get all those secondary explosions in manifold/turbo. The launch control aspect means the rev limiter is somewhat lower RPM when vehicle speed is Zero MPH, as opposed to when moving. Maybe 4500 or something. I don't know what people typically choose on these cars. Likewise, while you are driving, just clutch in and leave the throttle pinned. See where the limiter is. If it goes to redline, then you should probably be lifting for the shifts. ;)

Obviously you don't have to go bang the engine off the limiter. You can approach is slowly with less than WOT. But if you get to 5500 or 6k, you can expect there is nothing special programmed.

A4ski
03-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Well, now you've got me thinkin...I honestly don't believe I've ever revved my car that high. I will try what you said and report back. Sounds to me like "launch control" is a feature for preventing catastrophic drivetrain damage by drivers who rev the engine and dump the clutch, which I would NEVER do (in my own car, anyway). Now, the no-lift shift thing sounds like something I'd enjoy, I hope it DOES have that. Thanks for the info!

cavekidd
03-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Ook, upon closer inspection, the RH fender has a "Made in Taiwan" sticker inside, and does not have the tar-like inner coating that the LH does. WTF? Otherwise, they are identical, but I guess I'm not getting my money back out of the RH one, unless there is a city in Germany named Taiwan.

LOOOOL

Go to a junkyard asap

A4ski
03-18-2016, 04:08 AM
I swear I read somewhere that there in an old DKW factory in Taiwan where they still make Audi parts...Honest!

PS: I did the rev test to satisfy Mr. Talky's curiosity, and no dice. All the way up to 6 grand plus, no limiter anywhere before the redline, vehicle moving or stationary. I'm sure that K0mpresd fellow would dial it in for me if I sent him my ecu and some more money.