PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: JHM Long Tube Headers - Gauging interest

dsgray16
06-01-2015, 08:40 PM
In the process of swapping a new engine into my S4. I will be switching to the mid-length headers with the thought being that they will work better with the ported intake and nitrous setup i am running.

Long tubes were installed a year ago at RS Worx in NJ. They will be doing the swap, so if you are local and need an instal shop.. im sure they would be happy to oblige.

Will include:

JHM Long Tube Headers (spec'ed out for auto trans, no sure on whether or not they can be easily modded to fit 6MT)
Race Cats
Heat wrap
Any clamps that were used to instal.
Designed to fit 2.5" cat back

Its my impression the long tube header design is better suited for otherwise relatively stock setups, but if anybody wants to chime in on that, feel free. Aside from huge gains in low-end torque, the sound these things create is amazing.. i can only hope the mid-length tubes come close! Plus these arent made anymore.. Hands down, the best mod you can do for a b6/b7 S4.

$2k, Firm, local only. They will be at RS Worx in Greenbrook NJ, and then back to my place in Brooklyn, NY. I also make frequent trips to RI, so i would be willing to meet somebody anywhere between Brooklyn and RI along 95.

Car goes in for the swap next week.. If anybody wants these, let me know.

I will send pics to any interested buyers when they get pulled from the car. They are only a year old, and half that year, the car wasnt even being driven (under car cover though). Not that headers are an aesthetic thing, but im sure they are still in great shape.

Depending on interest, i may ask for a deposit to secure these.

Pakalolo
06-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Nice man when u think it will be running. Glad u didn't let it die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCsniper
06-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Hopefully soon because I want those old headers asap!

dsgray16
06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Hah.. Yes, hopefully soon!

Apparently a lot of people must be ordering the mid length headers, because the estimated build time keeps getting extended by JHM. Should have the new ones in a couple weeks, and I am hoping to have the car back on the road in time for Waterfest.

Pakalolo
06-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Nice man hopefully see u there. Or at bear mountain mountain. Gonna check it out today for first time today

Squatteee
06-17-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm interested in your swap! Tell me more.... How easy was it to find another motor? What mods, etc?

dsgray16
06-18-2015, 08:03 AM
I'm interested in your swap! Tell me more.... How easy was it to find another motor? What mods, etc?

Took a while to find a motor. I used car-part.com, and must have called on a dozen different motors over the course of 3 to 4 months before I found the one I bought.

I found that a lot of places were selling partial motors, or motors that had been damaged. Seemed like they were fishing, or looking to part out.

Motor I found was being sold by a reputable engine re-ferb place in Denver. Came with a 90 day warranty.

The plan for Avant 2.0, will include measures to lower engine bay and intake temps.. Aux oil cooler, aux trans cooler, ceramic coated headers. And I will also be looking to decrease weight.. CF hood, may remove back seat and instal light weight front seats.

Mods that I'll be moving to the new engine include JHM ported intake and TB, JHM nitrous kit, mid length headers, no cats, and FI catback. Light weight crank pulley.

Plan to test engine compression and scope cylinder walls before running nitrous. Also plan to have the nitrous system run through.

Then I need to get some numbers! Want to hit the track and get some 1/4mile times.

Pakalolo
06-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Oh man I like this can't wait.

BCsniper
06-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Plan to test engine compression and scope cylinder walls before running nitrous. Also plan to have the nitrous system run through.

any word on the old motor? I've been stalking RSWorx pages waiting to see your car torn apart.

Any eta on when it will be?

dsgray16
06-18-2015, 07:28 PM
any word on the old motor? I've been stalking RSWorx pages waiting to see your car torn apart.

Any eta on when it will be?

I'll check in with JR tomorrow.

S4KEN
06-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Would you mind sharing the install price on the long tube headers? Looking to either do full headers or downpipes and was curious as to what the going rate is on a tip as i hear it is a bit more of an intense install. I usually do these types of things myself but this is my first euro and all the writeups make it look pretty scary so wondering if the dollar value vs the DIY time is worth it.

dsgray16
06-22-2015, 06:45 PM
I recommend doing it when you do a timing chain service, or vise versa... Look to spend between $1,200 and $2k in labor, depending on your shop.