PDA

View Full Version : Which oil to put in when history is vague 2001 A4 167K

Porschecrazed
02-12-2016, 07:35 PM
After buying a 01 A4 1.8T with 167K, I have been reading forums.
I have no idea what oil is in the car and want to change it. How do I decide if it's synthetic or conventional and/or what should I use?
It sounds like there have been oil problems with the 1.8T in general
and that there is a best oil/weight/oil filter to use?

adam044
02-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Change it and run whatever you want... I went from conventional to full synthetic, theres no reason why you can't do that as long as you drain all the oil out. Many people here use Rotella T6, it is about $20-$22/gallon at Walmart.

Haven't heard about oil problems in 1.8's maybe you are thinking 2.0s?

Wrath And Tears
02-12-2016, 07:50 PM
I believe our cars spec from VW/Audi is 502.00 so you can look for an oil that meets those qualifications, all will be full synthetic oils (note companies have to pay to get that qualification, and for that reason Rotella T6 which doesn't have that stamp is still a good quality oil that people run.)

As far as weights go traditional is 5w30 or 5w40. I've run some 0w40 that meets the 502.00 spec. Also oil weight is suggested based on average temperatures on the region you live in. Your owners manual should explain more if you have it.

A1 A2 German
02-12-2016, 07:59 PM
T6 [up]

I went from the cheapest dino to T6, the car loves it, after that it's nit picking.....over welming the T6 gets a broad thumbs up.

VanCityA4Q
02-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Lots of people use Rotella T6. Lots of people also eat at McDonald's and are clogging their arteries with fatty cholesterol killing themelves slowly lol. What I'm trying to say is, like your own heart your engine is what keeps your car alive, so why put some cheap crap oil in it that will clog your engine and varnish it over time. Go get yourself some Liqui-Moly 5w40 it's 502.00 spec approved, fully synthetic and I guarantee it won't cause any varnish what so ever. I did a rebuild last year put 35000km on my car over the year and it's still crystal clean inside still. (I'm doing a performance build so I have my engine open again).

If you don't know the history go get some seafoam and run it through because it Will be full of sludge guaranteed, do a filter/oil change with some Liqui-moly and you will be good to go! Repeat every 4000-5000km even though Audi and the oil mfg say 8000-10000km.

With oil, the cleaner/newer it is, the better it is. Why risk it?

Wrath And Tears
02-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I usually use Pentosin 5w40, happened to have some Liqui-Molly 5w40 and have that in the engine currently. Last service I used the rotella T6 and interestingly it seemed like I lost less oil over the service interval through my CCT half moon gasket that has been leaking then normal.

Rodgman15
02-12-2016, 08:49 PM
T6 all day.

adam044
02-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Lots of people use Rotella T6. Lots of people also eat at McDonald's and are clogging their arteries with fatty cholesterol killing themelves slowly lol. What I'm trying to say is, like your own heart your engine is what keeps your car alive, so why put some cheap crap oil in it that will clog your engine and varnish it over time. Go get yourself some Liqui-Moly 5w40 it's 502.00 spec approved, fully synthetic and I guarantee it won't cause any varnish what so ever. I did a rebuild last year put 35000km on my car over the year and it's still crystal clean inside still. (I'm doing a performance build so I have my engine open again).

If you don't know the history go get some seafoam and run it through because it Will be full of sludge guaranteed, do a filter/oil change with some Liqui-moly and you will be good to go! Repeat every 4000-5000km even though Audi and the oil mfg say 8000-10000km.

Troll harder next time.

tar
02-12-2016, 10:52 PM

Another vote for t6. Also big oem filters, with mocal oil cooler.

Something about exchange rates and 100$$$ oil change and ecs coolaid

Avant Nate
02-12-2016, 11:13 PM
The reason people like T6, is because it's high in zddp(I think they lowered the levels). So really good anti-wear properties, not so good for catalytic converters. That's why it's a diesel oil. I could be full of shit though.

a4kamila6
02-12-2016, 11:45 PM
I personally use Ravenol 5w-40 in my audis. As long as the oil you use has the proper specs and certifications, go ahead. heard a lot of people use rotella and if its cheaper than german oil, has the proper certifications and works just as well, why not?

also heard orange dextron coolant works fine in our cars. its way cheaper than g12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a4kamila6
02-13-2016, 02:00 AM
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/media/downloads/pdfs/Audi_TechnialServiceBulletin_1997-2010.pdf

Check it out

VanCityA4Q
02-13-2016, 03:06 AM
How is my comment being a troll? Of the 350 plus types of oil in that service bulletin there's lots of diesel oils that meet the Audi/VW spec. But T6 is not one of them. There must be a reason for that, there's tons of oils by Shell on that list, so it's not like they haven't tested it I'm sure. And no offense to anyone on here at all, but I'll take the scientific research of German engineers over a bunch of guys on a forum any day. ;)

a4kamila6
02-13-2016, 03:20 AM
I posted it for OP and us as well, but good observation. Is it possibe Rotella is a new oil or whatever and thats why it isnt listed? I used mobil 1 10w-30 in the beginning but switched to Ravenol VPD 5w-40 which happens to be a diesel oil, worked fine. Now running Ravenol VPO 5w-40 mid saps. Havent seen a difference between the two. Dont burn any oil either. I try to change the oil every 3000-4500 tops. Depending on when i have time you know.

czum09
02-13-2016, 03:35 AM
I run Liqui-moly 5w40. It's good stuff, very smooth. T6 is solid. Can always run whatever then send it to Blackstone for analysis.

nemick
02-13-2016, 05:29 AM
I like Castrol Syntec 5-40

Kronprinz
02-13-2016, 05:35 AM
Rp 20-50
m1 15-50
t6

Of course you can spend more and get amsoil, or elf/total oil

adam044
02-13-2016, 07:26 AM
How is my comment being a troll? Of the 350 plus types of oil in that service bulletin there's lots of diesel oils that meet the Audi/VW spec. But T6 is not one of them. There must be a reason for that, there's tons of oils by Shell on that list, so it's not like they haven't tested it I'm sure. And no offense to anyone on here at all, but I'll take the scientific research of German engineers over a bunch of guys on a forum any day. ;)

You're right.