PDA

View Full Version : opinions on racing seats

OutkastSL
09-30-2005, 08:45 AM
ok, here's my issue, i want some recaro srd or sport seats in black leather but my interior is santorin with the grey interior. will this look too weird? i want both front seats to be replaced. should i just do it and not worry about the color difference? or pass.

tia
steve

audisnapr
09-30-2005, 08:48 AM
personally, I think it looks "OK". Because they are "race" seats, they stand out anyway and will look aggressive.

If you were to get some OEM style seats in a different color, I don't think they would look very good. One would wonder why you didn't just get OEM style seats to match your interior.

Maybe consider getting a dark grey racing seat? Or even a blue?

94jedi
09-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by audisnapr
personally, I think it looks "OK". Because they are "race" seats, they stand out anyway and will look aggressive.

If you were to get some OEM style seats in a different color, I don't think they would look very good. One would wonder why you didn't just get OEM style seats to match your interior.

Maybe consider getting a dark grey racing seat? Or even a blue?

Joe, your seats are awesome...Post up some pics if you get a chance. I've sat in Sparco's, Recaro's, Bride's, etc and you're seats were right on par with those. My butt couldn't tell the difference![:D]

OutkastSL
09-30-2005, 09:12 AM
joe, i agree with your comment. they are race seats and stand out anyways. if i get them they'll definately be the recaro srd in black leather or the generic one that one of the b6's has in the b6 forum.

can you post pics of yours? which ones do you have?

audisnapr
09-30-2005, 09:17 AM
haven't taken any new pics of the seats, but here's that thread I started a while back - scroll down for the installed pics, or go to page one for the seats by themselves.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22864&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

OutkastSL
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
nice...i just read that whole thread. how is it holding up? can you give me a review of them now. those are the seats i want if i didn't go with the recaros. for that price, i'll just get those! where did you order it from?

mike-2ptzero
09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
If your going racing seats why buy adjustable ones? Unless your just looking for more support without dropping weight.

OutkastSL
09-30-2005, 10:34 AM
yep, more support, don't care too much about weight. plus i need it to be adjustable, i recline my seat so i can throw my wheelchair in the back, i'm paraplegic.

mike-2ptzero
09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by OutkastSL
yep, more support, don't care too much about weight. plus i need it to be adjustable, i recline my seat so i can throw my wheelchair in the back, i'm paraplegic.

I see. Guess a set of race seats with high side supports on the bottom part of the seat would make it harder for you to get in, most people find it hard to get in and out of my cobra race seats. Have you looked at the Top Spin seats? Here is a picture of the top spin racing seat.

http://www.topspindesign.com/TSD/images/sportseat/spec/Sport_layout.gif

link to their site (http://www.topspindesign.com/TSD/products/sportseat/sportseat.htm)

Top Spin Design products can be bought thru Pure Motorsports.

geeboyjibber
09-30-2005, 10:52 AM
I love my Recaro Speed, for 600 including brackets and sliders I couldnt ask for more. Mine is cloth and my stock interior is leatherette but I dont mind it not matching.

onemoremile
09-30-2005, 12:46 PM
my charcoal gray cloth cobra daytonas will be for sale soon. probably around 550 for both seats with brackets.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1174race_car_driving_lessons_1_small.jpg

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1174official_ROCK_ON_blessing_small.jpg

<edit> forgot to mention that each seat has a pair of levers to tilt them forward. it must be a coupe thing but i also found it very helpful for getting the rear facing infant seat in and out. finding a seat with this feature will make stashing your chair much easier than dialing the seat forward and back.

OutkastSL
09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
i've gotten in and out of cars with recaro's and it's not to bad for me. i'll deal with it. i love the cobra seats, just WAY out of my budget. the topline seats look nice but i wanted leather/pleather because of the durability. when i transfer in/out of the car, i'm constantly rubing my behind on the seat.

marked001
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
you're not gonna find anything below $550/pair though....?

OutkastSL
09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
the one that joe has is fine, i'm willing to pay that much.

Yuikio
09-30-2005, 06:02 PM
onemoremile, are those reclining? I'm interested. How soon might they be for sale?

audisnapr
10-01-2005, 06:23 AM
seats are holding up just fine. I think I posted the link to the website I got the seats from in that thread. The owner's name is Mark. Turned out to be a really good guy. He calls me every couple of months to follow up with me and see how the seats are holding up - asking for feedback, problems, suggestions, etc. We usually talk for a good 30-60 min. I spoke with him earlier in Aug. and told him that my passenger seat rattles a little bit when the seat is empty. He explained that although no one else has brought this to his attention that he was unhappy with the gearing in the reclining mechanism and told me he changed the design and the parts and that the new series of seats would be available first part of Sept. We both agreed, that the reclining mech. was probably the culprit. Anyway, since I was kind of his outlet to the audi community he told me I could send my seats back and that he would replace them with the newer series (we agreed it would be easier for me to drive to him). I'm not saying he will have that kind of customer service for everyone, but since I did the photos for him and have periodically posted good, but honest reviews about his product on AZ, I think he's willing to go the extra mile for me. My point being, he seems like a very stand-up guy. His product is aimed at guys like me that don't want/need a super expensive racing seat, but are looking for more support in the bolster areas.

Since I am such a track whore, I will likely someday move onto a much lighter, non-reclining seat that offers even more support like Mike suggested above. But for now, I am very happy with the product. The leather centers and pleather sides are holding up just fine. I have noticed that the outside lower bolster's cushion on the driver's seat is softening up a bit. It obviously takes the most abuse as I get in and out of the car. So outkast, that may be a consideration for you if you think you will be putting even greater stresses on that bolster.

onemoremile
10-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Yuikio
onemoremile, are those reclining? I'm interested. How soon might they be for sale?

they do recline just like the stock seats. they also have a lever to tilt them forward.

i may pull them out this weekend and put my stock seats back in. if i can get that done then they will be for sale immediately. i may see if i can find some upholstery dye and make them look like new again. in that case they will be another couple weeks and a bit more money.

OutkastSL
10-01-2005, 09:32 AM
one more mile....how's the fabric, is it waterproof and pretty thick? i might be interested in them if you sell them.

Rosati
10-01-2005, 09:40 AM
the only seats i liked were black recaros, but i still dont see a place for them on the B5

Yuikio
10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Just curious, why are you selling them? How comfortable are they for long trips/daily driving?

onemoremile
10-01-2005, 05:42 PM
OutkastSL-
they are cloth seats. they are not waterproof. the fabric is thick and durable.

Yuikio-
i'll be selling my seats and coilovers to free up some cash to help motivate me to finish my ongoing garage project. i have to finish insulating it, rewire the whole thing, install new windows, and do the new openers and doors. then i can install the gas mobil home furnace i scored for free! mmmmm, heated garage in michigan.

i'll replace the seats and suspension in the spring.

as far as comfort goes, they are better than the stock seats for long trips. i'm tall and thin (6'3" 185) and have had back pains for several years. these seats really did help. the shoulder boslters are great on long trips since i can kinda lean on them. if i could get one mounted on a decent base i would trade the aeron chair in my office for it.

a friend is 6' 0" and about 245 lbs. he's a body builder that benches in the low 400s. he has wide shoulders and bitched about the bolsters when i first installed them. now he doesn't even notice them.
my wife likes them too. she is also fairly tall and athletic and thought the stock sport seats got old after an hour in the car.

Yuikio
10-01-2005, 08:54 PM
That is great. I have back pains when I drive even two hours in the stock sport seats. I'm about 5'9 150, so short and skinny, but that is great to hear. That you would replace an 800 dollar office chair with one is encouraging.
Hopefully I can free up the funds. I've been looking into Sparcos or Recaros but they're too expensive.

bitterchild
10-01-2005, 09:59 PM
If anyone wants to split a pair...

Yuikio
10-02-2005, 09:13 PM
How low do they sit in the car? Compared to stock sport, which are height adjustable? I like to keep the seat pretty high. It makes me feel taller. And I like having visibility of the front corners; I have to parallel park every morning.

Bitter, I'd rather get both, but if I can't, I may be willing to go halvesies. I'm trying to decide as I write this. One seat is a poor racer, two seats is more money than one.

onemoremile
10-03-2005, 06:15 AM
That is great. I have back pains when I drive even two hours in the stock sport seats. I'm about 5'9 150, so short and skinny, but that is great to hear. That you would replace an 800 dollar office chair with one is encouraging.
Hopefully I can free up the funds. I've been looking into Sparcos or Recaros but they're too expensive.

my boss is 5'9 155 and he digs them. he and i both like them better than the stock seats in his S4.

i hear ya about the sparcos and recaros. they do get pricey quick. the nice thing about a set of used seats is that you can get an idea what you really want out of a seat without dropping a lot of coin. if you decide later that you want to upgrade you can sell the used ones for what you paid for them.

onemoremile
10-03-2005, 06:20 AM
How low do they sit in the car? Compared to stock sport, which are height adjustable? I like to keep the seat pretty high. It makes me feel taller. And I like having visibility of the front corners; I have to parallel park every morning.

Bitter, I'd rather get both, but if I can't, I may be willing to go halvesies. I'm trying to decide as I write this. One seat is a poor racer, two seats is more money than one.

height is about the same as stock. i drive with it all the way down. i just got in and raised it up and my head would have hit the moonroof if it hadn't been open. the headliner was even with where my hairline used to be. [:D]

Skippster86
10-03-2005, 06:42 AM
One seat is a poor racer

Half the people here would say out loud "thats me!"

good looking seats though, cobras are nice.

onemoremile
10-03-2005, 09:39 AM
i know of a nice deal if you only need one seat.

Sparco Torino for $250:
http://www.michiganvw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18026

Yuikio
10-03-2005, 10:15 AM
onemoremile, please let me know when the seats are for sale. Thanks.