PDA

View Full Version : Broken Coolant Flange - Can a I use AEB one? i'm AWM

petery11
10-01-2005, 05:55 AM
edit delete
Hey Guys,

Installed my evo phenolic spacer last night, and I guess the write up i followed didn't include the fact that I needed to unbolt the coolant flange at the back of the engine that holds in the coolant temp sensor. So that piece of plastic broke and is slowly leaking coolant.

I went to the dealer today to order a part and they said that the one for AWM (2001) p/n 058 121 132 A was $20.70.

The one for the AEB p/n 058 121 132 is 7.00.

Has anyone looked at both the parts? Is there a difference between the two. Could i get away with the AEB part granted I make sure I run the correct green coolant sensor?

Or anyone know any online places that would have it in stock?

k0mpresd
10-01-2005, 06:45 AM
yes, you can use the one for the aeb motor

you will have to buy a plug, clip, and another seal though plus the actual flange and seal for the temp sensor

the aeb one has 2 ports and your A part # only has 1

still come out cheaper buying the AEB flange plus the other little parts

flange: 058 121 132
coolant temp sensor: 059 919 501A
seal: N 903 168 02 ..you will need 2 of those
clip: 037 121 142 (i think)
and i forget the plug part #..it should be right next to that clip on the shelf in the parts department

hope this helps [wrench]

petery11
10-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks!

Saving me a good 20 bucks or so.

Just wondering if i need 2 clips? I for the temp sensor and 1 for the plug?

I spoke to the local parts guy and he said he is gonna order

Flange

2 small o-ring seals - 1 for the temp sensor, 1 for the plug
1 Larger oring- for coolant pipe

2 Clips (sensor and plug)

1 coolant sensor (green)

make sense?
thanks again

k0mpresd
10-01-2005, 08:00 AM
sounds right

i re-used the larger o-ring for the coolant pipe though..might save you a few bucks

the dealer should have all that stuff in stock

petery11
10-01-2005, 10:42 AM
kOmpresd,

How was it to change it out?
I was taking a look at my engine bay and it seems tight back there. Can u pull up those fuel lines that run above the back of the engine to get more room.

Someone said that I might have to pull off my valve cover gasket. Is that really necessary?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand how to do the swap.

Thanks

k0mpresd
10-01-2005, 04:30 PM
i changed mine out when i had the intake manifold off

main reason i did it like that..i broke it taking the intake off..

no reason to remove your valve cover or any fuel lines though, its 2 bolts on the cyl head and 2 bolts holding the upper radiator hose on..just dont drop any bolts down behind the motor [headbang]

its not too bad but it is sort of a pain to get to..just take your time w/ it and youll be fine

oh yea..make sure you get a gallon of G12..youll need that cuz youll lose some coolant when you remove that upper hose and make sure to do the swap when your engine is cold otherwise you might burn your hand..not good [down]

petery11
10-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Parts won't be in for 2 days, I was wondering if anyone knew the reason why they switched the design to one flange. Because it made sense, OR will I have a clearance issue with the 2 port flange. I was looking and it is tight back there but the extra port shouldn't hit anything I hope

k0mpresd
10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
no clearance issues, its the exact same part w/ just 1 more port

and they didnt drop the 1 port for the 2, vw still makes both it just lists the 2 port flange for most applications

comes out cheaper w/ the 2 port flange and the other parts over buying the A part # (1 port)

petery11
10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Gotcha,

My only concern was that in place of that extra port on the AWM, there was something like a piping or something blocking the area that would not allow the extra port.

I was looking and feeling around that area, and it's tight, so i'm not positive if the extra port will get caugt up on something.

Anyone ever try it out ?

k0mpresd
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
youll be fine

i have the double port on my atw

theres plenty of room back there for the coolant flange

boostedfun
10-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Changed mine on a AEB motor and took about 10 minutes.

goldenchild
10-03-2005, 02:46 PM
did u see any gains from that spacer

petery11
10-03-2005, 03:57 PM
No Clue yet, havn't driven the car cause the coolant leak.

I'm gonna be able to see this weekend. I've read numerous reviews on other forums doing Vag logs showing a pretty decent improvement for a 75$ part.