PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 Audi S5 4.2L V8 Maintenance and Reliability

dopes5
08-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Hello all I'm new from NJ, sorry if this has been posted several times, I swear I tried to search.

Anyway in the market for a 2010-2011 audi s5 6spd. Most in the 42-46k range.
From anyone who has made it to 60k or past that what is the maintenance like. I've read things about carbon build up. Something with axles? Misfires.

I take very good care of my vechicles but can't hide from blatant errors from factories (my 06 g35 6spd had over 50 TSBs out on it including and engine and tranny replacement) so you can see my fear in purchasing without warranty.

Anyone have info on TSBs for the car, general thoughts getting to 60k from 40k. what to look for in a pre-owned.

Also can you purchase an audi extended warranty for an already expired car? probably not.....

Now for the fun stuff... thoughts on alcantara seat inserts? vs red leather deep sea pearl effect vs black

I know my post is jumbled...but I appreciate any help and thoughts. Thanks!

Steve_K
08-25-2015, 01:49 AM
Hi dopes5,

Firstly, if you're in the market for an Audi V8 that's not going to break the bank, the pre-facelift S5 is the one to get. I have a '09 and just recently gone over 100K km's, which I guess is 60K miles in American speak, or thereabouts. I've had the car for a little over 2 and a half years now and got her on around 65K odd kilometers. Shortly before I got the car, the engine was replaced, but to be fair, the issue WASN"T the engine. The issue was that there was a bad batch of intake manifolds produced by Audi in Germany, and my car had one, but in troubleshooting the problem, the entire engine was replaced. The issue was perforations within the intake manifold. So, I got the car with very little miles on the engine, but regardless, I've not had 1 day of problems with her, apart from the usual carbon clean recently done, etc. I do look after my cars, and make sure that they are serviced when they need to be at regular intervals. Make sure you use the correct grade of oil too. The other common issues, which were replaced on my car about a year ago were suspension bushings. They don't tend to wear quickly, but I had a few hairline cracks in my suspension bushings, and as my car at the time was still covered by what we call Audi Freeway plan here in South Africa, they decided to replace them free of charge. The other issue with the suspension will be your front lower control arms, which either should have been replaced on a '10 or '11 car already, or I think the issue was remedied from the factory for those production years. The initial lower control arm was just a bit too weak for the heavy engine up front, so more beefier control arms were designed.

Apart from the above few niggles, the 4.2 V8 engine in the S5 in pretty much bullet proof, and not much goes wrong with it. There should also be plenty of "indie" shops around who should know how to work on the car, otherwise just ask in the forums.

Good luck and post up some photos when you get the car.

DML
08-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Agree with above -- and I have even supercharged her [emoji16]

Kemnik
08-27-2015, 10:45 PM
I bought a '09 S5 with 99k miles on the odo. Risky but I'll tell you what, this thing is tight, doesn't rattle, and there really isn't any major services under 100k anyway. This particular car only had a few minor things in its life. Upper control arms, light bulbs, a wiper motor etc. since I've purchased it I decided to have the carbon cleaning done as a preventative measure and when they opened it up it certainly needed it but it wasn't as bad as you'd think for 90k. I've heard other FSI engines are worse (e.g., needing it at 30k etc.) now that I know this I won't take it back for cleaning for a long time. Also plugs and coils are easily replaced yourself as is the oil change and basic suspension parts if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. The independent shop I used (034 motorsports) is great and also said the S5 has proven to be quite reliable. Good luck!

fstr n u
06-30-2017, 12:12 AM
I've had zero issues with my 2010 V8 manual trans S5. I have 80,000kms or 50,000 miles on it and it drives throughout temp extremes (-40 degree celsius and +40 degree celsius temps). I am year 3 with this car and outside of a volume control switch that is finnicky, i've replaced a key fob battery and the car battery (trunk mounted). Thoroughly enjoying the car and with the Fast Intentions exhaust...it's sexy to look at...sexy to hear and fun to drive. One of my favorite cars next to my old E46 BMW M3 and my 800+hp 4th Gen Fbody Camaro.

JackDecompiler
06-30-2017, 01:29 PM
2012 V8 S5 with 60K miles on it.

Only real issue was with fluid-filled engine mounts. They are a weak spot, but even if they develop cracks and fluid leaks out, nothing bad happens. People drive with them cracked for years and not notice a thing. Mine were replaced while still under warranty. 034 Motorsport makes a great aftermarket replacement that contains no fluid and runs for around $400

Other minor things were
- Rear-view camera taking long-ish to turn on, i.e. not instant. Surprisingly enough, it was replaced under warranty as well.
- Rear bumper developed a squeak, the issue was solved by a quick forum search and tightening one nut on each side.

4.2 V8 engine is pretty much bulletproof

thenewbruno
06-30-2017, 03:08 PM
I bought a 2010 V8 manual S5 with 86,000km on it in December 2014. I now have 139,850km and I LOVE this car. JHM tune and exhaust. I tried selling it in the spring asking a lot to try and get into a B8.5 cabriolet. It didn't sell so I'm quite happy to carry on driving this baby. Its been tremendously reliable and tight and overall great. Last summer I had a vaccuum leak which was a few hundred bucks labour. Thats it for problems. I had a cc done at that time since the intake had to be taken off to fix the leak. Buildup wasn't bad.

Now I have a coolant leak and my clutch/flywheel is starting to show early signs of giving up. Coolant leak - fine whatever. Clutch/flywheel wobbling....the S5 is well documented as having a shite stock clutch so given that I've added to the cars power and driven a stout amount of distance...this is all fine with me. Thats motoring.

Just an all around great car. Go for it.

VEEDUBB1
06-30-2017, 08:11 PM
You just might have to carbon clean the intake ports at some point. Other then that mine has 150km and still strong.

Jeff V.
06-30-2017, 10:22 PM
Only real issue was with fluid-filled engine mounts. They are a weak spot, but even if they develop cracks and fluid leaks out, nothing bad happens. People drive with them cracked for years and not notice a thing.

Mine leaked, which caused an electrical short, and nearly made my car undrivable. I limped it home and then had it towed to be repaired. It was bad.

LokiInGT
01-26-2019, 01:42 AM
I know I am asking this question on an old thread but how are your 2010 S5's doing at this point? I am looking at one that has 100k miles on it for 11,000 but the car has been well taken care of. Just wondering what major problems I might expect from it.

cts5
01-26-2019, 06:29 AM
my 6speed 2010 (bought in 2012 with 35,000) now has 105,000 and is running great. It's never had a carbon clean (knock wood). I had a vacuum leak, the coolant bottle crack/repair, and the original clutch now has a little fussy engagement when it's hot - like stop and go in the middle of summer traffic. Two of my carbon trim pieces have started to pull up from their backing, I just glued them back in. It's a great car that turns heads, drives great, and sounds amazing.

11S5V8
01-26-2019, 07:30 AM
my 6speed 2010 (bought in 2012 with 35,000) now has 105,000 and is running great. It's never had a carbon clean (knock wood). I had a vacuum leak, the coolant bottle crack/repair, and the original clutch now has a little fussy engagement when it's hot - like stop and go in the middle of summer traffic. Two of my carbon trim pieces have started to pull up from their backing, I just glued them back in. It's a great car that turns heads, drives great, and sounds amazing.

+1

102k miles on the clock and aside from regular maintenance I've replaced 1 high pressure fuel pump, an o2 sensor, intake cleaned with a $40 sensor replaced and a thermostat. over all really really pleased with the car. I plan on keeping it for another 1.5-2 years

Sazexa
01-26-2019, 09:33 PM
I've had unfortunate luck with mine personally, but not the engine itself.

I had to replace a thermostat and cooling fan. Thermostat is common, the fan itself isn't.

I've also been having an issue plaguing me that affects driveability. I've got through three slave cylinders, two master cylinders, and did a clutch and flywheel replacement. Each time a cylinder went it resulted in a tow to the repair shop. I love the car, but, honestly from this experience I may never buy a manual car again.

LokiInGT
01-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Thank you all for the great information. I do most of my own mechanic work until it comes to full engine pulls or rebuilding (dont have the space for that) so this sounds like it will be worth taking a chance on.

S5Pilot
02-20-2019, 08:48 PM
I've had unfortunate luck with mine personally, but not the engine itself.

I had to replace a thermostat and cooling fan. Thermostat is common, the fan itself isn't.

I've also been having an issue plaguing me that affects driveability. I've got through three slave cylinders, two master cylinders, and did a clutch and flywheel replacement. Each time a cylinder went it resulted in a tow to the repair shop. I love the car, but, honestly from this experience I may never buy a manual car again.

Did you get the extended rod slave cylinder?

AWDfreak
02-21-2019, 02:54 PM
2012 S5 V8 45k miles MT

Coolant leak--coolant flange, back of engine (expensive labor repair)
Coolant leak--cracked plastic expansion tank at bottom fitting (easy DIY replacement)
Thermostat replaced
Cold start misfires--ongoing, likely carbon buildup

I thought there was a thread covering common V8 maintenance issues--but checking this forum, there are only three pages available only going back to November 2018--what's going on here--there were years worth of posts before?