PDA

View Full Version : Cancer? How bad is it?

B5Aura
02-10-2016, 05:39 PM
so.. my passenger side quarter Is a eye sore to look at.. but that doesn't bother me so much knowing that I can just patch it this summer..
however when you open up the rear passenger door.. low and behold...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nntimx0ogqxeyv6/RUST1.jpg?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw13rlxmcusj0e8/RUST2.jpg?dl=1
any chance I would be able to clean weld in a new piece you think?

SynapticA4TQM
02-10-2016, 05:41 PM
That's a lot of rust! ... And I've had cancer (seriously), not something I'd choose to do again.

Oozed from a pustule of thought somewhere within the recesses of my mind...

B5Aura
02-10-2016, 05:47 PM
thing that ticks me off the most, this is the ONLY rust on the car, really hope that I can just cut the rear quarter off a scrap car and transplant onto mine, due for new paint anyways..
I'm just scared to find out just how far that rust penetrated into the car through that hole -_-

SynapticA4TQM
02-10-2016, 05:48 PM
If it's that bad... I'd be skeptical that that is the only rust

B5Aura
02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
If it's that bad... I'd be skeptical that that is the only rust

exterior wise that you can notice at least, and the bottom is all coated so I can't tell how bad it really is without tearing everything apart

Kronprinz
02-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Not sure if mercedes

or

pulled out of a blazing inferno

SynapticA4TQM
02-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Right... That's why it's referred to as cancer... 9/10 there's a lot more than what can be seen. Not that I'd wish it on anyone... That's just usually how it goes...

If say for an actually educated guess... Drive up to a body repair shop and ask them for an estimate... Most places will give free estimates... That would at least give you a starting point

redline380
02-10-2016, 05:54 PM
That's awful. Check your subframe and rear strut towers. Bet they are worse

OverSpun
02-10-2016, 06:34 PM
That's a lot of rust! ... And I've had cancer (seriously), not something I'd choose to do again.

Same... leukemia. A rust car is an easier job. [:D]

nynoah
02-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Look for a new car. That is not repairable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B-Time
02-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Was that quarter previously repaired? I've never seen an Audi that bad.

B5Aura
02-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Was that quarter previously repaired? I've never seen an Audi that bad.

well its a 98, runs amazing, and I originally bought it for $600 all because of a bad fuel pump and the previous owners lack of caring to replace it.
however along with the low price, came no service records. sooo I honestly have no idea wtf happened with this quarter.. although it looks as if the rusting nearly cuts off where its welded to the rails.
and IF that is the case, and I can just cut this quarter out and clean up the rails, then I don't see why I wouldn't be able to weld in a new quarter

SynapticA4TQM
02-10-2016, 07:18 PM
See all those contours where the rust is eating away? That's why you can't just weld in replacement metal... Pretty much expect to have to cut out an easy inch outside of what you can see... That would mean that you'll be trying to replace the entire profile of the piece at the bottom. I know some people have crazy fab skills... But to recreate the entire multi bend, curved profile of the door lip, and then around the fender... If you had that kind of skill you wouldn't be asking about whether it's possible.

B5Aura
02-10-2016, 07:21 PM
anyways, Ill be binging it body shop this Monday to have it checked out.. anyone know where I can get some rs4 quarters? hahaha

B5Aura
02-10-2016, 07:31 PM
See all those contours where the rust is eating away? That's why you can't just weld in replacement metal... Pretty much expect to have to cut out an easy inch outside of what you can see... That would mean that you'll be trying to replace the entire profile of the piece at the bottom. I know some people have crazy fab skills... But to recreate the entire multi bend, curved profile of the door lip, and then around the fender... If you had that kind of skill you wouldn't be asking about whether it's possible.

Yeah body work is one area that I don't even trust myself doing, and sorry, when I say "I" mean as in "I will be handing out a lot of $$$ to a professional to do it for me"
and to be clear, I would be cutting an entire rear quarter from a pullers to have welded in place, not having someone try to fab me a piece of metal with all those contours =p I can only imagine what kind of skill goes into all of that.

SynapticA4TQM
02-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Fair enough... But do yourself a favor... Do some shopping to see what other b5 Audi's may cost so that when the shop gives you their estimate, you'll know how close you might be to an entire replacement car... I don't say this to say that I think it's what you should be doing ... On the flip side... Getting a different car, you could be buying a whole different set of problems...

walky_talky20
02-10-2016, 08:26 PM
That car was definitely hit in the corner and that is an aftermarket quarter. Audi's - and especially B5's - as a rule, do not rust like that. They just don't.

My brother's B5 has that same quarter that is aftermarket and is rusting in the same way (but not nearly as advanced). The other side is OEM and still perfect. The aftermarket metal is not even close to the quality of zee German's galvanized steel. He can tell for certain that the quarter is aftermarket because (A) the contour of the wheel arch is not right, and (B) the inside is not "rolled" like the OEM rear quarters are. The aftermarket quarter has a 90 degree bend that would be all up in the way if he were to go for mad tyte hellalfush fitment back there. Your quarter as pictured looks like it is too far gone to identify either of those things, but the rate of decay compared to the rest of the car easily shows it is not original metal.

crazexr7
02-10-2016, 08:57 PM
^This would make sense. Wow is this the worst rust I've seen on a b5 though.

Turbo_B5
02-10-2016, 09:34 PM
^This would make sense. Wow is this the worst rust I've seen on a b5 though.

Literally the exact thing I was gonna say, but with less profanity. It looks like a mazda 3

A1 A2 German
02-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Something it up, my vote is panel repair.

They say the Mazda is one of the worst offenders, the absolute best #1, Audi A4.

B5's just do not do that.

Nollywood
02-11-2016, 02:49 AM
With that level of rot, I'd lose interest in that car. Once the Red Terror gets its teeth into a car that bad, it's pretty hard to break it lose.

Beto Q5
02-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Good luck on that serious repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avant Nate
02-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Or find another $600 Audi with a blown engine.

SN95Audi87
02-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Part out the car, and look for 01.5+ B5.

walky_talky20
02-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Why is everybody hot on the 01.5? There are very few differences compared to the earlier 2001's. I have an early 2001 model, and other than the strut brace thing and the red flag on the "T" emblem, I don't think I'm missing anything. I've got ESP, Xenons, and what have you.

Teach me, guys. Why am I less cool?

tar
02-11-2016, 04:36 PM
^x2, neither of mine has the button both 2001s
Avant is 03/01 xenons with strut bar red T
Sedan 02/01 with strut bar not sure if xenons originally

Also rusted car is dead, put it down

SynapticA4TQM
02-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Why is everybody hot on the 01.5? There are very few differences compared to the earlier 2001's. I have an early 2001 model, and other than the strut brace thing and the red flag on the "T" emblem, I don't think I'm missing anything. I've got ESP, Xenons, and what have you.

Apart from simply being the newest b5 you can get, I can't think of any other reason...

Turbo_B5
02-11-2016, 05:19 PM

What this guy said. My 01.0 is base lol. no strutbrace no esp no xenons but I do have the red flag. I did swap in my depo xenon headlights and have plans for Morimoto's so im not really missing out on anyting.

Good luck on finding a new car OP. Took me almost two years to find my replacement.

B5Aura
02-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the reassurance that this car is officially done with, everyone.
I think what I'll end up doing is keeping this one just to use as my winter car.. clean off all the rust down to bare metal, and Eastwood the hell out of it.. try to capsulate the damage that's already done =/

anyways, I'm keeping my eye out for a nice summer car. Minneapolis craigslist has my eye on a few already!
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/5432078378.html
http://marshall.craigslist.org/cto/5423544545.html

tar
02-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the reassurance that this car is officially done with, everyone.
I think what I'll end up doing is keeping this one just to use as my winter car.. clean off all the rust down to bare metal, and Eastwood the hell out of it.. try to capsulate the damage that's already done =/

anyways, I'm keeping my eye out for a nice summer car. Minneapolis craigslist has my eye on a few already!
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/5432078378.html
http://marshall.craigslist.org/cto/5423544545.html

if ur traveling why not get a car from the not salt states? SD isnt that far removed and the time spent traveling will payoff the first time you need to repair a stuck bolt

SN95Audi87
02-12-2016, 08:36 AM

I have base 01.5 that comes with the red flag. The only reason why I said that it because its the newest B5 you can get before they transition to the B6. I've always been a stickler for last model of any year. Most of the time its more refined since earlier problems been addressed I guess. My car came non-xenon.

^x2, neither of mine has the button both 2001s
Avant is 03/01 xenons with strut bar red T
Sedan 02/01 with strut bar not sure if xenons originally

Also rusted car is dead, put it down

I agree.

Apart from simply being the newest b5 you can get, I can't think of any other reason...

Yep, its just newest. Possibly could be less troublesome too.

What this guy said. My 01.0 is base lol. no strutbrace no esp no xenons but I do have the red flag. I did swap in my depo xenon headlights and have plans for Morimoto's so im not really missing out on anyting.

Good luck on finding a new car OP. Took me almost two years to find my replacement.

I love my morimoto bulbs. I just ordered a new set since they are at the end of their life span from 55w ballasts.