PDA

View Full Version : Custom Xenon E-code and sidemarker Q

blackboost
10-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Since ... Splurging on a valeo ecode-xenon set cannot be an option right now. I was thinking of doing the DIY clear corner mod.. and getting Xenon projectors. Im also getting an HID kit .. 1.what else do i need to make this happen my main concern is wanting it 2 look good.
2.How much would it cost to HID the foglights and High beam.
3. Do i have 2 change the foglight to get the best results. can i? what kind?
4. I also have a cracked sidemarker on one side...Should i just change both. What kind of options do i have (different kinds of sidemarkers?) Im not a big fan of the amber blink. I like more of a clear or blue light radiance. when the sidemarker blinks.
THANKS GUYS

R-Dub
10-03-2005, 10:09 PM
DIY All the Way.

Its quick, easy and there are PLENTY of guides to help out.

Plus its an excuse to buy a dremel and a drill set. [:D]

OutkastSL
10-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by R-Dub

Plus its an excuse to buy a dremel and a drill set. [:D]

that's what i love best about DIY, you get to by new tools! YES!!

scooter44
10-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Im just sooo thankful that my dad is a contractor... FREE TOOLS!

makes DIY soo much easier!

diegomatrix
10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
i have a new rs6 kit (minus bulbs) that i didn't install... they're the hella gen4 d2s ballasts and ignitors
msg me if interested... otherwise i'll prolly put it on ebay soon..

R-Dub
10-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by diegomatrix
i have a new rs6 kit (minus bulbs) that i didn't install... they're the hella gen4 d2s ballasts and ignitors
msg me if interested... otherwise i'll prolly put it on ebay soon..

I need some HIDs for my fogs...hmm...oh wait *looks at wallet* neeevermind. [=(]

Dremel kits own - you ALWAYS find new uses for it. [up]

blackboost
10-04-2005, 02:33 AM
I Have a shop thats gonna install everything ... projectors and hid ... but no one answered my other questions.

RedRocket
10-04-2005, 07:26 AM
1. What are your current headlights? 1 piece or 2 peice?

2. Why do you want to HID the fogs and higbeams too? If you want to do this you will need 3 HID kits.

3. You mention that you have a cracked sidemarker and if you should change both, but your plan is to get Xenon projectors and do a CC'. Doesn't make sence, of course you are going to replace both.....

4. You will, depending on what headlamps you buy, a wiring harness, or maybe just a bunch of male female connectors.

5. You sound like you have stock 2-piece lights, and then you talk about the fod lights???

Please clarify what you have, what you want exactly, and maybe we can be of more help.

blackboost
10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
I have a 99.5 ... All the upgraded features ... yes 1 piece headlights ... Maybe not the high beam... but the foglights i def want 2 HID. What type of foglight would get me the best quality light ouput. The sidemarker i want it to emit NON-amber ... white or blue, would it look bad? Should i just leave it amber ? The sidemarker bulb still works ... its just the sidemarker itself is cracked.

lowestA4
10-04-2005, 07:47 AM
I have a hella oem audi hid kit stocked. Goes for $170 shipped. Xenon bulbs are missing. Ballasts and ignitors are still factorynew. Feel free to pm me if interested.

Daft
10-04-2005, 08:03 AM
You have two options on the projectors:

1. Buy a pair of D2S type projectors (just the metal projector assemblies, not the whole headlight) on Ebay or from a salvage yard (from a B5 A4/S4) and swap them for your current projector assemblies.

2. Buy a pair of metal adapter rings to install D2S bulbs into your H7 projectors.

I like option #1 better because you end up with a true D2S bulb holder to put a real D2S bulb into. You have the same focal point for the bulb and reflector as an OEM setup in an A4/S4 etc... Then you can get an HID kit like ProtocolD's RS6 kit and off you go. The ballasts will require a little cutting and wiring but, both options will require this since you are retrofitting a ballast into a non-HID housing.

The metal adapter ring option is the budget minded path. You buy an HID kit like ProtocolD's RS6 kit and it comes with real Philips D2S bulbs/ballasts. Still a good option but, not as perfect as #1. Many people have said that the metal adapter rings provide more foreground lighting on the street than down the road due to the distance from the bulb's gas capsule to the reflector.

ProtocolD's kit: http://oemhid.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=28

How to install: http://oemhid.com/catalog/HowTo.html

The next item on the list are the fogs. Putting an HID kit into a fog light makes it absolutely useless in actual fog. They are only usable as a driving light in clear weather. The immense level of glare from the HID lighting system will reflect off of any fog near the road surface and just illuminate it. If you want your foglights to work to their fullest in actual fog, buy a pair of Philips Weathervision bulbs or a pair of yellow H7 bulbs to create contrast on the road surface during fog driving.

I would leave the sidemarker as an amber bulb mainly because you still have the fender lights and the rear turn signal bulbs that are still amber. You can however, disconnect the corner marker signal and only allow the corner light to blink when signaling. This will leave the front of the car nice and white until you have to make a turn. That will also keeps the cops off of you for having "non-allowable" bulb colors. I bought a set of LED corner lights that are completely clear until they are on. When the lights are off you can't even tell that there is a bulb in there. Plus, they blink very nicely since they are LEDs. You do have to add power resistors to make them blink at the right speed though.

RedRocket
10-04-2005, 08:16 AM
^^^ Couldn't have typed it better myself.

Disabling the corner light from lighting up with the ignition is a great and easy option and leaves your turn signal the right color.

blackboost
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
What if i buy s4 headlights ...

blackboost
10-04-2005, 01:54 PM
i really dont wanna retrofit anything ...pure PLUG n PLAY i like protocolds kit ... but i want 8000k-10000k thats the color im looking for .. i have someone already thats going to provide the kit for me.

Daft
10-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Trust me those wannabe 8,000,000K bulbs are not worth $.01

Just get regular 4300K OEM Philips bulbs. They'll be plenty blue.

quickglx
10-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I agree 150% with everything Daft said... I had both the h7 adapted and now the d2s type reflectors, and the h7s seemed slightly brighter right in front of you but the d2s provides more usable even light... Don't put HIDs in fogs unless you never plan to use them in the fog, and want to blind everyone when you turn them on. The stock fogs have enough glare already.... And don't wast your time with those 97,000k bulbs, they are junk. Period, don't think about it again. 4300k is plenty blue/ purple in the cutoff where it should be. I'd condone up to 6000k, 5k being the happiest medium between output and fancy color. My self I like the 4300 color just fine

blackboost
10-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Wow .. i never knew that ... can someone post some pictures of the low K HIDs... thats "plenty color" i want to see them.

blackboost
10-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I talked to some guy today he works for euro tuning or something like that ... they dont have a website ... but he said Im jus gonn Have 2 purchase the valeo xenon ecodes (550$) then the HID kit (between 200-260). [:(] better start $aving up. He said thats all i would need.

diegomatrix
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
anything above 6000k is bs...stop being rice.... buy the hid for it's performance, not the color!!! seriously...

blackboost
10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
how is that being rice .. ? im a little confused im sorry the last time i saw a ricer he didnt have 10k HID's

diegomatrix
10-05-2005, 05:03 AM
you might actually want to do some research on the topic first before you start doing the project......

here's a place to read up a bit on it
http://faqlight.carpassion.info

maybe after, you'll understand why i made that comment.

Daft
10-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Also, here's a really well written explination of the HID system and what to look for when buying one:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

Definately one of my favorite sites.

Hassmeister
10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
^^^Nice find Daft.