PDA

View Full Version : Did I explode my clutch? Hit first gear instead of third. Suggestions on troubleshoot

Pantech
05-16-2015, 04:23 AM
Long story short I was trying to get out into traffic on the highway. When shifting into third I went into first which spiked the rpm's to 7500 instantly. In a panic I pulled it into neutral. When I went to push the clutch in it stuck part way down and then popped back up. Pedal feels normal but does nothing.

I did shove into 5th gear and drive it to work without a clutch. Strangly enough it never slipped on the 20 mile drive to my office?

Funny thing is I have only owned this thing for a month and have complained about how you almost have to be at a complete stop to even shift into first. Except today went in like silk at 45 mph :(

Any suggestions on anything to try before I start pulling the transmission out?
2004 a4 b6 3.0

Pantech
05-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Anyone have a suggestion? See lots of veiws so far?

vacsimile
05-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Sounds like the clutch disc split and doubled over on itself. Definitely replace the dual-mass flywheel too. After you replace the clutch spend some time listening to the engine for damage... It probably spun faster than 7.5k and could have bent valves, broken springs or displaced roller rockers. Good luck.

Pantech
05-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks, plan to start to taking it apart next week.
Thinking the motor is still ok, continued to drive to work and it sounds fine still.

vacsimile
05-18-2015, 04:58 AM
Listen with your head under the hood. Things like displaced roller rockers won't make much noise at all.

Pantech
05-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Was thinking of buying the LuK brand flywheel and clutch set up. Anyone use this brand? Planning to just sell the car soon so I don't want to spend a boatload of cash in parts but I want it to last for whoever buys it. Still searching for a write up for replacement on an a4 3.0. ( can only find one for the 1.8)

Nollywood
05-25-2015, 03:20 AM
Most likely culprit is a broken dual mass flywheel, and/or a damaged friction disc.

Engine damage? Unlikely. You need to pull the trans, and assess the damage. Don't forget to update us though on your findings.

Good luck!

Pantech
05-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Will do, waiting for parts to arrive before I start. Ordered a new flywheel and clutch assembly.
Flywheel on back order for 2 weeks [rolleyes] But for 290.00 instead of 440.00 I can wait.

vacsimile
05-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Damn only $290 for a DMFW?! Yeah I would wait for that kind of price too. And for the record, over spinning an engine can definitely damage it... Depending on how fast you spin it, of course.

Pantech
07-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Update: Tore it all down, clutch material completely tore off the disc. Replaced everything clutch related, engine is still quiet 2k later so pretty sure it's all good.

boomtime
07-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Update: Tore it all down, clutch material completely tore off the disc. Replaced everything clutch related, engine is still quiet 2k later so pretty sure it's all good.

Trade it for a new Audi!

scythefwd
07-06-2015, 08:14 AM
How are you liking the luk? I found on vw forums (tdi related.. so slightly different beasts when it comes to the clutch) that folks had a strong preference for the sachs vs. the luk.