PDA

View Full Version : alignment, tie rod????

boostedup
09-25-2005, 09:20 AM
well, my front passenger tire is wearing out quickly on the outside, i have a 2001 1.8T on 19" ASA ST5's. still running stock suspension and all other tires are not wearing out at all. also the car pulls a little bit to the right. is this just misalignment or am i gonna be forking up some dough $$ ??

BTW any help is appreciated[confused]

nramsey
09-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Alignment is a great place to start.

boostedup
09-25-2005, 09:28 AM
i know it would be a good place to start, but i don't wanna pay for an alignment only to have to change the TRE, and then have to realign the car after install, was just asking the best way to check if it's the TRE, have used the search but with very vague results..............

nramsey
09-25-2005, 09:33 AM
I'd recommend taking it to a dealer for the alignment believe it or not. One thing they don't seem to overcharge for. That's what I did. They found it had a bad tie rod end and replaced it under warranty. I only had to pay for one alignment ($90) because they replaced it while they were doing the alignment. When my tie rod end was bad I had no symptoms that I could hear, but they were able to tell. My tires weren't worn differently though.

Since you say the car pulls to the right, I'm betting your toe is just off.

Really no way to know until you take it in. I'm not really sure what the shadetree method of diagnosing a bad tie rod end is.

boostedup
09-25-2005, 09:37 AM
well my car has about 92,xxx miles on it so i doubt anything is under warranty

quickglx
09-25-2005, 09:52 AM
You'll probably end up gettin two tie rods cuz they will be frozen and you can't do the alignment if you can't adjust toe....

jaredpgh
09-25-2005, 04:25 PM
the shadetree method of diagnosing a bad tre is to jack up the side of the car in question, and try to shake the wheel front to back. It should be tight with absolutely no movement. If the tre is bad, you will feel some wiggle and see the loose movement by looking at the tre boot.

boostedup
10-06-2005, 04:17 PM
well good news is there was nothing wrong with the tie rods, it was only the alignment that was off. (mostly the toe like nramsey said[up] ) i appreciate everyone help and responses, it ended up costing about 120 at a good year place, but they did the laser one because my car has 19"s on it so they couldnt do it with the regular alignment machine.[az]

nramsey
10-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Cool deal. Always nice when things come out cheaper than you fear [up]