PDA

View Full Version : Anyone went from B6/B7 S4 to S5?

quattroism25
09-05-2015, 07:17 AM
So I'm considering making the switch to a S5. My lightly modded B6 S4 is fun, and defintely no slouch, but it's getting a little dated. Since its debut I've always liked and wanted a S5. I'm so use to the loud 4.2 V8 I'd miss it if I go for the 3.0t. Besides the B8.5 is out of my budget anyway. Is the V8 S5 a worthy upgrade or will I be disappointed?

ThewhippetsS5
09-05-2015, 08:18 AM
I can't really contribute because I haven't had a B6/B7, but I personally love my B8 S5. However I'm actually looking to move to a B7 S4 in the near future. Both cars are amazing and the tech in the B8 is great especially if you go with a 2010+ model. Maintenance wise, my 2009 is at 82,000 miles and the only thing I really needed to do with the car besides regular service was carbon buildup and replace a broken thermostat. For performance I think the two cars are about the same, but JHM just came out with their tune a few months ago. From what I've heard it's a big difference just like how it was for the B6/B7 platforms. Gas mileage should be better than your S4 though because of the FSI. In the end, both are brilliant cars and you can't go wrong with either one. Hope this helps!

quattroism25
09-06-2015, 05:37 AM
Why the move to a B7? Is it just the need for 4 doors?

ThewhippetsS5
09-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Why the move to a B7? Is it just the need for 4 doors?

I find that the steering feel is better on the B7 because it's hydraulic, but the main reason is because I'm dying for an avant because of the space and it's more incognito. The S5 does get a ton of attention from others, which can be good or bad. Also one other thing that bothers me about the 5 is the frameless windows. They look really really good, but they're a hassle in the winter because they get stuck when I open and close the door so I get scared to shatter the glass when closing

Steve_K
09-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Hi,

I used to have a 2005 B6 S4 prior to my '09 V8 S5.

The S4 was nice, had good power and was a good cruiser on longer trips, very comfortable. In it's day, it also looked good, although the B7 shape is becoming a bit dated now, although there are people who still really prefer the older Audi shapes, and that's all good too. In my opinion, the S5 is just in a different league as far as looks, a shape that won't date as quickly. The entire car is different, different engine, different quattro system, different handling, different exhaust sound, etc. The interior is also very much better, and I think the B8 as a platform is just so much better than the B6/B7, which were very similar.

If you're a fan of the S5, then you won't be sorry, it's a fantastic car and has a totally different personality to that of the B6 S4. Just be warned, she is a bit heavy, but if I recall, the S4 wasn't too light either.

You might just want to get a decent aftermarket exhaust system though, the stock exhaust system is very quiet and restrictive, so go 2.5inch or 63mm from the CAT's at least.

superswiss
09-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Coming from a B6 S4, the move to a B8 S5 might be a worthy move for the newer quattro system alone. I had a B7 S4 and didn't make the move to the B8 S5. I didn't feel it was a worthy upgrade. While the S5 engine doesn't have the timing chain, cylinder scorching and oil burning issues it has carbon buildup issues just like the RS4. These are all relatively first generation FSI engines. While carbon buildup isn't solved it seems that it's less of an issue in later engines such as the RS5 and the V6 in the current S5. IMO, the B8.5 S5 would be a worthy upgrade, but I ultimately held on to my B7 and then went all the way to the RS5 when it came out. It also depends on how the S5 you are considering is equipped. The big differentiator of the B8/.5 is the rear sport differential.

CyberS5
09-09-2015, 06:57 PM
The 09 - 12 Audi S5 V8 has a classic appeal you will like. I have the 2012 version - the last of its kind, and my wife does not want to part with it for any of the newer cars. The curves are a classic, compared the the edgy techno look of the newer models. The growl of the V8 is music to the ears. The S5 stance is wider and lower than the S4, so it looks sportier. However, the front is a bit heavy, and the sports differential can compensate a bit for it. I'm planning to also put Alu Kreuz and see how it goes. So far, no regrets for the V8 S5. I put in in Sports mode 90% of the time.

blackluna
09-10-2015, 12:03 AM
Move from B6 S4 to B8 S5 was too much of a horizontal move for me and I'm disappointed. S5 is a competent car and does everything really well but it's just too close to what I used to have so I personally find it hard to get excited.

Corners4kids
05-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Went from a B7 S4 to a 2016 STI and then back to four ring land with a 2011 S5. Oh god it's good to be back.

Different than the S4 I had, but so nice to have that growl back. A bit heavy up front, but if you don't need to toss it into every corner out there, the grown up super fast dad car it is will appeal to you every day. Love mine.

Baby seat fits too. I just have to climb in the back and strap little guy down while my wife shakes her head.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine mobile app