PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: APR 1740 Supercharger Kit- Still in box

mr_dennis_s
10-16-2015, 05:11 PM
I ordered this kit about a month ago from Drive Auto Works and it is still at their shop sitting in the box. I wasn't going to install it until after the winter but my family and I are moving and we have incurred some additional expenses in which we need to free up some cash. Unfortunately when I spoke to Drive Auto about returning it to APR there is a 25% restocking fee. Not willing to lose out on $3900. Therefore, I am offering this brand new kit at an additional discount to APR's current sales price. Asking $12,949 ($1000 off current pricing) I do not have to sell the kit so not interested in selling below my asking price. I will just keep it and tough it out. If you were on the fence about purchasing this kit this is your opportunity to get it even cheaper. My loss is your gain.

BTW... I had not purchased the HPFP yet so those are not included.

AudiYes
10-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Mass = Massachusetts? I assume Drive Auto Works is in NJ?

mr_dennis_s
10-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Mass = Massachusetts? I assume Drive Auto Works is in NJ?

Yes and Yes

your daddy
10-16-2015, 07:35 PM
???

mr_dennis_s
10-17-2015, 04:29 AM
???

I know right... we will see what happens.

RAudi Driver
10-17-2015, 08:40 AM
I ordered this kit about a month ago from Drive Auto Works and it is still at their shop sitting in the box. I wasn't going to install it until after the winter but my family and I are moving and we have incurred some additional expenses in which we need to free up some cash. Unfortunately when I spoke to Drive Auto about returning it to APR there is a 25% restocking fee. Not willing to lose out on $3900. Therefore, I am offering this brand new kit at an additional discount to APR's current sales price. Asking $12,949 ($1000 off current pricing) I do not have to sell the kit so not interested in selling below my asking price. I will just keep it and tough it out. If you were on the fence about purchasing this kit this is your opportunity to get it even cheaper. My loss is your gain.

BTW... I had not purchased the HPFP yet so those are not included.

How much can this kit be had for right now at ECS, seeing as they are blowing them out right now?

AudiYes
10-17-2015, 11:02 AM
???

Rick you've worked on my car recently, do you recommend this kit? Or JHM is the way to go?

your daddy
10-17-2015, 12:38 PM
either. both good units. jhm is a vortec blower sits down in the bumper, apr is an eaton up on the manifold. and dennis stop tempting me!i cant justify it this year. partial trade for a big HP gti :)

Quattrors4
10-17-2015, 01:08 PM
either. both good units. jhm is a vortec blower sits down in the bumper, apr is an eaton up on the manifold. and dennis stop tempting me!i cant justify it this year. partial trade for a big HP gti :)

Common man it's time for some boost in your rs

mr_dennis_s
10-17-2015, 01:08 PM

I was going to call you and offer it to you before posting but I know you have already picked up a lot of goodies for your RS4 this year. Have you even listed the GTI yet? You could have brought it to German Day at Larz last weekend. I am sure someone would have taken it off your hands!

your daddy
10-17-2015, 04:13 PM
i was in PR last weekend. took my first vacation in 6 years. I am bummed i missed it. was talking to one of my customer about german car day. he had the red 944 there.

your daddy
10-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Common man it's time for some boost in your rs

tell me about it. its my first NA car in a long time.

LO KAL ViSUAL
10-17-2015, 04:30 PM
I wish I had enough money to buy this. GLWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your daddy
10-18-2015, 07:33 AM
dennis, if its still in a box in the spring. i need to be your first call.

RAudi Driver
10-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Do you do a layaway plan like Sears used to. What a racquet that was.

I wish I was still modding my car because that would be in my hands by now.

mr_dennis_s
10-18-2015, 11:46 AM
dennis, if its still in a box in the spring. i need to be your first call.

Done... but the chances are if it no one picks it up now it will be in my car in the spring. Whenever it is at your shop of course you can have at it!!!

Do you do a layaway plan like Sears used to. What a racquet that was.

I wish I was still modding my car because that would be in my hands by now.

Haha.. Only if!

bshanna
10-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Would someone buy this already? My will to resist is no that strong.

robr4793
10-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Very very tempted to. I want the amd kit but this kit is very tempting. How much are the hpfp separately? Never mind I'll just look it up.

RAudi Driver
10-20-2015, 06:13 PM
What is the AMD kit. Aviva. I like that kit also..

How do the 2 differ and how much is that Aviva kit?

ad2330
10-21-2015, 11:49 AM
I can't stop thinking about this either, but here's my problem:

I've been thinking seriously about 'mixing things up' and moving on from the RS. However, my search never yields shit for a replacement and so I keep holding onto her.

MY QUESTION -
For those of you who're blown, does it TRULY transform the car??? Is the $15k WORTH it? Will I 'fall back in love' with the car if it's blown?

RAudi Driver
10-21-2015, 12:05 PM
^Waiting on this response also.

badbluers4
10-21-2015, 12:52 PM

I've been thinking seriously about 'mixing things up' and moving on from the RS. However, my search never yields shit for a replacement and so I keep holding onto her.

MY QUESTION -
For those of you who're blown, does it TRULY transform the car??? Is the $15k WORTH it? Will I 'fall back in love' with the car if it's blown?
Matt, yes it is all that and a bag of chips lol I wish there was one u could drive nearby. It's truly worth it!

WinterRunner
10-21-2015, 12:53 PM
^ This will affirm my decision to move on to an R8 (V8 or 10 is still up in the air) or buy a lower mileage RS4 w/ blower also. It's so hard to fill our RS4's shoes so to speak.....

RAudi Driver
10-21-2015, 02:16 PM
The R8 is in another category of cars, in every way. The RS4 is a dated car with a very dated interior. The only thing good about the car is it's a manual V8 and they are somewhat rare.

Driving pleasure, the R8 is gonna beat it in every way.

robr4793
10-21-2015, 04:25 PM
The amd kit uses a 1900 tvs supercharger while apr uses a 1740 I believe, so it's a little smaller but I believe a little more modern. Don't quote me on the modern part. I go by the phase "there's no replacement for displacement.There kit is cheaper but with the low price almost the same. Same power levels about but amd kit comes with the high pressure fuel pumps if one decideds to go there HP kit option. Only good things about amd I have heard. Apr I have heard good and bad but I would still get there kit if it was price effient. Even now with the deal its at about 14k. That does not include the high pressure fuel pumps needed so 16k. Amd 14k out the door. This kit is a good deal don't get me wrong but it's a pretty penny.

What is the AMD kit. Aviva. I like that kit also..

How do the 2 differ and how much is that Aviva kit?

ad2330
10-21-2015, 04:28 PM
The R8 is in another category of cars, in every way. The RS4 is a dated car with a very dated interior. The only thing good about the car is it's a manual V8 and they are somewhat rare.

Driving pleasure, the R8 is gonna beat it in every way.

Little harsh don't ya think? I'd say it's a pretty remarkable car given how many of us still own and thoroughly enjoy such a 'dated' car.

Obviously the R8 is a premier vehicle...I don't think anyone is arguing that.

robr4793
10-21-2015, 04:28 PM
12k shipped :)

swesna
10-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Matt, yes it is all that and a bag of chips lol I wish there was one u could drive nearby. It's truly worth it!

even my APR 1320 SC Cab feels much better than my NA Sedan.

beamon
10-21-2015, 07:18 PM
If you get the R8, skip the V8 and get the V10. Better yet, get a Stasis Challenge Extreme V10 supercharged version. Surprisingly the challenge extreme on used market is not that much more than a regular V10. Perhaps because Stasis is gone now...anyways I digress...this is tempting me too...hmmmm...how much is average install going to cost?

Gareth_oau
10-21-2015, 10:59 PM
Little harsh don't ya think? I'd say it's a pretty remarkable car given how many of us still own and thoroughly enjoy such a 'dated' car.

Obviously the R8 is a premier vehicle...I don't think anyone is arguing that.

and I presume there is a price difference.

Apples with apples?

mr_dennis_s
10-22-2015, 01:20 PM
12k shipped :)

PM sent!

mr_dennis_s
10-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Sale Pending...

robr4793
10-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Someone pulled the trigger good. I started a thread noting the pros and cons. Should not pull the trigger on kit but this deal doesn't come around often

bluebull
10-23-2015, 04:24 PM

MY QUESTION -

If money isn't an object, then it was worth it when they were $20k... I love my SC RS4... I have the 1320 and would love to to do the upgrade, but... money is an object right now because of all the other pending upgrades.

robr4793
10-24-2015, 06:06 PM
I just spent 4 k at the vet. That is the only reason why I haven't pulled the trigger. Well spent it a week or so ago. Note to all , dog insurance is golden lol. Especially if you have a rare breed

S4Per
10-24-2015, 08:13 PM

MY QUESTION -

100% completely different car with the blower. That's not an exaggeration.

str8blst
10-26-2015, 07:12 AM

100% correct... when you put on one of these on the car it turns an already fun/capable car into a much much faster more fun ride.

ad2330
10-26-2015, 07:13 AM

In other words...you can't imagine driving your RS w/out the blower?

It's hard to imagine spending $15-18K on a supercharger, but then you think about the alternative route (other than just doing nothing which is boring [:D]):

F80 M3: TTV6, 6MT, making roughly 450hp...costs probably $80k the way I'd want it
C63 S AMG: TTV8, no manual, making 500hp...costs probably $85k+
Porsche GT3: 997 probably $120K, and a 991 probably $150k...
R8 V10: manual, making 525hp, $115k+...

There's nothing else really that comes to mind at the moment...am I missing something?

For those dollars, it makes a blower seem reasonable. The downside is you've got a car that's 8 years old. I think I could get over that if I was making 625hp..

denis silva
10-26-2015, 08:19 AM
In other words...you can't imagine driving your RS w/out the blower?

It's hard to imagine spending $15-18K on a supercharger, but then you think about the alternative route (other than just doing nothing which is boring [:D]):

F80 M3: TTV6, 6MT, making roughly 450hp...costs probably $80k the way I'd want it
C63 S AMG: TTV8, no manual, making 500hp...costs probably $85k+
Porsche GT3: 997 probably $120K, and a 991 probably $150k...
R8 V10: manual, making 525hp, $115k+...

There's nothing else really that comes to mind at the moment...am I missing something?

For those dollars, it makes a blower seem reasonable. The downside is you've got a car that's 8 years old. I think I could get over that if I was making 625hp..

Thats about right!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalklk

NastyNogaro
10-26-2015, 11:38 AM

Why isn't a 997 turbo in this list? They are AWD and the 07-08 models I am seeing on eBay in the 70s, 60s even with a couple in the high 50s.

alexj87
10-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Why isn't a 997 turbo in this list? They are AWD and the 07-08 models I am seeing on eBay in the 70s, 60s even with a couple in the high 50s.

SHHHHH! dont give away my plans!

TypeRx
10-26-2015, 04:41 PM

I picked up a modified 997.1TT a couple months ago. I previously only drove my RS4 like 4-6k miles a year...now its going to drop even more. In any case, I still love the RS4 for its refinement, comfort, and exhaust note. But it is SO slow comparatively speaking. Which is silly because the RS is still a mighty quick ride.

Kind of funny but even my RS with the original RNS-E is so much more advanced than the electronics on the Porsche. Also, I used to complain about the cost of mods on the Audi compared to my prior experiences with Japanese cars. But Porsche aftermarket accessories and OEM parts ($$) take it to a whole new level.

NastyNogaro
10-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks for that feedback TypeRx! Much appreciated!! I've been wanting to talk to RS4 owners who "graduated" to a 997 turbo. Definitely a possible next car for me. But I love having 4 doors and I'm still in love with my RS4. I think swesna has the right idea. A supercharged RS4 as a daily driver and a 993 weekend car seem like a better option to me personally. I just wish the 993 turbos weren't priced for millionaires. [emoji17]

swesna
10-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks for that feedback TypeRx! Much appreciated!! I've been wanting to talk to RS4 owners who "graduated" to a 997 turbo. Definitely a possible next car for me. But I love having 4 doors and I'm still in love with my RS4. I think swesna has the right idea. A supercharged RS4 as a daily driver and a 993 weekend car seem like a better option to me personally. I just wish the 993 turbos weren't priced for millionaires. [emoji17]

I don't DD the 08 RS4 SCed Cab ( or 98 993 C2S)...both of these sit in the garage next to each other, they are friends. But when I do drive the Cab it is clear that the SC does add a good amt of power even with the APR 1320.

I DD the 08 RS4 N/A Sedan which is getting close to 39K miles. I beat on it daily, every single time I get behind the wheel.

vdubjetta02
10-28-2015, 08:18 AM

MY QUESTION -

I love your car, I hope you hold onto it a little longer so I can eventually buy it haha. I'm in Nebraska like 8 times a year

ad2330
10-28-2015, 10:39 AM
I love your car, I hope you hold onto it a little longer so I can eventually buy it haha. I'm in Nebraska like 8 times a year

Thanks man! I've thought about moving onto something else, but can't seem to pull the trigger.

Let me know if you're seriously interested [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackstallion
10-28-2015, 03:32 PM

Another member incase your curious is S4V8 who went on to a 997 Turbo and has since moved into an RS5...

TypeRx
10-28-2015, 05:07 PM
997 Turbo is far from perfect, that is for sure. I don't think I would like things as much if I didn't have both the RS4 and 997.1TT in the garage. But since neither are my daily driver, there just isn't enough time in the day to ever use the RS4. Porsche almost always wins and my kids are still young enough (~10 and 8) that they fit in the back of the 911 fine.

There was another member on here (from Highland Park, IL or thereabouts) that went from RS4 to a '10 911 Turbo (different engine than 07-09), hated it, and ended up selling it shortly thereafter. At least that is what I recall. It is definitely not a car for everyone...but then again, neither is the RS4.

993 pricing has simply gotten unreasonable. I hope it happens to the 997 soon :)

beamon
10-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Hi TypeRx. Glad you are enjoying the 997 turbo and California weather! I recall you moved from Chicago to Cali. I was the fellow from north shore who had the 997.2 turbo 6 speed. It was a good car but just not for me. The flat six felt sluggish without the turbos engaged even in sport mode. The acceleration with turbos was nice but the revs had to be at least 4K to avoid lag. I really missed holding gears to 8k rpm in the rs4 and exhaust note. The 911 turbo exhaust was not good at all...perhaps needed an aftermarket one. I had many options on the 911 with an marp of 173k, lots of leather inside but it showed age and wore quickly. Despite being awd, the rear end came around too easy for my liking. At end of day, I really enjoyed getting back into rs4 after novelty off 911 wore off.

str8blst
10-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Saw the car at Driveauto this morning. Beautiful interior! You will be very happy with your new charger! Your old one you can use as a door stop.... Let me know when you pick up your car. Would love to meet up with you.

Blackstallion
10-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Saw the car at Driveauto this morning. Beautiful interior! You will be very happy with your new charger! Your old one you can use as a door stop.... Let me know when you pick up your car. Would love to meet up with you.

Awesome--judging by your post im assuming the new owner is on here and had the older 1320 kit aswell...

str8blst
10-30-2015, 07:59 AM
Awesome--judging by your post im assuming the new owner is on here and had the older 1320 kit aswell...

he has the old PES kit....or should we call it the POS kit... LOL

Sales@DriveAuto
11-02-2015, 06:01 AM

I think he's on here, as the car looks familiar - but I'll let him jump in if he wants to. Old kit is PES, new one should be much better.

Dennis is a standup guy as well - glad his kit was able to find a new home.

S4V8
11-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Another member incase your curious is S4V8 who went on to a 997 Turbo and has since moved into an RS5...

I did.

The 997TT was a great car, just not for me. I am currently enjoying the RS5 however, I have got the itch again and am looking at either at the new M3 or, V8 R8.

ad2330
11-02-2015, 07:33 AM
I did.

The 997TT was a great car, just not for me. I am currently enjoying the RS5 however, I have got the itch again and am looking at either at the new M3 or, V8 R8.

God that new M3 is bad.. I can't stop looking at it, either.

Anyone driven one? Is it 'peppy'? And comparatively to the RS?

Sure seems like it'd be a really fun car to mod.

your daddy
11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
not a fan. feels anemic down low compared to the RS.

WinterRunner
11-03-2015, 07:10 AM
I can't talk about driving them, but the new M3/4 looks odd in my eyes. Makes me really miss the E46 era.

outsider6661
11-03-2015, 07:16 AM
The m3/m4 exhaust note sounds like a lawnmower. Other than that it looks and performs fantastic. Rather have the RS4, don't see many of them around unlike the M3/M4. They are a dime a dozen on the road. Guess I'm spoiled with the caliber of cars I see day to day up here...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NastyNogaro
11-03-2015, 07:18 AM
I did.

Care to elaborate why? Feel free to PM. I've heard nothing but good things from a couple friends who have them, but obviously everyone's taste is different.

To be completely honest I would love to get the 2017 S4 when it comes out with the V6 TT, especially since they are offering it in the exclusive "nogaro" edition, (I love nogaro for those who don't know me), but I hear it will not have 3 pedals. Shame. Seems like the only suitable replacement for an RS4 is a supercharged RS4 [evilsmile]

WinterRunner
11-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Or a first gen R8

NastyNogaro
11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
I suppose. Just seems like a lot of money to pay (I haven't seen any less than high 80s) for not that impressive of a car in the power department. I would hate to drop that money and run into a 911 turbo on the highway...

your daddy
11-03-2015, 05:55 PM
not a fan. feels anemic down low compared to the RS.
whoops, i didnt see new m3. i glanced and saw V8. i was referring to the e90.