PDA

View Full Version : SWEET! A subwoofer!

jaredpgh
09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
And its stock! I was paging through one of the quattroman .pdfs and saw an illustration of the Concert stereo in an Avant, and there it was. Cranked the stereo and put my hand where it should be, and sure enough, it was kickin'! I'll get some pics up later.

So now my question is, has anyone replaced the sub with something more high performance?

Skippster86
09-29-2005, 09:54 AM
When you stand 10 feet from the car and the sub changes your heartrate, then well talk...lol jk

Im sure its been done, what were you thinkin? how big is the sub?

jaredpgh
09-29-2005, 10:31 AM
its only 6" diameter or so, pretty tiny. im not even sure if any brands even make a sub that small.

Skippster86
09-29-2005, 10:54 AM
ditch it, get two 12''s in a custom fiberglass enclosure. haha.

6'' sub eh...man im hungry now.

MR VTEC
09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
6" sub LOL
that's why you couldn't tell there was one there to begin with

.aye four.
09-29-2005, 11:15 AM
If you wanna stick with the stock size you can use a Elemental Designs EU-700 driver. I've heard nothing but good things from this little driver. Puts out more sound then you would think from a speaker so small. It is a 6.5 but with an adapter im sure it will fit. I have a set of Elemental Designs subs in my car and I love them. Very high quality product with good support.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=15&pid=32&cur=USD

chadwix00
09-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by .aye four.
If you wanna stick with the stock size you can use a Elemental Designs EU-700 driver. I've heard nothing but good things from this little driver. Puts out more sound then you would think from a speaker so small. It is a 6.5 but with an adapter im sure it will fit. I have a set of Elemental Designs subs in my car and I love them. Very high quality product with good support.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=15&pid=32&cur=USD

Intrigued...so just to clarify, these will work in the stock locations with an adapter, and with the oem concert bose system? My rear deck speakers blew and I want something better but don't want to give up ANY trunk space nor do I want to replace the other speakers at the moment. Thanks!

MR VTEC
09-29-2005, 11:42 AM
that speaker replaces the subwoofer for avants in the stock location

.aye four.
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
well he said that the bose woofer was a 6inch so he would need to make an adapter to fit the 6.5 woofer. For your rear deck you would also need to make an adapter to fit the 4 point mounting holes cause the stock speaker has only 3 mounting points. Its really easy to make the adapter. Just trace the stock speaker shape onto a piece of wood and then trace the new speaker speaker cut out the shape so that it retains the old mounting points and the new points. Then cut circle out to fit the speaker into it.

The EU-700's would work in your rear deck as a mid-bass driver to give you alitte more low end reponse. While your front stage would give you your mids and highs. I used to not run rear deck speakers just a good set of front components and subs in the trunk. Rear deck speakers don't really do much but give your backseat passangers something to listen to lol.

chadwix00
09-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Ok cool. Thanks guys.

chadwix00
09-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by .aye four.

Rear deck speakers don't really do much but give your backseat passangers something to listen to lol.

[:(] Maybe I should just spring for a sub in the trunk then...I'll need to see if I have enough room now...my tennis bag takes up 2/3s of the trunk.

.aye four.
09-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by chadwix00
[:(] Maybe I should just spring for a sub in the trunk then...I'll need to see if I have enough room now...my tennis bag takes up 2/3s of the trunk.

With the EU-700's on your back deak you should be good without a sub unless you want pounding bass. The 700's will give you a good low end.

OutkastSL
09-29-2005, 11:38 PM
just make a custom fiberglass enclosure for one 10" sub in the pocket on the left of the trunk. i just bought mine from angryswede and it's awesome. it's out of the way and gives me just enough bass. i can get some pics if anyone is interested.

onemoremile
09-30-2005, 06:50 AM
i'd like to see some pics.

Hart Audio made excellent 5.25 and 6" subs back in the day. they needed some power but were perfect for small enclosures under the dash. combined with steep slopes and a real sub from 50hz and down, the effect was incredible.
on their own they probably wouldn't be worth the trouble. they just can't move enough air to take care of a car the size of an avant.

KompMan420
09-30-2005, 07:22 AM
I wouldn't recommend trying to tinker with a Bose system guys. They work on a totally different platform than a "normal" car stereo system. Biggest differences are in impedence levels and wiring (usually fiber optic). Pretty much rule of thumb, if you want to change something in your Bose system then you have to change everything in your Bose system.

Straight from Bose's site...

Can I add a new radio?
No. Each Bose automotive sound system is completely integrated, with the elements custom-engineered to work together as a whole. That's why the music sounds so rich and lifelike. To help achieve this sound quality, special circuits are built into the system, including the radio. If you install a new radio, you lose these circuits. This can result in decreased sound quality, incorrect bass and treble balance, distortion at high volumes, loss of bass at low volumes and in some cases, no audio output at all. In addition, changing the display, which is also known as a headunit, will void the warranty on your Bose sound system.

Can I add a subwoofer?
No. As noted above, each Bose automotive sound system is completely integrated, with the elements custom-engineered to work together as a whole. If you add a subwoofer to the system, its output is unlikely to be proportionate with that of speakers already in place. In most cases, adding a subwoofer will detract from—not enhance—the sound quality.

OutkastSL
09-30-2005, 10:35 AM
http://images7.fotki.com/v110/photos/1/130344/877943/subbox-vi.jpg

this picture is borrowed from angryswede. i'll have pictures of it in my car tonight.

OutkastSL
10-02-2005, 11:11 PM
heres a picture i took tonight

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/OutkastSL/100105%20photoshoot/DSC02482.jpg

onemoremile
10-03-2005, 08:06 AM
beautiful.

edwardlarsen
11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
dude, thats tight!

a4fann
11-15-2007, 01:49 AM
12" R type in a custom enclosure FTW.

It's in my garage BTW. It will do 136 Db's but 50lb's extra C'mon.

4ringAR
11-15-2007, 06:20 AM
the stock avant sub actually has some bump to it. its probably better than the sedan one because it is in a sealed enclosure.
i was playing some music one time and some guys asked me if i had a sub. i said, "yea, the stock one" haha

ct1.8t4me
11-15-2007, 06:41 AM
If you don't want to go too crazy with cost or customization get an 8" Bazooka. That's what I'm running and it's fine. It's not going to give you block-pounding bass, but it definitely adds a nice kick and it was less than $100. It takes up the space of about two of those big popcorn tins in your trunk. I am going to cut a small port in the rear deck to move some more air soon because the bass really thumps when one of the seats is folded down or the trunk is open.

Edit: Also includes it's own amplifier.

onemoremile
11-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Bazooka tubes are as bad as the stock sub for the same reason. Their frequency response curves are horrid. If you like one note to sound three times louder than the rest then get the zuka. I was a retailer for them and after installing a few I refused to stock them again and sent back my stock.

A good 8 or 10 inch sub in a sealed or ported enclosure with port tuning below 30hz will sound great. If you need more volume you need to displace more air either through stroke, diameter, or both.

onemoremile
11-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I've had the urge to do a full on system in the Avant but don't want to get into a spending spree. My plan is to move the Phatnoise and stock electronics to the spare tire well and tape off the interior panel where the stock woofer was. Then line with landscaping plastic and make a mold. I can do this by layering up a few trash bags and filling them with expanding foam. A large tube lets excess foam flow away to avoid bursting the bags. After this is cured it is stripped down and either fiberglasses, covered in carbon, or used to make a mold for production.

The end result would look like Outkast's but with probably double the enclosed volume.

a4fann
11-15-2007, 10:05 AM
get ahold of a BassBox trial or find someone who has it and build the perfect box yourself.

dieselgti
11-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Very much like the one posted above. The previous owner custom made it... It's a sweet setup!

http://linusolu.net/morepics/AudiAvant/tn/13469DSC01738.med.jpg

speedydragon
11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Very much like the one posted above. The previous owner custom made it... It's a sweet setup!

http://linusolu.net/morepics/AudiAvant/tn/13469DSC01738.med.jpg

Are you running that with the stock head unit?