PDA

View Full Version : Problem Solved - Rear-End Squeak

The Fat Kid
07-13-2015, 05:33 AM
The rear end on my 2015 was emitting a squeak/chirp, which was primarily heard when driving at low speeds and hitting ANY road imperfection. The noise was worst after a streak of hot/dry days, and then would almost disappear immediately after rain.

I finally had a chance to take the car in just before the 4th of July, so it has been over a week and the squeak is gone. The SA told me they "reinstalled" the rear sway bar, but was not able to elaborate as per whether it had been too tight/loose, or if it just needed to be lubed.

I was also experiencing an occasional 1-2 shift "clunk" when accelerating hard with heavy stuff in the trunk. It has not happened in the last week (but I have not had heavy stuff in the trunk), so the RSB might have also been causing that issue.

jsh139
07-13-2015, 06:23 AM
Stock or modified sways? Sway bar bushings can definitely squeak if not lubed. Or, maybe you just had a mouse back there? [:D]

The Fat Kid
07-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Stock or modified sways? Sway bar bushings can definitely squeak if not lubed. Or, maybe you just had a mouse back there? [:D]

The squeak was on a completely stock S4. There is a possibility it was already squeaking a little when we drove it off the lot (~20 miles on the odometer), but it was cold in March, so the windows were up, stereo on, etc. I was also thinking that they just lubed it, but the weird 1-2 shift clunk is also gone, which is why I think it might have also been too tight/loose.

No mice in the car [:)]