PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a 2005 A6 Quattro 4.2 with a bad transmission

Shanealan
01-11-2016, 12:37 PM
I don't have much info about this vehicle, but this is what I know. It has 255,000 miles and there is an issue with the tranny.
This is what the owner told me.
Audi dealer said the transmission my need work.
I was driving it a few months back, stopped at a traffic light, and went to go and it would. The engine was running but car wouldn't move. Had it towed to my house about 4 months ago.
It's sat there ever since.

She is asking $2100 for it.

I don't have any more info to give you guys about this vehicle, my question is am I crazy to buy it I should I pass? If its still for sale I'll see it on the 14th, as its not a local vehicle.
Thanks Shane

SinCityA6
01-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kocyk123
01-11-2016, 12:49 PM
I would personally pass on this one. You are looking at huge tranny bill plus you don't really know what kind of maintenance the engine and suspension needs. It all might cost you the price of a lower milage, good working C6 with less wear and tear inside. My $0.02

Shanealan
01-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

I am planning on a buddy of mine to do the work.

SinCityA6
01-11-2016, 02:54 PM
At this point, it is a crap shoot. IF it is only the tranny AND you are not paying someone labor to fix, then it may be doable. However, with 255K on the Car I start to worry about other issues with the motor.
At minimum, replacing timing chains, guides and tensioners is a must since you will already have the motor and trans out and separated.

If it were me, I would pass unless you have the ability to test several different things (compression and leak down, run full diagnostic scan with VCDS, etc.)

FormulaElement
01-11-2016, 03:38 PM
At this point, it is a crap shoot. IF it is only the tranny AND you are not paying someone labor to fix, then it may be doable. However, with 255K on the Car I start to worry about other issues with the motor.
At minimum, replacing timing chains, guides and tensioners is a must since you will already have the motor and trans out and separated.

If it were me, I would pass unless you have the ability to test several different things (compression and leak down, run full diagnostic scan with VCDS, etc.)

This. Seriously OP run away from the car unless you get it for free.

You will need to replace every seal, every accessory (power steering pump, water pump, etc.) the timing chain guides all very soon if not immediately. Then you have the whole suspension and wheel bearings....

Shanealan
01-11-2016, 03:58 PM
This. Seriously OP run away from the car unless you get it for free.

You will need to replace every seal, every accessory (power steering pump, water pump, etc.) the timing chain guides all very soon if not immediately. Then you have the whole suspension and wheel bearings....

I agree with you all, I just wanted some input to decide, and I will stay away from this vehicle, unless I get it dirt cheap..