PDA

View Full Version : What's your snow tire speed rating?

Avant Nate
12-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Because I just checked mine. It's 99mph. That quick jaunt up at 120 yesterday could've ended badly. Just a heads up for any other idiots that drive like me.

vwblackb5
12-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Running Dunlop Wintersport 3D's on the B5 and Blizzak WS80's on the B8.5 both H-rated @ 130mph.

On a side note, was in Germany for work and Europe has mandatory snow tires on designated months (MK7 GTI rental) had U-rated Conti's (124mph/200kph) and actually got it up to 235kph and they were super squirrley on the Autobahn haha

Seerlah
12-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Some provinces in Canada also requires snow tires. At least for the fronts. And I had my Blizzaks over 100 before.

Turbo_B5
12-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Some provinces in Canada also requires snow tires. At least for the fronts. And I had my Blizzaks over 100 before.

No. It's just certain roads like mountain passes you need them.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 6s 9.0.2 using Tapatalk

Turbo_B5
12-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Sorry. Only in Quebec requires them I guess but who the fuck knows why.

In Quebec,all passenger vehicles are required by law to have winter tires installed on all wheels during the winter season effective December 15th to March 15th.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 6s 9.0.2 using Tapatalk

Seerlah
12-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Didn't know all wheels. Also wasn't sure what provonce(s).

Corrado_Guy
12-29-2015, 08:19 PM
In Canada you are mandated to have winter tires but they do not have to be arctic condition snow tires in all areas. As long as they have the snow symbol on the tire they are good to go in most areas. Where I live you only need winter tires although I know of people in the area I live in being denied claims because they had winter tires and not full snow tires so they can get you. In British Columbia there is also a minimum depth of tread that must be met as well. In any case I run arctic condition snow tires even though I barely see snow just in case but I don't know the speed rating when I really should. My commute can be anywhere from 80 - 140 kph and I have seen up to 160 kph a few times for little squirts as well. I really should look at the tires, in my head I was thinking 112 - 114 mph but I am not sure where I got that number from.

Corrado_Guy
12-31-2015, 05:16 PM
I checked mine today and it is a Q rated tire which is good up to 160 KPH which I actually exceeded today on the way home.

richardodn
01-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Something you guys need to know about speed ratings on tires. http://www.ntb.com/tires/Tire-Speed-Rating-Education.j

The relevant bit from that link:

What does 'Up to 99 mph' really mean?
Tires with a Q speed rating can safely sustain speeds of up to 99 miles per hour. The tire may be able to reach higher speeds, but going faster than 99 mph for any length of time is not safe. The tire is not designed to handle the stresses.

The main thing speed ratings are for is sustained operation at those speeds. It mostly has to do with its ability to dissipate the heat generated at speed. For tires feeling squirrely at speed is a much better indicator that you should slow down.

As for my tires, I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 rated 'R' for 106 mph sustained operation on my A4 Avant and 98 328iC and these feel good at speed. I'd have no qualms driving them faster than rated for short bursts. We have Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter on my wife's car. They're rated T/118 mph but I wouldn't drive those above 80 because of the way they feel. If you're looking for good snows with great dry road performance, look at the Michelin X-Ice tires. I've run them before and you really don't give up much on dry roads.

Sumo337
01-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Hankook Ipikes are rated T (118mph)

2 nights ago I hit 115mph in the tunnels.. Was smooth.

GOODBYNAAIR
01-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Blizzak WS50 with R rating so that's 106mph they have seen that many times. Eh I didn't know they had such a low rating. They always did seem a little unhappy at 110+.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

redline380
01-02-2016, 04:36 PM
The main thing speed ratings are for is sustained operation at those speeds. It mostly has to do with its ability to dissipate the heat generated at speed. For tires feeling squirrely at speed is a much better indicator that you should slow down.

This is the point I wanted to make. Speed rating doesn't mean you can't go over that speed, it means you cannot sustain speeds above that.

I'm not sure what the speed rating on my winter tires is, but the car never sees above 80mph. Its winter, no need to be going that fast. Plus, my fast car is put away.

Avant Nate
01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
This is the point I wanted to make. Speed rating doesn't mean you can't go over that speed, it means you cannot sustain speeds above that.

I'm not sure what the speed rating on my winter tires is, but the car never sees above 80mph. Its winter, no need to be going that fast. Plus, my fast car is put away.
Wrong, winter means cold air, thus more fast

redline380
01-02-2016, 04:48 PM

When I put my car away, it was the first time I ever blew a charged pipe. Put it back on and the thing was running like a raped ape. All in sub freezing temps.

But no need to have it running in the winter. I got an Avant for that stuff.

Turbo_B5
01-02-2016, 04:48 PM

this.

EDIT:

Assuming the interwebs is correct my tire speed rating is 'S' 112mph/180kph which i have gone up to but not exceeded.