PDA

View Full Version : How to check engine mounts?

derek2079
09-23-2005, 07:07 PM
A noise like a clunking of some sort is coming from accelerating and going over bumps in first and second. I replaced my snub mount and it still makes the noise but not as much.

How would i go about checking my motor mounts, is there a diy on how to replace them, and where is the cheapest place to get them?

[wrench]

bitterchild
09-23-2005, 10:01 PM
look at them from underneath, stick a rag under the litlte rubber covers. if you get any purple fluid they're gone. try purems for new mounts.

derek2079
09-23-2005, 10:21 PM
do you have any pictures of where they are located?

bitterchild
09-23-2005, 10:27 PM
the car pretty much has to be in the air. one is under the airbox, the other is opposite the first.

btw the clunking over bumps does not soudn ike engine mounts.

derek2079
09-23-2005, 10:56 PM
its not really when i go over bumps but its more when im accelerating and i can hear my engine clunking around. I accually looked under my car and i must have bottomed out because my snub wasnt there so i replaced that

However my control arms are in really good shape, look almost good as new

rendyx
09-23-2005, 11:26 PM
I check them by putting the parking brake on, finding a safe spot with nothing in front of or behind me, popping the hood, then trying to make the car move with quick use of the clutch and gas. You can see through the windshield and under the hood (or have someone watch) if the motor moves around a lot when you do this. You'll know if they're busted [:D]

Keep in mind the point is not to make the car move, but to quickly (don't smoke your clutch) load the motor down heavily.

derek2079
09-24-2005, 12:35 AM
im almost positive they are no good, they go bad in our cars easily

Starting
09-24-2005, 06:21 AM
theres a writeup on audiworld telling you how to replace them. From there you can see where they are. One change I did to the writeup is got the passenger side top bolt off by removing my air box and going from the top. That was a lot easier for me to do.

boosteda4
09-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by rendyx
I check them by putting the parking brake on, finding a safe spot with nothing in front of or behind me, popping the hood, then trying to make the car move with quick use of the clutch and gas. You can see through the windshield and under the hood (or have someone watch) if the motor moves around a lot when you do this. You'll know if they're busted [:D]

Keep in mind the point is not to make the car move, but to quickly (don't smoke your clutch) load the motor down heavily.

Thats what I did.. my motor jumps like kris kross.. =( but i havent fixed my stupid mounts...

MR VTEC
09-24-2005, 11:28 AM
i didn't know you can do a visual inspection of control arms to find out if they are any good.