PDA

View Full Version : 3,000 mile road trip check-list

almosttherefmry
07-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Am I missing anything? 26 hour drive, minimal stops

(3) Wheel bearings

Clutch, Flywheel

Oil Change (Liquid Moly.. holy crap that stuff is amazing)

Spark Plugs, AirFilters

Battery (meh)

Tires / Alignment

Dashcam / Valentine 1

Full spare tire, an extra bottle of oil, Jack, Bottle of distilled water, AAA and Allstate roadside help card

SunPass (tolls from NC to Florida)
EZPass (Massachusetts to NC)

Phone, obviously.

redline380
07-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Dashcam / Valentine 1

Great thinking!

I'd check and bring coolant with me. Bring plenty of tools, or AAA, or both. Make sure you have a full size spare.

Nowadays, checklists aren't that big of a deal since we all have cell phones. But I believe it is prudent to do as you are

R490
07-17-2015, 04:23 PM
As redline said, don't forget the tools!

I'd say make sure to bring a GPS also, that's always nice.

Turbo_B5
07-17-2015, 04:56 PM
I would also take coolant with me.

what i have in my car at any given time:
3L Premixed coolant
5L g13 Consaintrate
Extra oil from previous oilchange
Spray detailer
Toolbox of most common tools/sockets. Could probs tear apart the whole car with it.
Torque wrench w/ 17mm set to 89ftlbs.

What i would add/check for a roadtrip:
Get a full size spare like readline said if you can. or at the very least a 12v compressor
Windshield wiper fluid
wiper blades
jug of water
valve cover gasket
brake fluid
paper towel to check oil lvl
the front control arms

bhusted
07-17-2015, 05:00 PM
I carry spare coil packs with me. It seems that because I carry them, they fail much less frequently...

OverSpun
07-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Great thinking!

I'd check and bring coolant with me. Bring plenty of tools, or AAA, or both. Make sure you have a full size spare.

Nowadays, checklists aren't that big of a deal since we all have cell phones. But I believe it is prudent to do as you are

I agree on all points. I always bring a toolkit for a long trip to be safe. I did a 1k trip last year.

1. I also suggest carrying a small tire pressure tester. I always have one in the glove box since our old cars don't have TPMS.

2. bring at least a couple spare coilpacks!! I carry a spare in my car to be safe. You won't ever find a spare coilpack in the middle of nowhere.

Turbo_B5
07-17-2015, 05:04 PM
all you rich people with spare coil packs. I would if I could

forgot to add tire pressure gauge

Turbo_B5
07-17-2015, 05:13 PM
Another thing I carry is an obd2 scanner.

What is the info on the car? got an ICM?

OverSpun
07-17-2015, 05:17 PM
all you rich people with spare coil packs. I would if I could

forgot to add tire pressure gauge

rich?...[>_<] A couple coilpacks cost less than a tank of gas. [:)]

I have an extra full set w/ ~5k on them in my garage if the OP is interested. (http://www.audizine.com/forum/classifieds.php?listing=4-coil-packs-06a905115d-146498)

Turbo_B5
07-17-2015, 05:18 PM
I rather buy gas then a spare coilpack :P #budget lyfe

redline380
07-17-2015, 05:20 PM
I have four AWM (four wire) coil packs anyone can have, but OP gets first crack.

I run FSI coils in my sedan, and I have a spare set of FSI coils that will go into my Avant eventually

almosttherefmry
07-17-2015, 05:26 PM
ATW, thank you though :)

and about the coil packs... yall must be rich or something!

almosttherefmry
07-17-2015, 05:28 PM
@King_ - ATW?

OverSpun
07-17-2015, 05:52 PM
I rather buy gas then a spare coilpack :P #budget lyfe

ROFL. You'll need both eventually. [:p]

For OP,

VAG-COM. Definitely carry one for a long trip.

Turbo_B5
07-17-2015, 05:54 PM
i have new fsi coilpacks as of lastyear.

Turbo_B5
07-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Only AEB have an icm. your good.

B5A4coastie
07-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Torque wrench w/ 17mm set to 89ftlbs.

You should have the torque wrench set to zero unless you're using it. There are springs in torque wrenches that will stay compressed if you store them with tension set, then you wouldn't get a correct torque out of it anymore.

I made the trip back to and from the West coast twice, I second and third the Valentine 1. I have a hard time keeping under 80MPH on road trips....

b5a4erik
07-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Food and drink (water), music if not on your phone, and a car phone charger.

almosttherefmry
07-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Already have a triple usb car charger (2 phones + whatever), extra micro usb cords, extra fuses, Spotify Premium :)

walky_talky20
07-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Flashlight and a couple road flares in case of a break down in the dark.

If you're over 150k and on the original fuel pump, it isn't a bad idea to carry one of those around with you. They like to die before 200k miles.

2 spare coil packs minimum (a second one always seems to fail mere moments after the first).

A rubber band, in case your headlight switch dies and you need to keep the Flash-To-Pass pinned ON.

seanj130
07-20-2015, 01:11 PM
May I just ask, why not just fly? Seems like all the money that is going into prepping the car, it would be easier..

- If not, bring an extra rear coolant flange. That is the part that is most likely to break, and will leave you on the side of the road the fastest. Should only be $20 or so.
- Would not hurt to bring a tire plug kit, easy to do, cost less than $5 and can save you from a shop doing it, or if a shop is not open. I personally would not trust a spare on a car 15 years old.
- Enough spare fuses.
- A cheap walmart tire inflator that also doubles as an LED light. (Mine works great)

BTW, don't listen to @walky_talky20, he's not even a mechanic.

I've been a dissapearing act lately. Just needed to add a couple of things

walky_talky20
07-20-2015, 01:53 PM
- If not, bring an extra rear coolant flange. That is the part that is most likely to break, and will leave you on the side of the road the fastest. Should only be $20 or so.

True story, a B6 1.8T just rolled into the shop with a broken flange. They completely ignored all overheat warnings and gauges and drove it until even the coolant cap was melted. Cracked and warped the head so bad it needs a new one. $20 part is now a $2,000 bill.

BTW, don't listen to @walky_talky20, he's not even a mechanic.

So true. I mean, the mods should really put a mandatory disclaimer at the bottom of his posts or something. What a tool, that guy.

seanj130
07-20-2015, 02:00 PM
LOL, you still got it..

I really just wanted to chime in about the coolant flange though. The part about flying is nonsense.

I trust that all is well with you, Walky. I'll be back on over the course of the next year, asking the same dumb questions that I asked years ago.

Oh yea. I still have the B5. It is about to go into a lifetime (until I finish the process) of storage and restoration. I have a stock pile of parts, and it should be a fun unicorn in 20 years.

Sad, I know. But, the whole car needs to be stripped down, cleaned out, and done right. You know, something that I could not afford to do the first time.

True story, a B6 1.8T just rolled into the shop with a broken flange. They completely ignored all overheat warnings and gauges and drove it until even the coolant cap was melted. Cracked and warped the head so bad it needs a new one. $20 part is now a $2,000 bill.
So true. I mean, the mods should really put a disclaimer at the bottom of his posts or something, if he's going to just spout crap, made-up information everywhere. What a tool, that guy.

grifrowl
07-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Don't forget a 2 inch receiver to tow the parts car behind you.

OverSpun
07-20-2015, 02:38 PM

So true. I mean, the mods should really put a mandatory disclaimer at the bottom of his posts or something. What a tool, that guy.

At this point, OP may as well bring a spare 1.8t motor? [>_<]

Seerlah
07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Last time i did a ny to fl drive i picked up a rental. Just saying. And after gas, wish i flew and picked up a rental there. If i were to do it again...i wouldnt. I would either do the afore mentioned or pay for the car train in dc to fl. Most likely just fly.

Wrath And Tears
07-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Just want to chime in flying is almost always cheaper, and is always faster. I fly from CA to PA every 3 months or so to visit my wife who is in Grad School. I buy my ticket 3 weeks in advance and even flying from SFO to the tiny airport in Erie, PA only spend about $400 (Gas prices might be cheaper where you are but a 3000 mile round trip would cost over $400 in gas here in CA.

As far as driving goes I used to do about 600 miles every weekend before things settled down, so I was averaging like 5k per month. I pay money for roadside assistance and you better bet your ass I would use it instead of spending additional money on additional parts which may or may not actually come in handy, plus as a mechanic who wrenches 40 hours a week you would have to pay me to work on my own car on the side of the road versus waiting for tow truck (I'm a spoiled baby, some of you who aren't actual techs, are far better then I am because you can do all the same work with out a lift).

That being said I drove the same route. I knew where everything and anything was on the route. I could have done it with my eyes close (not really). So almost all of this is my own experience dealing withing my own comfort levels. As a former boy scout I believe following the mottom"Always be prepared" is the right way to live life and you seem to be doing a great job so far. My always be prepared for trips is bringing a cellphone and paying attention to call boxes. I also just keep my car in extremely good mechanical condition due to the fact I get really good discounts on parts, and the fact it has body imperfections that make me want to curl up in a ball and cry. So I do what I can about the other stuff.

seanj130
07-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Lol. The only things he needs, which he will need for the road trip or even beyond, is:
- A coil pack or two
- Tire plugs
- Rear coolant flange
- Tire inflator and a couple of tool. Those are the real likely things that could leave him on the side of the road.

I already told him to fly.. You can get mid size rentals for $25 a day.. Unless he is under 25.

Don't forget a 2 inch receiver to tow the parts car behind you.