PDA

View Full Version : Changing the half moon top cover gasket without cam tensioner tool

maxiz1
12-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Hello Guys,
Just wondering whether it is possible to lift the intake, exhaust cam and cam tensioner simultaneously without using the can tensioner tool?

WESLIFE
12-27-2015, 06:56 AM
If you are just changing the gasket, you can do it with out the too. All you have to do is remove the 3 t30 screws that are directly on top of the chain tensioner, then loosen the 4th screw that's associated with the tensioner. A) pry tensioner upwith screw driver. B)remove old gasket set kit. C) spray some brake parts cleaner, wait a few seconds, put in new gasket kit, replace screws, 're-tighten torque spec and Done!

maxiz1
12-27-2015, 07:10 AM
Thanks Weslife. In doing so do you need to also remove the cam caps? I can't imagine lifting the tensioner alone without the cams but i might be wrong.

WESLIFE
12-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks Weslife. In doing so do you need to also remove the cam caps? I can't imagine lifting the tensioner alone without the cams but i might be wrong.

Touch nothing more than what I explained in my first post. Just pry the tensioner up and slide the gasket out. Oh....and don't forget Toto remove the valve cover gasket. You will be fine. Just take your time. I'm sure you will be completely done within 30 min!

Wrath And Tears
12-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Yeah the easiest way is with the tool, but sometimes its a bitch with the tool and you have to do it how Weslife described.

nynoah
12-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Do yourself a favor, just buy the tool its cheap. Keep it for another day. Trying to change that without the tool will drive you insane. Its a pain even with the tool. Without the tool, I would say its virtually impossible for garage mechanic to get the half moon seal traded out too.

http://www.amazon.com/AUDI-Chain-Tensioner-Holding-Tool/dp/B007C8G4FS

maxiz1
12-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and support!!

b5a4erik
12-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Yo, so I was using the CCT tool, on a car with like 210k, and there are two prong like things that you connect the tool to.

I broke 1 of teh 2 prongs.

Be careful in the man.

Quattro420
12-30-2015, 03:18 AM
I've done 30 plus with the tool never had a problem and never touched the cams just compress it and use a wrench under the tensioner and pull the gasket and half moon super easy

nynoah
12-30-2015, 04:57 AM
The reason the ears broke off is that people over tighten the tool. Its a very easy mistake to make. I have broken 2 of these tools over the last decade and a half of working on the 1.8T.