PDA

View Full Version : B5 Air Re-Circulation

woolveren
03-09-2016, 10:21 AM
In early B5 A4's(96-98.5), the air re-circulation option can be turned ON only if the AC compressor is ON. But in extreme cold weathers, AC compressor cannot be turned ON which in turn makes the air re-circulation option useless. But I read online that on facelift A4's we can press the ECON button and that will keep the air-recirculaation option ON even when the AC compressor is turned OFF. Can someone with facelift A4 confirm this?

Also, if I retrofit the face-lift climate control unit(center console swap) in my 98, will I also get the air re-circulation function when AC compressor not ON as in facelift A4's?
Or does it require a VAG com re-coding in ECM? I know the pins and connectors for pre-facelift and facelift HVAC units are identical so wondering what is the case..

cclarkb5
03-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Facelift here and I almost always use ECON. I'm 90% sure I can recirculate, will confirm when I get in next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cclarkb5
03-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Yeah when hit recirc it turns my ac on, but I can hit Econ to force it back off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MetalMan
03-09-2016, 02:25 PM

Agreed. I just played with it briefly on my lunch break and like you said, when you hit the recirculation button, the AC compressor turns on, but you can turn that off by pressing the ECON button.

woolveren
03-09-2016, 07:49 PM

Agreed. I just played with it briefly on my lunch break and like you said, when you hit the recirculation button, the AC compressor turns on, but you can turn that off by pressing the ECON button.

Thanks for confirming guys..

So does anybody know whether retrofitting the facelift climate control unit into older B5's make the re-circulation work when the compressor is OFF?

I have a full facelift console and cage along with the the climate control unit available from a parts car, and I am ready to do the swap if I can get the air re-circulation work the facelift way..