PDA

View Full Version : heater hose quick disconnect issues

jasonsaudia4200
02-08-2016, 06:00 AM
Hello. I'm having major issues trying to remove the quick connect/disconnect fitting on the heater hose on my 1997 A4 2.8L. I have searched forums, googled, ect and found nothing. I pushed down on the metal clip and pulled and nothing. I am apparently doing something wrong because it won't budge a bit. Please someone who has removed these give me some insight on this. The hose is snapped completely off at where the the rubber part starts. Thank you.

MarcRogers
02-08-2016, 06:07 AM
These things are a bitch. You can pull the clip off. Pull it off and pull that bitch it's hard but it will come off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redline380
02-08-2016, 06:12 AM
Yeah, those things get pretty seized on. I second just removing the clip so you do not have to worry about it.

Best you can do is wiggle and wiggle until it pops loose. If that doesnt work, I would start cutting it with a razor blade.

jasonsaudia4200
02-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys. Would soaking the whole fitting in pb blaster help? Would it soak in or just make it hard to pull it off?

redline380
02-08-2016, 06:18 AM
You could try soaking them. Or jam a pick in there and try to loosen the crud.

jasonsaudia4200
02-08-2016, 06:41 AM
I could probably get a small dremle tool down there but I'm afraid on cutting it too deep because I wouldn't be able to see what I was cutting to well. I have the new hose on order but I have no idea about the piece on the engine as to what it looks like or is made of. It seems to feel like metal. Thank you guys for the info. This seems to be something people don't have issues with or just don't post about. I've searched for days and came up with nothing. If I can remember I will take pics and post.

xdewaynex
02-08-2016, 06:50 AM
Most likely dont post about it. I try to twist the hose end just a bit (not a whole lot of room to twist) just to try and break it free a bit while pull on it. When you go to install the new hose, Id recommend putting some coolant or a little pb blast on both connections to help slide the hose back on. Ive done it without a few times, thinking I had it all the way on, get down the road and the hose had come off.

walky_talky20
02-08-2016, 07:49 AM
These are a bugger. Pull really hard and jiggle it around. It will come off about .5 seconds before you smash your knuckles and/or forearm into the firewall/transmission. I'd recommend gloves. I might suggest some heat, if you can possible get some on the area. I think it helps to have 2 people to tag team it. When one person gets tired/frustrated they can tap out and have the other person give it a go. This leads to some show-boating along with an obligatory discussion afterwards about who "loosened it up" for the other.

redline380
02-08-2016, 07:53 AM
These are a bugger. Pull really hard and jiggle it around. It will come off...

I'd recommend gloves. I might suggest some heat, if you can possible get some on the area.

I think it helps to have 2 people to tag team it. When one person gets tired/frustrated they can tap out and have the other person give it a go.

Cleverly edited, this is pretty dirty lol

jasonsaudia4200
02-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Is the piece on engine metal or plastic?

walky_talky20
02-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Cleverly edited, this is pretty dirty lol

ROFL. Sometimes I purposely slip in some innuendo. This was not one of those times. Even if it seems like it.

Tag Team it? What the heck was I thinking there? lol

Seerlah
02-08-2016, 11:56 AM
This leads to some show-boating along with an obligatory discussion afterwards about who "loosened it up" for the other.

Guess this one doesn't count either, you dirty kids you!

nynoah
02-08-2016, 11:59 AM
I tapped mine off using a punch and a rubber mallet. Don't hit hard. Take your time and work all around the circumference as much as you can to prevent it cracking.

redline380
02-08-2016, 11:59 AM
I tapped mine off using a punch and a rubber mallet. Don't hit hard. Take your time and work all around the circumference as much as you can to prevent it cracking.

Wow, someone likes it rough! [>_<]

andyrew
02-08-2016, 12:17 PM
I use a pick and work my way around. I've got one with an L in it about 2" long for this reason... Oxidized coolant is basically glue.

jasonsaudia4200
02-08-2016, 02:44 PM
I wish I could get a torch on it but too many wires and flammable material down there. Thank you for all the info guys. I much appreciate it.

Seerlah
02-08-2016, 03:01 PM
PB Blaster is not supposed to be used on plastics. Just keep wiggling and it will eventually budge.

Pro Tip: Spray mating surfaces with some type of lubricant spray when placing back on. Should slip back on like butter. I am a fan of Liquid Wrench Silicon Spray.