PDA

View Full Version : Quattro 1.9 to 2.5 tdi conversion, track car aspirations

sxcurtin
02-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Hi, I'm looking for some information about a possible engine swap. Will the AKE engine from a B6 fit the gearbox of a B5 pre-facelift quattro? I'm not sure if it's 5 or 6 speed, all I know as of now is it's a 1.9 engine in the B5 originally. I'm guessing I'd need the b5 2.5 sub frame, and ECU and wiring harness from a B6, and possibly B6 clocks. I know it's easier and less hassle to get a 2.5 b5, but they're so rare it's not feasible. There's only one 1.9 quattro saloon for sale in all of Ireland as of now! I'm looking for a B5 2.5 tdi quattro to turn into a track car. I already know it's not everyone's taste, but it is mine. I would like a B5 over a B6 as they're lighter, and look a lot better in my opinion. Saloon preferably, as they're supposedly stiffer, and again I think they look better. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really grateful! I've dreams of a ~300hp quattro with a bonnet exhaust flying past quick petrol cars on the track! :)

Nollywood
02-17-2016, 09:12 AM
The 2.5 V6 TDI from the B6 WILL fit the 01A / 01E in the B5.

The wiring however will be the head scratching part. Not impossible, but not straight forward either. Just in case you would rather use the 2.5 V6 TDI from a B5, I have a complete running car - a 2000 B5 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro Sport, 6-speed manual, if you're interested.

sxcurtin
02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm not phased by the wiring, I'm handy with that stuff. Tell me more of the b5 you have. Where are you based? What engine code? How many miles? Any modifications currently on the car/ done previously? PM me a price to if you wish! I really appreciate the help! :)

sxcurtin
02-19-2016, 03:28 AM
Can you tell me if the subframe will also need to be changed to fit an AKE in where a 1.9 once was? Anything else that pops to mind that may need to be switched? How much HP/LBFT can the Stock DMF take? I understand an SRE clutch is the way to go, which I am finding difficult to locate. But how much abuse will the DMF take?