PDA

View Full Version : AEB stroker and ECU tune questions

Kronprinz
12-18-2015, 12:04 PM
I am getting ready to pick a 1998 1.8T that needs some work. Timing belt snapped. I am going to get this cheap and want to build it from the ground up. This is going to be a little project car that I can work on during the weekends, so there is no absolute rush. I want to do it, and I want to do it right, the first time. Although I am new to Audi's, I have experience plenty experience in the automotive field and rebuilding engines, so I know I can handle the task.

I have been researching for some time about stroking an AEB. Almost all of the threads and information out there seem quite a few years old, and many threads either talk about it in little detail, or just abruptly end leading me to believe they just abandoned the build.

I think I have gathered most of the information I need to complete this task, special care needed to grind inside block walls to make clearance for the connecting rods, space and shave #4 oil squirter, and send intermediate shaft out for machining(http://scch-heads.com/viewpart.php?id=36). Am I missing anything?

Question 1- What crank trigger wheel do I use, AEB, or the one that comes on the ABA crank?

As for tuning, it looks like AEB got the short end of the deal(at least that's the impression I get from research), which leads me to question 2- Without going stand alone, what are my options for a tune? Is there anyone on these forums that can tune the stock AEB ECU to run a 2L stroker and bigger turbo, or what companies in the Audi world can do this?

These are pretty much the only threads I found any useful information in:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3964718
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/105602-20-20-build
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4320421-2008cc-20v-AEB-audi-with-PTE-6057-Dual-Ball-bearing-and-Vbanded
If anyone else can answer my questions, or have any useful links, please feel free to post up.

Thanks

redline380
12-18-2015, 12:16 PM
I think I have gathered most of the information I need to complete this task, special care needed to grind inside block walls to make clearance for the connecting rods, space and shave #4 oil squirter, and send intermediate shaft out for machining(http://scch-heads.com/viewpart.php?id=36). Am I missing anything?

That sounds about it.

Question 1- What crank trigger wheel do I use, AEB, or the one that comes on the ABA crank?

AEB trigger wheel

As for tuning, it looks like AEB got the short end of the deal(at least that's the impression I get from research), which leads me to question 2- Without going stand alone, what are my options for a tune? Is there anyone on these forums that can tune the stock AEB ECU to run a 2L stroker and bigger turbo, or what companies in the Audi world can do this?

The very best thing you can do is switch to AWM engine management. Considering you are AEB, it would be a pain in the ass and require a throttle, pedal assembly, ecu, all that jazz.

If you dont want to go through that effort, you can find an off the shelf tune, or go with Maestro and tune it yourself or have someone else tune it. But no MAP sensors or wideband sensor leaves you few really good options. Switching to AWM stuff gives you those options.

Kronprinz
12-18-2015, 12:55 PM
The very best thing you can do is switch to AWM engine management. Considering you are AEB, it would be a pain in the ass and require a throttle, pedal assembly, ecu, all that jazz.

If you dont want to go through that effort, you can find an off the shelf tune, or go with Maestro and tune it yourself or have someone else tune it. But no MAP sensors or wideband sensor leaves you few really good options. Switching to AWM stuff gives you those options.
Cool, I figured the AEB trigger wheel since I will be utilizing the stock AEB crank sensor and ECU.

I am not sure I want to source the parts, and convert over to wideband, but I will keep that in mind and research into that.

Who makes the best off the shelf tunes for AEB? I will also look into Maestro, but I have never tuned an ECU before. I have no clue where to start, so I would have to pay for someone to tune it. It would probably be most cost effective to go off the shelf as opposed to Maestro.

I see you have gt2871r in your sig. Besides the 3071 & 3076, that is one of the other turbos I was looking at. What are your impressions of it?

Avant Nate
12-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Are you really sure you want to stroke it? For all you know, it might just need a few valves.
If you want a race car, I'd do a stand alone, otherwise Maestro

Kronprinz
12-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Are you really sure you want to stroke it? For all you know, it might just need a few valves.
If you want a race car, I'd do a stand alone, otherwise Maestro
I am sure I want to stroke it. There's no replacement for displacement. It's not any harder to stroke it, just a little block grinding and oil squirter grinding. I am not going for a racecar, so I don't need a stand alone. I will be happy with an off the shelf tune, as I am not pushing the car to the limits so I won't need to squeeze every bit of juice out of the engine.

Was just checking out Maestro, quite pricey. Not far off from a stand alone

Seerlah
12-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Friend has a b5 a4 gtx3071r on a built block with stop displacement (forged rods and pistons with semi built head). His car rapes mine, and mine is no slouch. He is aeb, I am awm, he is 400+whp on meth, and I am butt dyno 350whp on straight 93. We both run maestro tuning suite. You just need to find a competent tuner.

andyrew
12-19-2015, 03:31 AM
Daz Dillenger on facebook is one of the more prominent tuners and has told me he could tune the 557p ecu to whatever.

I would hit him up.

Kronprinz
12-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Daz Dillenger on facebook is one of the more prominent tuners and has told me he could tune the 557p ecu to whatever.

I would hit him up.
Does Daz happen to be on these forums, or have any other contact information? I don't have a facebook to get at him. Thanks

bleach
12-19-2015, 12:06 PM
the ABA trigger wheel is ok ,you don't need to change

ray4624
12-21-2015, 09:22 AM
i run the UM stage 4 with my stroker block. I have an adjustable fpr and dialed in WOT as it was running a bit rich
They can make adjustments for a change in CR or cams etc if you ask. So far, it has treated me fine. Dont really need much more.
I assume a custom tune would get me some more HP but i like to not fuck with things. I dont have time for much trial an error.

Kronprinz
12-21-2015, 11:24 AM
the ABA trigger wheel is ok ,you don't need to change
[up]

i run the UM stage 4 with my stroker block. I have an adjustable fpr and dialed in WOT as it was running a bit rich
They can make adjustments for a change in CR or cams etc if you ask. So far, it has treated me fine. Dont really need much more.
I assume a custom tune would get me some more HP but i like to not fuck with things. I dont have time for much trial an error.
I will send them an email to see the options & price.

andyrew
12-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Daz has a website somewhere but its not easy to find. Best bet is creating a facebook and messaging him. He is really one of the best and will work till its right. Price is sub

Kronprinz
12-22-2015, 10:47 AM
So here are the options I came up with so far:
Maestro(most expensive option)
United Motorsports
k0mpressed(least expensive, and great reviews from what I gathered)

I also found and reached out to ddillinger through a message on here, awaiting response.

I sent an inquiry to C2 Motorsports, but the guy Chris that responded didn't seem to be too interested in helping at all, and merely just said, look at our website. [facepalm]

ray4624
12-22-2015, 10:55 AM
ddillinger may not respond to his AZ mail....long story
Ill see if i have his email. I was talking to him while looking at v8 tuning options.
the main guy from C2 left and started UM...so basically the c2 tunes are out dated UM tunes.

Kronprinz
12-22-2015, 11:00 AM
ddillinger may not respond to his AZ mail....long story
Ill see if i have his email. I was talking to him while looking at v8 tuning options.
the main guy from C2 left and started UM...so basically the c2 tunes are out dated UM tunes.
Long story, or interesting story? LOL
If you have his email, let me know.

Glad you gave me some insight on C2, I will scratch them off then.

ray4624
12-22-2015, 11:05 AM
he got banned because AZ is run by a bunch of meatballs (see panjo for a quick example) and he basically got yelled at for helping people for free
the community banded together to get him un banned and then he was like bye. So idk if he still checks his pms or not