PDA

View Full Version : Car seems to not be getting fuel occasionally on start up.

xthealienatorx
11-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Hey all, this has happened maybe 4 times in the past month, the car cranks, but never tries to start. If I put my foot to the floor and crank for about 15 seconds it then slowly comes up to 800 rpm. Then if I Rev it makes a awful smell and a very raspy/chattery mechanical noise.
What do you guys think it could be. 01 30v. The only thing me and my dad could come up with is something with the fuel filter or a injector is getting stuck open and the fuel system has to prime itself before firing. But they seem unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jakeoboy67
11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
does it start better if you cycle the key a couple times before cranking ?

xthealienatorx
11-05-2015, 05:03 PM
I tried that this time and there was no noticeable difference.

vwblackb5
11-07-2015, 12:59 PM
OP, FWIW I encountered a similar issue like this on my B5 twice. First time it was my CTS (coolant temp sensor) and the 2nd time i found a small leak (ruptured hose) in line with the fuel filter. Both caused issues during cold start.

Other things i would ask, how do your plugs look and in the 4 times this happened in a month how many times did you gas up (possible gas cap issue)?

xthealienatorx
11-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I put gas in every Sunday, there isn't really any corresponding pattern between the two. I had a engine light about a year ago for the coolant temp sensor, I cleared it and it never came back. It only seems to do this when it is cooling down, about 1/8th on the temp gauge. I thought about the spark plugs last night, I've got about 33xxx on them, I pulled them and they have a grayish white tint to them (overheating?). Any way to check for ruptured hose other than puddle? I'm think I'm going to change my plugs next weekend when I do my oil.

walky_talky20
11-07-2015, 09:09 PM
If you ever had a code for the CTS, just replace it. They are high failure rate and are extremely important in controlling the startup mixture. This means the sensor value is very heavily relied upon during startup and has the most "weight" in the decision of how much fuel to inject. A faulty reading from this sensor can cause the mixture to be so lean or so rich that startup is impossible. Due to the relative cheapness, and the importance of the sensor, I would recommend a genuine OEM sensor from an Audi or VW part counter.

It really sounds like a mixture issue to me. Like it is getting too much fuel and flooding out. This is because you say it starts by holding your foot the floor when cranking (this is the clear-flood mode). A CTS that is intermittently lying and reporting a colder-than-actual coolant temperature could absolutely cause the condition you describe. It's not the only thing, but based on your symptoms (past CTS code, seems like a mixture issue, seems to be engine-temperature-dependent) I would say it is most likely.

Good Luck.

adam044
11-07-2015, 09:27 PM
OEM CTS is only about $10 online. So do that and the plugs, looking at a max of $30. I replaced mine a few months ago but didn't have these symptoms at all. My car just wasn't reporting the proper temp on the dash, drove with it bad for about a month before I did actually replace it.