PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust flap rpm - vagcom?

Johnhanson
08-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Folks, looking for vagcom experts. Here's the background.

I Went on a golf road trip yesterday. I was running a bit late so I was driving "quick" for a couple hours to make my tee time. I noticed that when I had it comfort mode the exhaust flaps would open at 3000 rpm/140 kph. While the capristo was music to my ears, after a couple hours I wanted the flaps closed for times when the cruising rpm were say...3200-4000 rpm as the road, wind, and engine noise combined was getting a bit up there.

I've read many threads where people say they are always open over 3800 but my car seems like 3000. Anyone know if there is a way to change this to 3800-4000 via vagcom or some other means? I know this may be heresy to some- trust me I drive with my capristo set to open in manual mode with the revs in the sweet spot 98% of the time - I average 20L/100km for a reason - but for >140 highway cruising I would like the valves closed if possible.....sometimes.

Johnhanson
09-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Weird. I've been playing around recently, and around town it's clear the flaps always open up at 3800 as already established. I can't figure out why they do over 140/3,000rpm in 7th.

It seems nobody has an answer anyway so I'll just pull a Kool-Aid man and slowly back away.

n4matx
10-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Weird. I've been playing around recently, and around town it's clear the flaps always open up at 3800 as already established. I can't figure out why they do over 140/3,000rpm in 7th.

It seems nobody has an answer anyway so I'll just pull a Kool-Aid man and slowly back away.

Could be showing my stupidity, but will "muting" the Soundaktor do what you are looking for? Got this from a post but haven't tried it yet...you first!

+++++++++++++++
To mute the Soundaktor (as an alternative to pulling the fuse):

A9 Structure Borne Sound (in my car, this was in the second Installed tab, not the first one that's shown by default)
Adaptation 10
At Channel drop down choose "Volume of structure borne noise actuator" (only choice)
Enter a value in the proper box (0% = mute :))

Did this yesterday and what difference it makes.
Note, my 13 8.5 S4 did not accept "0" as acceptable but did accept "1" as 1.2.
Thanks!
+++++++++++++++

Johnhanson
10-03-2015, 08:04 PM
RS5 is the last car in the world that needs soundaktor - it has no such thing. I'm referring just to the exhaust valves. Like I said - they're open 95% of the time and I don't do prolonged highway blasts over 150 too often so this really isn't a big deal anyway. But thanks for trying!

Tpca789
11-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Does the optional remote unit for the Capristo allow complete manual control of the valves regardless of the other drive select settings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnhanson
11-22-2015, 12:47 PM
It does. Good point. Spending an extra G doesn't seem worth it tho. Literally this problem occurs once every couple months when I need to travel at highly illegal speeds for a few hours. And when I do that I usually am enjoying the sound anyway.

I think I wrote this post with a hangover. I'm putting a goddam intake on my car within the next coupes months - I think I like noise ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beast
11-22-2015, 01:39 PM
sucks that the 13 RS5 does not have full valve control, on the 14-15 when engine sound is set to dynamic valves are open at all RPM, in comfort valves are closed all RPM.

Johnhanson
11-22-2015, 05:23 PM
sucks that the 13 RS5 does not have full valve control, on the 14-15 when engine sound is set to dynamic valves are open at all RPM, in comfort valves are closed all RPM.

For real? I thought that was the case on mine also until I got the Capristo and noticed exactly when the valves open.

I would take yours for a drive and see if what you speak is actually true. I would be surprised if the valves were actually closed in comfort at 6-8k rpm.

Either way valves closed are gay. I'm ashamed of this post now.

Beast
11-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Yeah lol just unplug the vacuum lines in the trunk.

PEM
11-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Either way valves closed are gay. I'm ashamed of this post now.

HAHA I enjoy the closed valves because it's an option and I can't leave my neighborhood with valves open without tripping a couple car alarms. Also helps when cruising and just listening to music/chatting with the girl.

PEM
11-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Yeah lol just unplug the vacuum lines in the trunk.

That was one of the first things I did when I had the stock sports exhaust. Now that I have the Capristo hooked up, I plugged it back up.

Johnhanson
11-23-2015, 10:07 AM
That was one of the first things I did when I had the stock sports exhaust. Now that I have the Capristo hooked up, I plugged it back up.

Agreed.

Gonzoe11
11-24-2015, 10:41 AM

Sorry for high jacking this thread, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a 13 RS5. So does the 13 RS not have valve control from the ADS settings?

Johnhanson
11-24-2015, 10:47 AM
It does. It's just tied to the dynamic engine/transmission setting. Don't fear. The point I was making is that even with the system in comfort the valves default open above X rpm - which you will barely notice with the stock system anyway - sport or non sport. It sounds like maybe on the 14/15 you can almost "lock" then closed, but I'm still not 100% sure that's the case either.

It doesn't matter because you will be getting an aftermarket exhaust ASAP anyway and have the valves open all the time. Enjoy the car man

Beast
11-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Sorry for high jacking this thread, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a 13 RS5. So does the 13 RS not have valve control from the ADS settings?

it does but it will close/open depending on RPM. As with the 14/15 it stays open at all RPM range in dynamic.

Gonzoe11
11-25-2015, 04:15 AM
it does but it will close/open depending on RPM. As with the 14/15 it stays open at all RPM range in dynamic.

It does. It's just tied to the dynamic engine/transmission setting. Don't fear. The point I was making is that even with the system in comfort the valves default open above X rpm - which you will barely notice with the stock system anyway - sport or non sport. It sounds like maybe on the 14/15 you can almost "lock" then closed, but I'm still not 100% sure that's the case either.

It doesn't matter because you will be getting an aftermarket exhaust ASAP anyway and have the valves open all the time. Enjoy the car man

Thanks guys.. Looking forward to it and appreciate the info.

jkownz
11-25-2015, 04:20 AM
Congratulations and welcome!. Your going to love it.

Gonzoe11
11-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Congratulations and welcome!. Your going to love it.

Looking forward to it. Thank you [up]

TontoLoidRS5
07-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Got the 13 with stock exhausts. Noted at idle and in any other mode than dynamic the 2 inner flaps are closed. When I change to dynamic only one more (the inner left side) opens. Do yours both open at idle in dynamic then?