PDA

View Full Version : spuddering and symptoms

LoeA4
09-25-2005, 10:02 AM
I've searched both AW and here for "spuddering" "studdering" ect ect ect but the majority of the ones I've found are for 1.8t and regarding there ICM and rare 2.8 ones that have no feedback from the starter of the thread to tell us what they did to resolve it.

For the past month, I've been getting a random spudder under light loads in higher gears at low speeds. It's more of a 'miss' than a spudder, as if the engine missfires. No sweat right? I changed my spark plugs to NGK V-powers and air filter but that didn't cure the trick. The amount of occurance has increased since then and I decided to change my plug wires. The amount of occurance still remains the same all the while I stopped into autozone to have them check for any stored DTC. Nothing besides a VSS out of range, but I've done a search and its a non-related issue since my speedo works and its a random CEL light (3 times so far within 3 months).

As I was driving home yesterday from work, I went to pass another car, downshifted into 2nd gear. All of a sudden, serious spuddering, the engine barely revs despite me giving more gas, speed barely rises. You'd think this was a misfire correct? Well the CEL light started blinking for roughly 15 seconds and stayed on constantly. I pulled over, the car idled like nothing happened but the CEL light remains on. I decided to head on over to autozone at this point to see if they can tell me what this CEL light was on for. It was the same DTC for VSS. No stored missfire codes. Im thinking at this point, OK maybe I can put this off until the rain stops.

Well as I was coming out to start the car after supper, the car refused to even start. The starter would crank but it wouldn't even start. After 3 times of trying, it somewhat tried to start and studdered but I gave it some gas and it smoothed out. The car idled fine like nothing happened and drove fine like nothing happened.

Next on my list is to replace the fuel-filter once the rain stops. Any other ideas I should add to this list? I went to start it this morning and it started like nothing happened, although the CEL light is on, but not blinking.

LoeA4
09-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Ok N/M I went back to autozone this morning and I recieved a DTC cylinder 3 missfire twice so I'll check the plug wires and spark plug on that one again. If not, I'll have to replace the ignition amplifier unit for plug 3.

MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD IF YOU PLEASE. THANKS [:)]

Yuikio
09-25-2005, 02:27 PM
your search problem may have been because most people say "sputter" and "stutter." Glad you cleared up your problem, though. It's fairly common.

VtAudi
09-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Throttle body might be dirty and need to be cleaned

LoeA4
09-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Yuikio
your search problem may have been because most people say "sputter" and "stutter." Glad you cleared up your problem, though. It's fairly common.

I tried that and it seems as though on AW, the ignition amplifier module seems to be a good place to start.

Im going to swap the spark plug wires on #3 and #5 (both the longest ones on each side so they will reach) and see if that misfire code moves to cylinder #5. If so, its the spark plug wire, If not, Im going to swap the ignition amplifer module with the one that controls #2 and #6 cylinder (the middle one) with the one that controls the #3 and #5 cylinder (passenger side one) and see if it moves to cylinder #2 andn or cylinder #6.

Couldn't hurt considering that it will be free and Im helpless without a proper repair manual. It seems as though the more I have my car loaded, the more missfiring I get so I'm going to head over to autozone again to get stored codes read and see if I get more missfires. I got it checked earlier today and a new code came up as Engine Coolant Sensor but I've search on AW and its more related to the temperature gauge fluxuation, but mine hasn't done that yet ($34 part, rather cheap IMHO)

LoeA4
09-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Swapped wires #2 and #3 and cleared the ECU codes. The car didn't missfire for the first 30 mins of driving but after that I started to get some, although alot less than before. I went back to autozone to have them read the codes but there are no stored codes so I can't diagnose this at this point.

LoeA4
09-29-2005, 05:37 PM
EUREKA!!!!

I finally got a blinking CEL light so I pulled over, restarted the engine and drove my way to autozone to have to codes read. The missfire DTC moved to cylinder #2 after the swapping of wires, so its the spark plug wire ($14 at the dealer).