PDA

View Full Version : Idle issue once warmed up.

b5a4erik
05-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Hey all,

I've had this issue for a little while now, I've been working out the kinks but a specific problem still persists.

Background: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/648270-Vacuum-Leak

Car was having an issue where it would hesitate and surge on throttle, rev fluctuate drastically at idle, and sometimes even stall... cold or warmed up. Figured the issue was a dirty MAF. I cleaned the MAF and that helped.

Issue now:

So before, the car would have those symptoms randomly whether cold or warmed up, now, the car behaves mostly fine* up until the point where the coolant temp is warmed up.

For example: I'll start my car, drive it casually to work, all while the coolant temp gauge is rising to operating temp. Once I get to work early, I'll sit at idle, while the coolant temp continues to rise. Once the car reaches operating temp, that's when things go haywire. The car starts the rev fluctuations, the vacuum pressures going from -20 to -10, sputtering into an eventual stall.

* - Car does have a bit of a high idle, staying pretty consistently at about 1200rpms. Also, with the heat on I can smell what is most relate-able to smoke from a burnt out candle. Recently replaced thermostat and upgraded to a HFC.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anybody know what's going on with my car?

Seerlah
05-12-2015, 08:24 AM
I would place my bet on your coolant temp sensor.

b5a4erik
05-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I would place my bet on your coolant temp sensor.

I recently replaced this part as well. My gauge reads that it gets up to temp, leading me to believe that the sensor is functional. It's when the gauge reads up to temp that the problems start.

Just a sensor could cause these problems?

b5a4erik
05-12-2015, 05:36 PM
bump.

ricekikr
05-13-2015, 12:40 AM
Symptoms point to vacuum leak. Probably runs better when cold fuel to warm up corrections (adds fuel)

What are your fuel trims?

b5a4erik
05-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Symptoms point to vacuum leak. Probably runs better when cold fuel to warm up corrections (adds fuel)

What are your fuel trims?

This I don't know :/

Could any of this have relation to the burnt out candle smell?

Vacuum leak seems probable to me as well, thanks for the input.

ricekikr
05-13-2015, 11:18 AM
This I don't know :/

Could any of this have relation to the burnt out candle smell?

Vacuum leak seems probable to me as well, thanks for the input.

Not entirely sure we have the same type of candles.

Could be either pcv leak = vacuum leak = burnt oil smell or coolant.

Do a vacuum leak test. If you dont have a compressor, id start checking the hoses that connects to the intake manifold/throttle.

b5a4erik
05-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Not entirely sure we have the same type of candles.

Could be either pcv leak = vacuum leak = burnt oil smell or coolant.

Do a vacuum leak test. If you dont have a compressor, id start checking the hoses that connects to the intake manifold/throttle.

haha thanks man, appreciate it.