PDA

View Full Version : knock in rear after bilstein install

BarryT82
10-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I installed the bilstein shocks and struts over the weekend and now if I hit a bump there is a knock sound in the passenger side rear wheel well area. I pushed on the trunk and it made the sound a few times but I can't tell exactly what it is. Any ideas?

nramsey
10-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Loose bolt? That would be my guess. I'd raise the car and make sure all the bolts are torqued to spec. If they are, check to make sure nothing is binding up. You can use a hydraulic jack to compress the suspension on one side of the car by putting it under the lower control arm. Just be careful not to raise the car off the jackstands.

Skibos18T
10-03-2005, 07:09 PM
yea sounds like the bolt on the strut needs to be tightened ....

BarryT82
10-04-2005, 04:17 AM
I checked and everything is tight. I couldn't find anything that was remotely loose.

A4_2.8tuner
10-04-2005, 09:42 AM
i run neuspeed race/bilstein s4 sport shocks and they are very stiff, causing a knock type of noise when going over potholes and such...may just be a result of the stiff suspension taking a beating :o)

onemoremile
10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
it may be a bad swaybar link. i've had a similar knock from my right rear corner. i couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time. then, the day before a track event, i lifted the car and tried to adjust the rear sway bar. when i tried to loosen the links they were both siezed. they would, however, spin freely as a unit. time for a set of replacements.

bitterchild
10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
onemoremile, have you torn a rear sway link or do you have the neuspeed reinforcements?

Hassmeister
10-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by A4_2.8tuner
i run neuspeed race/bilstein s4 sport shocks and they are very stiff, causing a knock type of noise when going over potholes and such...may just be a result of the stiff suspension taking a beating :o)

^^^ Ditto. I have the Bilstien Sports and Audi Factory Sport Springs and mine make the sound goings over pot holes too. It's stiff back there now!

BarryT82
10-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Oh it's stiff, but it's much better than what I had. The factory shocks and struts had 97,600 miles on them. When I compressed the shocks they would decompress partially and at a veeerrrryyy slow rate. The struts on the other hand wouldn't decompress at all. I was ridin' on springs. It rode like a duece and a half (if you know what that is).

Hassmeister
10-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I went for a long time till I replaced all 4 of my shocks (110K). I should not have waited so long. What a big difference it made. The Bilsteins lowered my car another 1/4".
Can't imagine any lower - whew.

Before I replaced mine, the ruts in our roads would toss my car around. Now it's rock solid.

onemoremile
10-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
onemoremile, have you torn a rear sway link or do you have the neuspeed reinforcements?

H-sports front and rear. i've got the phat billet braces keeping the rear in place.

i was talking about the little end links that look kinda like ball joints. both are rusted solid and will probably have to be cut off.

flyinb501
10-04-2005, 04:31 PM
I have had the same problem since I had my shocks and springs installed. I'm to damn lazy to go back there and ask them about it though. Its been like 2-3 months!

BarryT82
10-05-2005, 08:22 AM
I think it raised mine up about an inch in the front.

98Black30V
10-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Same with me.... I had my H&R cup kit installed and it started making a squeaking/clunking noise over bumps and whatnot.... but my friend at Vdub installed for free and then ran into family issues so I would feel like a dick bringin it back bitching now.... I'll bring it to someone when I get some loot

BarryT82
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a common problem.