PDA

View Full Version : Getting my control arms replaced tomorrow



derek2079
09-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Called up and told them i heard clunking and explained they were recalled they set me up an apt for tomorrow to comne in and have them looked at. Im hoping they dont ask for any service records because i do all my work myself. Car is at about 65k and they said it would be taken care of tomorrow. One thing i hope they dont mind is that im on coilovers, If they ask about them I will tell them that I recently put them on because my shocks were worn out.


Anyone have any advice for me?

BarryT82
09-26-2005, 11:15 PM
I don't know how the dealership is where you live, but here I have to take my car in for the same problem 3 or 4 times before they can figure out what the problem is. My car made the clunk sound, but they said everything was tight so there wasn't a problem.

bender
09-27-2005, 12:04 AM
are you sure they are not going to charge you $100 just for jacking up the car and find "nothings wrong" with the lower arms? and of course they'll porb tell you that all the uppers are shot and need replacement for an extra $800 bones.

derek2079
09-27-2005, 12:36 AM
i figure they will however i will still have them replace whatever they do under warrenty

A4Rob
09-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Mine are getting done next week. 105k on them.

derek2079
09-27-2005, 02:13 AM
you getting them done under the recall?

Daft
09-27-2005, 07:01 AM
The last time I asked about the control arm "recall" I was told that you must have a failed ball joint on any arm that is making noise. They will not replace a control arm to fix a squeaky inner bushing.

Typically, the ball joints all wear out eventually but, the key is having them flop around enough to get the service tech to replace them.

They will probably replace 1 or 2 arms and call it a day. There's almost a 0% chance of you getting all 8 control arms replaced.

98Black30V
09-27-2005, 08:32 AM
They required service records for mine.... I ended up doing a control arm kit anyway but since I am the third owner of the car and it had gone through auction before me, all the service records were impossible to obtain. But they told me Audi needs them in order to complete the service under recall. It's strange however since they don't require service records to complete the vacuum hose recall.

atwalker6
09-27-2005, 08:41 AM
my car is going in tommarow for the recal also but mine only has 38,000 on it....hoping everything goes well

MR VTEC
09-27-2005, 08:43 AM
better not hope you better pray!

Daft
09-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 98Black30V
They required service records for mine.... I ended up doing a control arm kit anyway but since I am the third owner of the car and it had gone through auction before me, all the service records were impossible to obtain. But they told me Audi needs them in order to complete the service under recall. It's strange however since they don't require service records to complete the vacuum hose recall.

That's quite interesting. My local dealership said that I didn't require any maintenance records at all.

The only item they said they needed records for was the oil sludge recall.

BarryT82
09-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I asked AoA about the recall and was told it doesn't cover 2001 models so if you have a 2001 I guess you're screwed.

derek2079
09-27-2005, 12:18 PM
So i take my car to the dealership and wait around for a while only to see that there are no recalls on my vehicle


kind of sucks, there is anything i can do please let me know

RedRocket
09-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Control arm recall has got to be the most inconsistent thing I have ever heard about.

Daft
09-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by derek2079

kind of sucks, there is anything i can do please let me know

Other than buying the kit and replacing them, there's no other option.

Besides, the kit is a better way to go anyhow. Why bother replacing one or two arms under recall just to end up paying for the other six or seven later on?

k0mpresd
09-27-2005, 12:38 PM
i think its one of the most useless recalls there is

lower control arms never fail

uppers fail all the time

and outer cv boots break/tear all the time and no recall on those either [headbang]

MR VTEC
09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
www.ecstuning.com is your friend

Daft
09-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by BarryT82
I asked AoA about the recall and was told it doesn't cover 2001 models so if you have a 2001 I guess you're screwed.

When I first learned that the early MY control arms had been revised, I also learned that the 2001+ cars had the newer control arms by default. The fact of the matter is that suspension parts wear out over several years. There is no avoiding it. The difference is when they wear out rapidly (like a year or two).

It sucks to have to buy $450 in replacement parts but, you can't expect Audi to replace worn suspension parts from cars that have been on the road for 5-8 years for free.

Daft
09-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
i think its one of the most useless recalls there is

lower control arms never fail

uppers fail all the time

and outer cv boots break/tear all the time and no recall on those either [headbang]

I've had the exact oposite experience with my car.

Never had one CV boot tear open yet (knocks on desk)
Lower control arms were shot.
Upper control arms were slightly worn.

k0mpresd
09-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Daft
It sucks to have to buy $450 in replacement parts but, you can't expect Audi to replace worn suspension parts from cars that have been on the road for 5-8 years for free.
yes we can [:D]

edit: my uppers are about done [=(]
lowers are fine [headbang]

Daft
09-27-2005, 12:59 PM
When you say that your lower control arms are fine, you mean that you've removed the ball joint end of the arms from the wheel bearing housing and checked the play in the ball joint?

The bushings in the lower arms get really noisy but, the ball joints are pretty much junk on all the arms after 80K miles.

qtek16
09-27-2005, 12:59 PM
yeah i have an exteneded warranty and they still screw it up, told them the left side was squeking, so they replaced some stuff on the right side, got atleast a front lower arm out of it for the right....and still 3 thousand miles later...bam the left is still squeaking.....how bout them apples

Daft
09-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Are you paying a deductable for each of these visits? I'd be pissed as hell.

A4Rob
09-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by derek2079
you getting them done under the recall?

No, those Fvckers at the dealer[mad] I brought my A4 in for the check, they told me it was torn, but not bad enough to replace under recall. They also told me it would need to be replaced in a few weeks because it will go all the way bad, but they can't just swap a new one in now. [headbang]

Daft
09-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by A4Rob
No, those Fvckers at the dealer[mad] I brought my A4 in for the check, they told me it was torn, but not bad enough to replace under recall. They also told me it would need to be replaced in a few weeks because it will go all the way bad, but they can't just swap a new one in now. [headbang]

WTF?!?! So there isn't enough tearing yet but, there will be in a week or two....[rolleyes]

So I guess you could just get an apointment for two weeks from now......[:D]

A4Rob
09-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes and I will have to pay. I guess the recall is only a check.

Daft
09-27-2005, 01:12 PM
There are two kinds of action which is based on your actual VIN#:

1. Check and Replace
2. Replace

If they type in your VIN and the computer tells them you are to receive the recall regardless of condition, you get action #2. Otherwise, you fall into the crowd that gets #1.

Back in January, I called up to ask about a few recalls and once they ran my VIN, I was told that I was entitled to new tie rod ends for free. It all depends on your VIN.

k0mpresd
09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Daft
When you say that your lower control arms are fine, you mean that you've removed the ball joint end of the arms from the wheel bearing housing and checked the play in the ball joint?

The bushings in the lower arms get really noisy but, the ball joints are pretty much junk on all the arms after 80K miles.
i personally havent but i did have the check/replace lower control arm recall done a little while back

and considering i know every tech @ audi and the fact that would have been a few free hours for one of them, i think im ok [;)]

derek2079
09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
What is typical cost of replacement of all control arms parts and labor?

Audimarc
09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Daft
The last time I asked about the control arm "recall" I was told that you must have a failed ball joint on any arm that is making noise. They will not replace a control arm to fix a squeaky inner bushing.

Typically, the ball joints all wear out eventually but, the key is having them flop around enough to get the service tech to replace them.

They will probably replace 1 or 2 arms and call it a day. There's almost a 0% chance of you getting all 8 control arms replaced.

That's true. Audis have a serious history of failed ball joints. Replaced them often on my 4000S Quattro....