PDA

View Full Version : How can I diagnose seat heaters

RedRocket
10-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Sorry this is so damn long......

Hey guys. I have seat heaters in my car. They were working fine until recently when they stopped. Both left and right. This happened very very close to the time just after I installed my turbo timer....

The timer is connected to a wire on the vag plug, the 30A post, and a ground of course.

I installed the timer in my front console. I have a 97 and it's the A4 model with the 9 switches in the front.

From driver's to Passanger's.

1.Drivers Seat heater
2.Front fogs
3.Rear fogs
4.Reardefrost

5.Hazard

6.Blank
7.Blank
8.Blank
9.Passanger Seat heater

I had to relocate the passenger side seat heater in place of the front fog switch to make space for the turbo timer.

Left the front fog switch plugged in and pushed it in behind the colsole, hidden. (I don't have front fogs).

In the four blanks #6 - #9 I installed a shelf and the turbo timer.

Now both my seat heaters don't work.

They are both plugged in. Every switch on that panel is still plugged it.

The lights on the seat heater switches light up as if they are working.

The seats are still plugged in at the bottom.

Anyone up to this mistery?

nramsey
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Only thing I could suggest is checking the wiring using a test light or multimeter to make sure the switches are still getting/sending power correctly. Maybe a plug back there just got knocked slightly loose? Good luck

RedRocket
10-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by nramsey
Only thing I could suggest is checking the wiring using a test light or multimeter to make sure the switches are still getting/sending power correctly. Maybe a plug back there just got knocked slightly loose? Good luck

Thanks nramsey, I guess that'll be my first action. The seat heaters are lighting up, like the lights in the switches, I guess I'm gonna just have to check. It's gotta be something in the console, there's no way both seat heaters went at the same time.

BarryT82
10-04-2005, 07:50 AM
maybe a fuse also

RedRocket
10-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by BarryT82
maybe a fuse also

Ya, do you think it would be seperate fuses for the switches and the seats.

RedRocket
10-04-2005, 08:18 AM
I guess were all speculating....

Daft
10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
There is a 30A fuse that feeds the two heaters. It is the upper left corner fuse in the group of the larger fuses (number 24).

There is also a 5A fuse that connects to the passenger side adjustment switch. It is a micro fuse in the smaller fuse group (number 5).

I can email you the wiring PDF if you want.

RedRocket
10-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Daft
There is a 30A fuse that feeds the two heaters. It is the upper left corner fuse in the group of the larger fuses (number 24).

There is also a 5A fuse that connects to the passenger side adjustment switch. It is a micro fuse in the smaller fuse group (number 5).

I can email you the wiring PDF if you want.

Daft, I was leaning away from fuses, but now that I think of it, the switches and the actual seat heaters probably run off seperate circuts.

Thanks for the info, I got the diagrams and stuff to look up any further stuff about the fuses. You're a great help Daft.

And thanks to everyone else that posted [az]

RedRocket
10-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Well, it's not the Fuses. not the plugs in the bottom. It's got to be something in the switches. both systems failing a the same time is not likely. I don't think they are run in series.... Gonna test the switches.

Does anyone know how to test the outputs on the plugs at the bottom. I have a test light, and I am ok at electrical stuff, better at building than using one of those meter things, gotta learn sometime though....

Daft
10-06-2005, 11:32 AM
I know you said that you had the wiring diagram but, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

http://www.hostdub.com/albums/turbo90awd/seat_heaters.jpg

What about the line that feeds the switches comming from the 30A fuse? I'm talking about the red/white wire (ro/ws) for pin #4 of each switch.

Do you definately have 12+ at that wire?

RedRocket
10-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Daft,

I'm not sure what you mean by 12+ at that wire. I have not done any of that checking yet. I'm a bit of a noob at using multimeters, how would I test that line if thats what you are talking about?

I'm clueless [:)]

Daft
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Pop either of the heater switches out of the dash. Set your multimeter to voltage DC. Connect the balck lead on the meter to a ground spot (metal chassis part with no paint). Turn the key to the on position. Touch the red lead on the meter to the spot where the red/white wire enters the switch.

You should read close to 12 volts. If not, you heater switches aren't getting any power at all.

RedRocket
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
ok, but the heater switches light up. They come on like they normally should. Does that rule out this test? thanks Daft.

RedRocket
11-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Still havn't figured it out.

There is power going to the red leads at the backs of the switches cause my test light comes on. All the fuses are good, My test light does not come on for any of the leads on the plugs that go to the seats...

I feel really stuck.