PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel (or alternative) replacements for LOWER control arms

LA4
10-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Wanted to replace my sway bar end links this weekend. As always, the first side went easy and was buttoned up in 20 minutes. And as always, the second side was an unholy bitch to remove. My end link was seized in the passenger's side front lower control arm, so I opted to drop the arm and drill it out.

At this point, I found the pinch bolt that goes through the front lower control arm (and the subframe I believe) had REALLY seized up. It took both hands, a foot, and some creative bending of my body and cursing to remove that sonofabitch. Slowly worked it out a 1/4 turn at a time. In the process I started stripping the nut as well, so there's no way I want to reuse it.

To be clear this is the bolt and nut I am referring to (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0SQiUinnuqJcldHVHl4Ulphb3c/view?usp=sharing).

I know redline posted here (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/662936-Tips-and-Tricks-to-save-time-money) about a stainless steel replacement for the upper control arms, a little "hack" I enjoy for doing any type of suspension work with the upper control arms. I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for something similar for this lower control arm bolt. Or is my best bet to just go to the dealer and get an OEM replacement?

redline380
10-31-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm sure you could find a stainless alternative to that bolt. However, I would recommend upgrading your tools. A big 1/2 ratchet, mine is 24" long, and proper air tools go a very long way. And in many instances. A $1000 spent on tools will be a huge help over many many years. They are definitely an investment.

LA4
10-31-2015, 11:44 AM
I have air tools, breaker bars, etc. In this case though I'm not sure where you think it would be helpful. There's just no room around either end of that lower control arm bolt for anything other than a wrench or a small-medium sized ratchet.

I'm always down for buying new tools, and I'm with you that they make life easier, I just don't see where they would come into play for this particular problem.