PDA

View Full Version : Coilover install

lude2euroa4
09-28-2005, 04:41 PM
I just purchased, a set of FK Kongsport coilovers... since my car is in the garage and will be sitting there for about a week (waiting for a new ICM) i want to do my coilover install myself... so today for a good portion of the day, ive been searching AZ, which only has a b6 install, AW, which is hard as sh*t to understand (that forum has a bad setup) and audiforums.com and can not find for the love of god "B5 COILOVER INSTALL"

can someone direct me to a DIY or step by step thread on any site? im eager to do this, this weekend... anyone who can help i greatly appreciate it.

also... [az] [up] [up] [up] [up]

lude2euroa4
09-28-2005, 04:42 PM
oh yeah anybody in jersey, wanna come to my house and do it i got every tool you can think of and three air compressors if those are needed. will offer PIZZA and beverages

RAyala2.7T
09-28-2005, 04:48 PM
I used the coilover install how to on AW. Its pretty easy actually, just make sure you have a set of spring compressors on hand. Here's the write up.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

RAyala2.7T
09-28-2005, 04:52 PM
oh yeah, reading through it, you don't have to pry out those plugs. With some work you can work a socket on the upper strut bolts. It would be a lot easier/faster if you can get access to air tools also. Good luck. Suspension work is easy. You'll be just fine.

nramsey
09-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Just a note, you don't need to take the pinch bolt holding the two upper control arms out like some of the writeups say to. I installed coilovers on my car and Kruats 99.5 on on neither car did we have to remove those bolts or loosen any of the front control arms. All we had to do was remove the bolts for the front sway bar, swing it out of the way, turn the wheel to the opposite side of the car that we were working on (to the left when working on the right front and visa versa) then have someone stand on the front hub to extend the front suspension while the other guy pulls the bottom of the shock toward the outside then forward to free it from the car. Quick and easy, with no headache with seized bolts.

duffman13
09-28-2005, 06:38 PM
you can even do coilovers without a spring compressor, but its hard to adjust to a good height initially without one. I know from experience. Make sure you get your hands on an impact wrench to take apart the whole spring-shock apparatus though.

Starting
09-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I can do a quick write up cause I'm bored.
For the fronts
Put both sides of the front of the car on jack stands.
There are two techniques. One I have used in the past and one I have only heard about.
What I do is remove the two bolts at the top of the control arms and knock them out of the housing.
I have heard you can remove the caps in the engine and remove the two nuts that hold the shock/spring to the tophousing which the control arms are bolted to. If you do this then you don't need to mess with the control arms at all. This seems like the better thing but i have never done it because have only recently heard of it.
Remove the lower shock bolt and pry it with a screw driver and it will fall out and the spring/shock with just come right off the car.
At this point depending on what you did to get the shock out you may need to take the top housing that holds the control arms on or you may be at the step to compress the spring. Compress the spring to release the tension and then it is easiest to use an impact wrench to blast the top nut off. You need to use the top rubber peice on the new shock/spring. Put the new spring on the new shock and depending on the hieght you want you may or may not need to compress the spring. You may want to get new nuts because they are one time use with plastic in them. It is easiest to just blast the bolt on with the impact gun but you may need to put a socket on it and then put an allen through the socket to hold the shock from spinning. Then just reverse the steps.

Starting
09-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Wow do I have too much time on my hands.
For the rears:
Jack up the rear and put some painters tape along the top of the fender. Remove the lower shock mount bolt. Remove the maybe 4 bolts not sure that hold the top housing to the car. Then remove the upper knuckle arm bolt. Carefull cause the top control arms has some spring to it. Knock the shock out of the lower control arm and carefully work it out of the wheel well. The painters tape helps ensure you don't chip your paint. Compress the rear spring and remove the top bolt that goes through the shock. Put the new shock/spring on the housing and put the bolt through. You may need to compress the new spring. I found it easiest to work the newly assembled combo back into the wheel well and put the 4 bolts back in loosely. Then I move the lower part of the shock into position and put the bolt through. At this point I tighten the 4 bolts going into the housing and then work the top control arm bolt back in.

trailboss
09-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by duffman13
you can even do coilovers without a spring compressor, but its hard to adjust to a good height initially without one. I know from experience. Make sure you get your hands on an impact wrench to take apart the whole spring-shock apparatus though.

Not really, its kinda hard to do when you need to use the upper spring perch/seat off the original suspension. Therefore you compress the spring to relieve the tension on the upper spring seat and cap and remove it and install it on the coilover, unless FK coilovers come with it which i doubt.

Starting
09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Just a few more tips.
No matter what you decieded to do in the front do not touch the pinch bolt holding the lower part of the top control arms.
If you are unsure the height at which you set the coilovers guess higher instead of lower. It is always easier to lower the car then raise it.

trailboss
09-28-2005, 07:02 PM
A helpful hint if your working by yourself, when trying to install the upper control arms into there seat, they may want to pop out when trying to put the pinch bolt back in. You can use "C" clamps to hold the upper control arms in while you get the pinch bolt in and tightened a little.

duffman13
09-28-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm just saying that you can do the install without a spring compressor because i did when I installed mine. Yes it was harder, but it is doable

bitterchild
09-28-2005, 08:10 PM
dude, tone down that mod list. it's a whole page long... jeebus

nramsey
09-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Yeah, you don't need a spring compressor if you have a friend to help. We did 2 complete installs without one. When removing disassembling the stock spring/shocks from the top plates/mounts just set the assembly on the ground far away from your car and stand on the spring/top plate while you undo the shaft nut. The shock will release from the top plate and go less than a foot across the ground. Just adjust the coilovers lower so you don't need to compress the spring too much to get the top plate on the new assembly then adjust the coilovers higher. It's kinda tough but doable.

onemoremile
09-29-2005, 06:58 AM
just pick up a couple of extra top caps online or from the dealer. then you don't have to disassemble the old front struts at all. i think i paid 10 or 15 bucks each for them and they were well worth it. i pre-assembled the struts going in and it was a straightforward swap.

lude2euroa4
09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
thanks for the advice and thanks a lot for the tech thread, i should be allright, hopefully i should have rich (new car?) help me with this install. thanks for tips and advice.