PDA

View Full Version : Considering getting A6 avant 3.0t, what to look out for

Eurotuned_A4
01-10-2016, 08:57 PM
So before I really pursue this avenue, what do I look out for? Any common problems I should keep my eye out for? Any avant specific problems to be aware of? From everything I've read, the 3.0t is pretty reliable minus some thermostat/waterpump issues but the vehicle I'm looking at is 1 owner and has been well maintained. I'm familiar with the AAn/3b, 1.8t, 2.7t, 4.2, and 4.2tt since Ive owned a variety of Audi vehicles with the above engines, but besides knowing mods I have no real information on the 3.0t. Appreciate all the help!

FormulaElement
01-11-2016, 03:45 PM
There really aren't any problems to look out for on the 3.0T besides what you have mentioned with the water pump, which Audi replaced all of the faulty ones for free.

Just get maintenance records, make sure it was taken care of. It's also a good idea to get a compression/leak down test and a PPI from a Audi dealer or trusted mechanic before buying.

As far as avants go the rear sunroof drain is known to get clogged easily and will leak water onto the amp causing it to fail. There have been a few reports of the washer fluid line leaking causing the same thing. Just keep an eye on these and they shouldn't be a problem.

c@@kieMonsta
01-12-2016, 10:12 AM
There have been a few reports of the washer fluid line leaking causing the same thing. Just keep an eye on these and they shouldn't be a problem.

That problem was resolved with a TSB on earlier C6 models, but the C6.5 it was resolved altogether from the factory so it's nothing to worry about anymore.

Eurotuned_A4
01-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad there isn't a plethora of things to look out for. Ill take that as a good sign. Typically my experience with Audi is that they require a little more TLC to keep top notch, but when compared to all the Audis I have owned this seems like a cake walk....I better go knock on some wood now!

c@@kieMonsta
01-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Typically my experience with Audi is that they require a little more TLC to keep top notch, but when compared to all the Audis I have owned this seems like a cake walk....I better go knock on some wood now!

I liken any German car to a Swiss time piece. Tight tolerances and high precision. Unlike a honda or toyota, skipping on an oil change interval, etc could end up costing. If you regularly maintain these vehicles, they will reward you with years of worry free driving.

FormulaElement
01-13-2016, 11:37 AM
That problem was resolved with a TSB on earlier C6 models, but the C6.5 it was resolved altogether from the factory so it's nothing to worry about anymore.

Good to hear!

Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad there isn't a plethora of things to look out for. Ill take that as a good sign. Typically my experience with Audi is that they require a little more TLC to keep top notch, but when compared to all the Audis I have owned this seems like a cake walk....I better go knock on some wood now!

Like cookie said, keep up on the recommended maintenance (fluids!!!) and they are quite reliable. Well at least this generation especially compared to your previous Audi's which were all known to be maintenance whores. (Looking at you RS6 and S4!)

Eurotuned_A4
01-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Good to hear!

Like cookie said, keep up on the recommended maintenance (fluids!!!) and they are quite reliable. Well at least this generation especially compared to your previous Audi's which were all known to be maintenance whores. (Looking at you RS6 and S4!)

I still have 2 B5 S4s and RS6 is long gone. It's all about preventative maintenance on the S4s and RS6, especially now with their age. One is going away this weekend to make room for the new car which I might be picking up tonight if all goes well.

c@@kieMonsta
01-13-2016, 09:03 PM
One is going away this weekend to make room for the new car which I might be picking up tonight if all goes well.

Pics/link?

Eurotuned_A4
01-14-2016, 08:58 AM
I did pull the trigger on the car last night. Red 2010 3.0t prestige. Ill be posting up some pictures after I get it detailed. I've have never driven a 3.0t vehicle prior to this avant and I'm very impressed. It's no where near my Stage 3 meth tuned avant, and doesn't have top end pull like my RS6 but it is impressive. Sport mode from a dead stop last night made me giggle. I just need to learn the MMI now.

cal3thousand
01-14-2016, 12:39 PM
I did pull the trigger on the car last night. Red 2010 3.0t prestige. Ill be posting up some pictures after I get it detailed. I've have never driven a 3.0t vehicle prior to this avant and I'm very impressed. It's no where near my Stage 3 meth tuned avant, and doesn't have top end pull like my RS6 but it is impressive. Sport mode from a dead stop last night made me giggle. I just need to learn the MMI now.

LUCKY!!!

that has got to be one of the most rare Audi's out there. I'd wager that it might be more rare that that RS6.

3.0T's Avants are rare enough, but Red, Prestige and with the new MMI? Near perfect car in my book. What color is the leather and wood?

Eurotuned_A4
01-14-2016, 01:48 PM
LUCKY!!!

that has got to be one of the most rare Audi's out there. I'd wager that it might be more rare that that RS6.

3.0T's Avants are rare enough, but Red, Prestige and with the new MMI? Near perfect car in my book. What color is the leather and wood?

The car actually came out form your area from an LA dealership originally. Yes, when I saw the red it had me really intrigued. The broker I bought it from said it was a special order color for the vehicle. I haven't verified it, but I don't have reason to not believe him. Maybe I'm confused, not sure what you mean about new MMI. What I was meaning to say in my last post is that I need to learn how to use it. I'm used to technology a decade+ older lol. Audi has come a long way in that department. The MMI is also pretty involved compared to my wifes Ford Explorer with the my ford touch system. To answer your question though, the interior is black with lighter color headliner and wood trim (not entirely sure if there are different wood trim options). I'm such a noob on this platform.....time will change that. It's scheduled for exterior detail Saturday where Ill also discuss interior detailing options. I have all the tools to detail myself, but figured I will pay someone this round and save myself at least half a day. still may end up doing the interior myself since that's the easy and quick part. Either way, once it gets cleaned up Ill make a thread with some pictures.

cal3thousand
01-18-2016, 01:13 PM
The car actually came out form your area from an LA dealership originally. Yes, when I saw the red it had me really intrigued. The broker I bought it from said it was a special order color for the vehicle. I haven't verified it, but I don't have reason to not believe him. Maybe I'm confused, not sure what you mean about new MMI. What I was meaning to say in my last post is that I need to learn how to use it. I'm used to technology a decade+ older lol. Audi has come a long way in that department. The MMI is also pretty involved compared to my wifes Ford Explorer with the my ford touch system. To answer your question though, the interior is black with lighter color headliner and wood trim (not entirely sure if there are different wood trim options). I'm such a noob on this platform.....time will change that. It's scheduled for exterior detail Saturday where Ill also discuss interior detailing options. I have all the tools to detail myself, but figured I will pay someone this round and save myself at least half a day. still may end up doing the interior myself since that's the easy and quick part. Either way, once it gets cleaned up Ill make a thread with some pictures.

What I mean about the MMI is you should have the 3G version while most other C6s have 2G Low or 2G High. Yours has a bigger, high res screen, color screen in the dash and Google Maps capability (HDD for storing MP3s too).

I'm fairly certain it started in with the MY2010

c@@kieMonsta
01-18-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm fairly certain it started in with the MY2010

You are correct. It was offered the last two years of the C6 in the USA, 10-11.

Eurotuned_A4
01-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Ah ok, I see about the MMI now. I got the vehicle detailed over the weekend, it was rough mainly on the rear hatch like it was constantly parked under a tree with the first owner. Luckily it was all cleaned up and taken care of. The car looks great! Ill try to make a thread and post some pics up tonight.

Fastphil
01-31-2016, 06:16 PM

Any idea where I can find this TSB? Mine is leaking and I'd like to read up on it before I proceed with repairs.

c@@kieMonsta
01-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Any idea where I can find this TSB? Mine is leaking and I'd like to read up on it before I proceed with repairs.

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a6_quattro_wagon/v6-3.2l_(bkh)/wiper_and_washer_systems/windshield_washer_spray_nozzle/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/all_technical_service_bulletins_for_windshield_was her_spray_nozzle/920601/

Fastphil
01-31-2016, 07:07 PM
http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a6_quattro_wagon/v6-3.2l_(bkh)/wiper_and_washer_systems/windshield_washer_spray_nozzle/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/all_technical_service_bulletins_for_windshield_was her_spray_nozzle/920601/

Thanks. I think mine is leaking from the front driver side fender where the tank is. I haven't investigated yet. I put over a gallon of fluid in and 3-4 days later it's nearly empty with only minimal actual use. The pumps seem to be working fine. Gotta check to confirm the headlight pump is working, but I'm pretty sure it is. Obviously I don't want to pay a fortune to resolve this, because washer fluid isn't that expensive either!

c@@kieMonsta
01-31-2016, 07:08 PM
Thanks. I think mine is leaking from the front driver side fender where the tank is. I haven't investigated yet. I put over a gallon of fluid in and 3-4 days later it's nearly empty with only minimal actual use. The pumps seem to be working fine. Gotta check to confirm the headlight pump is working, but I'm pretty sure it is. Obviously I don't want to pay a fortune to resolve this, because washer fluid isn't that expensive either!
The tsb is sent you is specifically designed for the Avants rear washer line. There wasn't a tsb for other washer line leaks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wannabe2
01-31-2016, 07:26 PM

I had a fluid leak from the front driver side fender ...it would find its way down the mud flap and drip on the ground. Mine was fairly pronounced. It would drip a few cups on the garage floor over a 24 hour period.
It ended up that the problem was the washer pump that sits just behind the fender liner at the rear of the wheel well. A new washer pump ($25-$30 plus install solved the problem). If your problem is the same, I can provide pics, assuming that I can remember how to post them.

Fastphil
02-01-2016, 03:23 PM
I had a fluid leak from the front driver side fender ...it would find its way down the mud flap and drip on the ground. Mine was fairly pronounced. It would drip a few cups on the garage floor over a 24 hour period.
It ended up that the problem was the washer pump that sits just behind the fender liner at the rear of the wheel well. A new washer pump ($25-$30 plus install solved the problem). If your problem is the same, I can provide pics, assuming that I can remember how to post them.

Was the pump cracked and still functioning? I put a dash of fluid into it today (it was stone empty) and I heard gurgling but saw nothing coming out the bottom. I was able to spray the windshield with some of what I put in. I've located a scrap yard nearby that has a C6 in case I need parts, are the reservoirs and pumps all the same?

wannabe2
02-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Fastphil, I realized that we're jacking the original poster's thread. I'll IM you.

Eurotuned_A4
02-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Don't worry about it lol. I already got an A6.

wannabe2
02-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Don't worry about it lol. I already got an A6.

OK, thanks.
Pic of the rear of the driver's side wheel well with the fender liner removed and the the leaking washer fluid pump circled (with the "VW AG" on it). The tech took about 15 minutes to R&R everything. Sorry the pic is so big.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee467/CdnCorrado1/DSC00354.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/CdnCorrado1/media/DSC00354.jpg.html)

Fastphil
02-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Awesome, that'll be a big help. I'll try to get at it this weekend. I'm hoping it's something simple.