PDA

View Full Version : suspension clunk?

A4_2.8tuner
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
i have a clunking kind of sound coming from my front passenger side wheel well, noticed it more this past weekend when i was driving on the horrible Seattle roads. Almost sounds like something is loose when going over bumps and stuff...anyone have any idea what it may be or what i should check for? the control arms on the car are fine...so are there any other possibilities? i'm running neuspeed race/bilstein sport struts.

MikekiM
10-03-2005, 08:51 AM
How do you know your control arms are still good?

Has anything been changed recently in the front? Are the springs/shocks newly installed?

Clunking usually is either the upper shock nut on top of the bushing being loose, or control arm bushings, or ball joints.

A4_2.8tuner
10-03-2005, 09:00 AM
i know the control arms are good because i've had them looked at. i think it MAY be the upper shock nut...at least thats what i hope it is...i really dont feel like dumping MORE money into this thing.

MikekiM
10-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Not all control arm problems are immediately visible.
I've seen one arm where the bushing was very slightly separated from the arm, and shifted 1/4" within the arm. It wasn't obvious upon inspection since the bushing was perfectly in tact.

blacka41point8t
10-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Control arms...or maybe some of the suspension components are just hitting together.

BarryT82
10-03-2005, 05:32 PM
If it's the strut mount it's a pain in the ass to change. I just put my new shocks and struts on this past weekend. It's a whore to take the strut off. I have to change the strut bearing on the jetta this week too.

A4_2.8tuner
10-03-2005, 08:49 PM
yeah i have taken it off a few times...its a chore thats for sure. but i'd rather it be that then a control arm or tie rod end...dont feel like spendin more money

derek2079
10-04-2005, 02:04 AM
how many miles are on the car, have the control arms been replaced yet?

i am hearing a clunking type sound from my front drivers side when first taking off the line and going over small bumps when accelerating

A4_2.8tuner
10-04-2005, 06:21 AM
81k on the car and they havent been replaced yet. so theres really no sure-fire way to tell if its the control arms or not? i hate guessing games ah!

derek2079
10-04-2005, 06:24 AM
take a look at it it could be somthing control arm related there are lots of parts to involved in the control arm

A4_2.8tuner
10-04-2005, 09:41 AM
just had my mechanic look at it...looks like the tie rod ends are shot, so he is having some shipped out and the problem should be taken care of tomorrow. i'm sick of dumping money into this haha. oh well though, i guess it'll be nice to have it back to normal again.

audi_a4_kid
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
thats what I called...

A4_2.8tuner
10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by audi_a4_kid
thats what I called...
well you're just the man now arent ya? [:D] [hail]

Daft
10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
We'll see......

Tie rod ends do wear out but, the ball joints on the control arms are the cause of the clunking noises over bumpy roads at slow speeds.

You can't really gather the wear of the ball joint by just looking at it. You need to pop it off of the wheel bearing housing and see how easily it pivots. My car was clunking horribly by 80K miles and when I removed all of my control arms, the ball joints flopped around like a bobble-head figure. Not one ball joint boot was torn.

A4_2.8tuner
10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
well since he diagnosed that its the tie rod ends and if he replaces them and thats not the cause then what? i have to pay for the new tie rod ends AND control arms? how lame... pretty sure its the tie rod ends though, there is ALOT of play in them, and i am able to feel it in the steering.

Daft
10-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Usually when the tie rod ends wear out, you will have to move the ball joint in the tie rod end all the way over to it's stop point before it will start pivoting the wheel bearing housing. So if they were really shot, you would have alot of extra play in the steering. In addition the clucnking would happen more when turning the wheel at a stop (parking and whatnot) since you are putting full force against the ball joint in the tie rod end.

I'm hoping that your guy is right just for cost purposes but, based on the way the B5 A4 community goes though control arms and the way you've described the noises and their timing, I'm pretty sure you'll get new tie rod ends and still have the clunking.

A4_2.8tuner
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
there is alot of extra play in the steering, and when going over the bumps, when the clunk hits, it IS felt in the steering wheel. the guy seems to know what he's doing, so i hope he's right as well...he seemed pretty positive that thats what was causing it

kris_tdi
10-05-2005, 05:23 AM
upper shock nut, mine does the same, its a job i got to sort this weekend.

A4_2.8tuner
10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
well we replaced the tie rod ends...still clunking, but the steering is much tighter as the tie rod ends needed to be replaced anyways...got an appt. at the stealership on friday for the control arm recall to see if thats it, and they're gonna check out the upper links while they're in there as well...i just wanna get this taken care of, because its like a pain in my @$$

derek2079
10-05-2005, 03:34 PM
keep me updated because i hear the same noise from my drivers front

A4_2.8tuner
10-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by derek2079
keep me updated because i hear the same noise from my drivers front
will do! just sucks with suspension because its pretty much a guessing game...good thing is, is we're runnin out of possibilities, so we're bound to come across what it is

HIERLEVELZ
10-29-2007, 09:33 AM
so what did the dealer say about the noise?

black00A4
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
There's a control arm recall???

A4_2.8tuner
10-29-2007, 07:09 PM
so what did the dealer say about the noise?

wow...this is such an old thread of mine haha. the dealership couldnt figure it out, so i took things into my own hands. it wasnt any of the control arms. it ended up being the upper strut mount bushing (rubber donut shaped piece on the top of the strut housing). Replaced that, and it went away.[up]

HIERLEVELZ
10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
wow...this is such an old thread of mine haha. the dealership couldnt figure it out, so i took things into my own hands. it wasnt any of the control arms. it ended up being the upper strut mount bushing (rubber donut shaped piece on the top of the strut housing). Replaced that, and it went away.[up]

What condition was the strut mount in? I looked at mine today and it "appeared" to be fine. Although i do have cracked bushings on my upper ctrl arms.

Vreihenmotor6
10-30-2007, 12:11 PM

Thats what was wrong with my car, I swapped those out and the "clunk of death" went away

HIERLEVELZ
10-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Thats what was wrong with my car, I swapped those out and the "clunk of death" went away

Good to know...i'm going to order some new ones and see if it helps, if not then ill move on to the more expensive control arms.

woofster
10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Nice thread revival. I've been getting a minor clunk on the front passenger side only going over bumps at slow speeds too. Good thing I came across this thread, I'll have to examine the upper strut mount bushings now.

dougyfresh
12-03-2007, 08:19 AM

So, You swapped the control arms out to elminate the noise? What did you replace them with? A friend of mine with a '98 1.8TQ (sport suspension) is looking to replace his with something better than stock.