PDA

View Full Version : Is 75kg or 165 lbs really THAT big of a difference?

mosnet99
02-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm trying to decide which is better between b5 and b6 and upon my research I've found pages and pages of rave reviews of how nimble and better handling the B5 is. I also noticed there IS a difference in weight between a B6 FWD and Quattro, but not a weight difference between FWD and Quattro in a B5?? My question is if a b6 Quattro is 3400lbs and a B5 Quattro is 3241lbs, is 165 lbs really THAT much of a difference to make a car worlds better in handling and racing?

MarcRogers
02-16-2016, 03:53 PM
There is a weight difference in the b5 FWD and Quattro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mosnet99
02-16-2016, 04:42 PM
There is a weight difference in the b5 FWD and Quattro

The manual says 3241 regardless of FWD or Quattro.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

MarcRogers
02-16-2016, 04:48 PM
FWD-2579lbs
Quattro-2899

JDillon15
02-16-2016, 04:48 PM
165 pounds in racing? Yes.

But you shouldn't be racing an Audi B5 or B6. They're what, 11-17 year old cars?

Kronprinz
02-16-2016, 05:17 PM
FWD-2579lbs
Quattro-2899

Yea, add about 400lbs to both of those

tar
02-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Yea, add about 400lbs to both of those

Lols. I wish my car weighed 2900

mosnet99
02-16-2016, 05:40 PM
165 pounds in racing? Yes.

But you shouldn't be racing an Audi B5 or B6. They're what, 11-17 year old cars?
I'd be surprised if there are any members on here that have stayed completely stock....and you're telling me nobody races these cars? http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/3b4d0a96f7bbaae3706b37cf5687022b.jpg

Kronprinz
02-16-2016, 06:38 PM

So one should only race cars that are 10 years old or newer[facepalm]

vrmm
02-16-2016, 07:57 PM
I have a friend who swears every pound counts. I for one couldn't care less and have over 150lbs of random shit in my car at all times. Mostly tools and audio stuff. I personally think 160 is negligible, but I can feel a difference with two lardo's in my car adding about 400lbs, so it does do something, but spread throughout the car I'd imagine it would be better/not really noticeable. I wouldn't say my b5 is a nimble track machine and I'd assume a b6 is not either.

With a proper suspension setup I wouldn't imagine there's much difference. My advice for either is get the biggest rear sway you can buy and reinforce it however you can. I have oversteer with mine and it's fantastic.

mosnet99
02-17-2016, 10:38 AM
So basically we're talking about a 100lbs difference when conparing B5 & B6 Quattro. Still don't get why everyone says the B5 is so "nimble" when the B6 has better suspension geometry and only an INCH longer & wider.

Wrath And Tears
02-17-2016, 11:11 AM
So basically we're talking about a 100lbs difference when conparing B5 & B6 Quattro. Still don't get why everyone says the B5 is so "nimble" when the B6 has better suspension geometry and only an INCH longer & wider.

You can look at numbers and say well there is only this much difference, it couldn't be that noticeable right? But then once you actually drive the car you can feel every single little difference. As a driver the B6 is slower, uglier, fatter, rounder, and over all worse. But a B6 quattro is still better then a b5 FWD [=(]

How does the B6 have better suspension geometry? From what I remember its the same set up two control arms up top and two down below.

Nollywood
02-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Wrath, the B6 rear suspension set-up is more sophisticated than that of the B5. The B6 FWD rear is also independent, same as on the Quattro version, unlike on the B5 FWD, which runs a torsion beam at the rear, carried over from the B4 Audi 80 / 90 range.

Kronprinz
02-17-2016, 11:58 AM
As a driver the B6 is slower, uglier, fatter, rounder, and over all worse.
The a4 gets bigger and uglier every time a new body style comes out. I hate it.

B-Time
02-17-2016, 12:30 PM

You don't know what you are talking about.

LA4
02-17-2016, 12:44 PM
The a4 gets bigger and uglier every time a new body style comes out. I hate it.

Bigger maybe.

But in the looks department B7 > B6 every day of the week.

JDillon15
02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
I'd be surprised if there are any members on here that have stayed completely stock....and you're telling me nobody races these cars? http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/3b4d0a96f7bbaae3706b37cf5687022b.jpg

So one should only race cars that are 10 years old or newer[facepalm]

You don't know what you are talking about.

I guess, how are you guys defining "race car"? Are we talking one car vs another or on a track?

here's how I see it, if you want to modify the car, drive it aggressively and enjoy the car, who cares how old it is? You just want to maintain it. My last two cars have had over 100k on them and both were tuned. I just don't know that I would go out and try racing other cars. I tuned the car for my own enjoyment, not to get beat by all of the significantly faster other cars out there.

I guess I'm also a little confused by what the OP is trying to do. You just looking for something that handles well? Handling can be changed significantly in your suspension set up. If you're looking for speed, I would compare times rather than weight.

mosnet99
02-17-2016, 12:54 PM
I guess, how are you guys defining "race car"? Are we talking one car vs another or on a track?

here's how I see it, if you want to modify the car, drive it aggressively and enjoy the car, who cares how old it is? You just want to maintain it. My last two cars have had over 100k on them and both were tuned. I just don't know that I would go out and try racing other cars. I tuned the car for my own enjoyment, not to get beat by all of the significantly faster other cars out there.

I guess I'm also a little confused by what the OP is trying to do. You just looking for something that handles well? Handling can be changed significantly in your suspension set up. If you're looking for speed, I would compare times rather than weight.
I want to start off modding for my own enjoyment then as time goes on and mods get bigger having the option to race it. The USP B6 is a lot better than a regular one that's the only reason I considered it. Then 6 speed put me over the edge.

B-Time
02-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Wheel to wheel racing on a track. I've raced one and it was a blast. Very easy to modulate slip angle.

JDillon15
02-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Wheel to wheel racing on a track. I've raced one and it was a blast. Very easy to modulate slip angle.

Sure. And I can see that being a lot of fun as well. I don't know that I would buy either of these cars to purely race then, but that's a matter of opinion.

B-Time
02-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Sure. And I can see that being a lot of fun as well. I don't know that I would buy either of these cars to purely race then, but that's a matter of opinion.

Your opinion may be swayed if you sat in a gutted and caged one.

JDillon15
02-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Your opinion may be swayed if you sat in a gutted and caged one.

It very well could be. [up]

tar
02-17-2016, 03:00 PM
So a tune makes it a race car to you?
Op is talking a car to build not a tune from a bankrupt company

Wrath And Tears
02-17-2016, 06:07 PM
So a tune makes it a race car to you?
Op is talking a car to build not a tune from a bankrupt company

Who are you responding to? The only person to mention a tune is JDillon and he's on the B5/B6 is not a race car team... also no one mentions a tune from a company so how do you know this non-named company is bankrupt? What kind of drugs are you on and where can I get some. That or learn how to quote a post. Forums have been around for over 25 years now, so let's get with the 21st Century and learn to internets.

Wrath, the B6 rear suspension set-up is more sophisticated than that of the B5. The B6 FWD rear is also independent, same as on the Quattro version, unlike on the B5 FWD, which rubs a torsion beam at the rear, carried over from the B4 Audi 80 / 90 range.

I was more interested in what it was that they changed to make the geometry more advanced. I know each generation of the B gets improved, but from visually looking at B5/B6/B7/B8 suspension set ups they look more or less the same two control arms up top and two down below. These 4 control arms are used to create a 3D axis something something something something (don't quite remember the technical jargon). But more or less what it means is that the setup of the control arms is what is used to create the suspension geometry (right? or do I have that wrong?). Since the setup hasn't changed I am simply wondering what they did to make the suspension geometry more advance. If it is simply that the parts became more sophisticated allowing Audi to push the envelope or whatever, that makes sense.