PDA

View Full Version : recommended first fixes for my new 99.5

~guy
10-01-2005, 04:56 PM
well i just got a 99.5 1.8TQ with 109k miles and since im just about the world's biggest car noob, i didn't check out much in the engine, just saw that everything was functional and non-leaking. From what i know it's still on the original water pump and timing belt, which i would think should be the first things i should get done.

If you guys could point me in the right direction as to what things i should get done like in order it would be helpfull.

If you could include prices that'd be awesome.

Thanks. [a4]

blacka41point8t
10-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Your deff. going to want to do the timing belt ASAP. www.ecstuning.com and get the ultimate timing belt kit it comes with everything necessary for the job. check your brakes and rotors. change plugs, air filter, if it hasnt had synthetic i'd switch over asap. if your suspension creaks might want to replace your control arms. upgrade to a 710n diverter valve off the audi tt. you can get that at ecs also. check all your vac lines for boost leaks. transmission fluid. redline mt90. rear differential fluid. that about does it...feel free to chime in guys...

Neo1130
10-01-2005, 05:52 PM
If you need the 710N DV, I got one for $15 shipped...

Yuikio
10-01-2005, 08:48 PM
HOly shit. Do NOT drive it until you do the timing belt. If the tensioner breaks, and it is probably about to, you can say goodbye to all your valves, maybe your cylinder heads. Yeah, check out ECS tuning. I got my complete timing belt from MJM motorsports for 239.95 but they were having a sale. It should cost about 280 to 300 dollars.

Rosati
10-02-2005, 09:53 AM
^^yeah plus installation

Change that oil over asap (sludge issue)

drive her easy until the tb is done good luck!

.:AJ:.
10-02-2005, 11:14 AM
why do you need to upgrade the diverter valve?

scooter44
10-02-2005, 11:42 AM
yea, haha, i was gonna say that. stock diverter valve is fine. Check the control arms, and clutch. I woudlnt take it to the dealership becuase they are going to charge you an arm and a leg for all of that, find a reputable local shop. you can save a lot of money.

congrats on your buy. and welcome to the ZINE!!

blacka41point8t
10-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Why would you upgrade it? Because its most likely shot. I will put money on it that it is. The stock dv's SUCK!!! And why not put the tt diverter in?

audisnapr
10-04-2005, 02:15 PM
whoa there guys! Ease up. A list of priorities might be the best approach for a new audi owner.

~guy... before you get overwhelmed with all of these things you "have" to fix - first thing is first. Find out if the t-belt has already been changed. See if you can do some investigative work through who ever you got the car from. If it was maintained, they probably changed it somewhere in the 70-90K range. If not, that should be your first order of business.

Take the comments above as suggested items. You don't have to do them all at once. Don't run out and buy new control arms, brakes, etc.

Once the t-belt has been taken care of, have the shop look at the rest of the items on your list. Obviously, not a bad idea to have them change the oil with synthetic. I'm sure they most likely will see any bad vacuum lines while they are in the engine bay. Ask them to look at your front suspension, control arms, etc. Tell them to do a test drive and check the clutch for you.

Also, while you are there, make sure to tell them to check your VIN number for any Audi authorized repairs. In some cases, your control arms, engine sludge and things like that will be fixed under certain terms/warranty.

Take it one step at a time.

eisman
10-04-2005, 06:59 PM
1st thing I did was call Audi customer service (800-822-2834) and ask who the origional dealer was. Then got the dealer to give me the last year or so of main that was done on the car. I then called my local Audi stealership and got them to look up the warranty repairs that were done and any open campaigns on the car. Found out that my car had the timing belt done at 60k and has been in the shop for oil changes EVERY 5k miles. New breaks and tires 3 months before I bought it, I was happy.

Timing belt campaign should be open to have it inspected. Audi will pay for 1 hour labor, you'll have to foot the rest of the bill if you want replaced.

~guy
10-04-2005, 08:15 PM
alrighty, i should be picking the car up tomorrow if not the say after, ill be sure to check the belt out and if it's the original I'll get it done first thing, thanks a lot guys.

bitterchild
10-04-2005, 08:24 PM
what can't anyone spell "brakes" correctly?