PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp Guage stopped working

venomaudi
10-03-2005, 07:53 AM
My Guage has been wigging out on me for the past 2 months now i think it went dead. On the way to work this morning it did not move at all from the 150 mark. So i think it died on me. So anyways i was searching and found that its probably my sensor. So when i call Autozone or Checkers what part should I buy, cause Autozone doesnt show a oil temp sensor for my car. 2000 A4 1.8tqm. And i take it i need to put the teflon white tape around the threads too huh? All i need is the part number or name. Oh yea, All the guy at Autozone said he had was an Oil Pressure Sensor for $12.99, Is that what i need?

blacka4
10-03-2005, 08:48 AM
no you will not need a pressure sensor...best bet to check with ECS or Matrix for the parts...and chances are they will be able to get one for you..but if not there is always the stealership

RedRocket
10-03-2005, 08:54 AM
I had the same problem except the temp sensor goes to 180C + all the time. i hate it. Changed the sensor and still no diff.

My problem is in the cluster. I hear you may have to take it out, and put it back it to diagnose it aganst lose connections or whatever. One guy here said taking it out and putting it back in (hehe) fixed the problem.

venomaudi
10-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Then what parts do i need?

RedRocket
10-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by venomaudi
Then what parts do i need?

If it's the same problem I have and you just want to throw a new part at it, you will need a new cluster. BIG $$$$$

Neo1130
10-03-2005, 01:28 PM
I would get one from the dealer... Had to change one out and they were cheaper than any other place I could find which is suprising!! [eek] And also, DO NOT USE WHITE teflon tape... Go out and buy some yellow stuff... White will start to eventually leak since it is not made for oils/fuels or anything... Yellow is...

RedRocket
10-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Humm, I used no tape at all on my oil temp sensor....hope that's not bad.

Has not leaked yet, (1 month)

Neo1130
10-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, actually let me correct myself... If it has a crush washer and you torque it to spec, it should not leak, but if there is no crush washer, I would use the yellow...

RedRocket
10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Humm, interesting.... I can't remember if I had a crushwasher, I think I did...

nramsey
10-03-2005, 06:25 PM
My oil temp/oil level sensor went out on my car about a month ago. My car has the info display and it cause the message "Oil Sensor" to come up. I have the AWM engine so my oil temp/level sensor is all together and is mounted to the bottom of the oil pan using 3 allen screws and a rubber gasket. I think some of the earlier engines had the temp sensor on the oil filter bracket using a normal screw in type sensor. New OEM one from www.germanautoparts.com was like $65 which was like $20 less than I found elsewhere.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/image/B009656672069809J416