PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild?

gauramohana
02-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Hi!

My friend was driving his B5 A4 down the road a few months ago and all of a sudden it sounded really bad (explosions) and died. He pulled over and towed the car to my place.

It isn't worth much at all and he basically is ok with me junking it.

I've done a compression test and I get 0 on all cylinders - the timing belt does seem to be intact. I'm relatively handy and fix computers and phones.

Is there anything I can do personally to fix it, or should it go to the junker?

redline380
02-22-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm relatively handy and fix computers and phones.

I could get some cheap laughs here, but I'lll spare you. Basically, computers and cellular phones =/= motors.

With that said, I'm willing to bet the tbelt is snapped. It is basically the only thing that would cause absolutely 0 compression across the board.

What to do with it? That all depends on motor, year, mileage quattro/FWD, condition.... Some pics of the car would help.

gauramohana
02-22-2016, 07:13 PM
I agree with you 100%. I've worked on my VW passat a couple of times and my comfort level is so different.

I took off the timing belt and it seems to be in great condition visually.

It's a V6 2.8l I believe in so-so condition.

tar
02-22-2016, 08:56 PM
V6 in my opinion isn't worth saving. Unless super rare color and stick shift Quattro 2000-2001. Then I say 1.8t swap it

Turbo_B5
02-22-2016, 10:05 PM
V6 in my opinion isn't worth saving. Unless super rare color and stick shift Quattro 2000-2001. Then I say 1.8t swap it

2x

gauramohana
02-23-2016, 08:09 AM
It's an ugly yellow which he bought for $700 two years ago :)

Just out of curiosity what would a DIY repair for the worst case scenario look like?

freebeer256
02-23-2016, 09:50 AM
But the yellow ones are awesome!!!!!

Avant Nate
02-23-2016, 09:51 AM
If it's ugly to you, then toss it. My vote, vr6t.

RoadRage
02-23-2016, 09:58 AM
TTv8 swap.

elduderino200
02-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Do you have another working car to use? i.e. a daily
Do you have quite a bit of spare time to work on it?
Do you want this as a hobby?
Do you have a few thousand dollars to invest in a car that you might not have around for years to come?

tar
02-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Do you have another working car to use? i.e. a daily
Do you have quite a bit of spare time to work on it?
Do you want this as a hobby?
Do you have a few thousand dollars to burn in a car that you might not have around for years to come?

Fixed. Investments usually pay off this one 100% won't.
I vote motor swap yellow is worth saving even if Its the worst shade of yellow ever.
But it is rare if Quattro and stick. Avant even more so

Wrath And Tears
02-23-2016, 02:30 PM
I agree with you 100%. I've worked on my VW passat a couple of times and my comfort level is so different.

I took off the timing belt and it seems to be in great condition visually.

It's a V6 2.8l I believe in so-so condition.

This makes me question a whole lot based off your previous statements. Timing belts aren't easy to get off. Are you sure you aren't looking at the drive belt? Like to remove the timing belt itself you would have had to take the front clip off the car (or put in service position) then remove the drive belts and tensioner, crankshaft pully, timing covers, then loosen the timing belt tensioner and finally remove the timing belt. If you didn't touch anything and just looked down at the engine you would be looking at the drive belt. I don't mean to insult you but in my book "worked on my passat a couple of times" means maybe you can change the oil. I guess the fact you did a compression test means you have more experience then I'm assuming.

If the timing belt and components were fine then you should have compression on at least one cylinder, unless you did the test wrong.

Seerlah
02-23-2016, 02:57 PM
By your first post, you have internal damage regardless. Heads will need to be pulled at bear minimum to get her back on the road. People are here to assist you, if you want to personally turn this into a project. But he forewarned, it is not really a task for one not mechanically inclined. Anything can be learned, but if you are not mechanically inclined then I suggest you look into an alternative (ie pay shop to swap in used engine, part car and pocket money, donate, etc).

Step one: Pull back (meaning towards front of car) one of the cylinder head timing belt covers. It will have a metal clip that just hooks onto the cast metal block. Just unclip, pull the black cover forward, and see how the belt behind that looks. Most likely it won't be there or will be shredded. But by some stroke of luck it looks intact, then check for tension on it. Simply push down on any side of the belt coming off either side of the cam gear (it should be tight and not be able to be moved except maybe 1-2mm deflection). Report back after doing this.

Turbo_B5
02-23-2016, 03:05 PM
But the yellow ones are awesome!!!!!

x2 I wish I had one. v8 swap.