PDA

View Full Version : Slow start

bruther
09-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi all,
I just had my timing belt replaced ( not including new valves, head and everything else). But once I got my car back my car is significantly slower off the start. Sometimes when starting from a dead stop it will almost stall or will be very slow to accelerate. I tried tightning the throttel cable a little which helped but I need to know some other things I can check or do to get this thing going a little better. It seems to do alright in acceleration at higher speeds(though not as fast as before).

Since having the timing belt put in I had to replace the ignition control unit. Right after I put the ignition control unit in it was accelerating much better but after about 2 weeks it went back to being very slow off the start. I'm not chipped at all and haven't done much else with the engine. I did change the normal stuff, plugs, air filter etc.... I'm thinkgin of taking off my throttle body this weekend and cleaning that or having all my lines pressurized( I'm not sure if that will help me out). If anyone has some good suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks

my car is 99 A4 1.8T Quattro

RedRocket
09-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Maybe hook of a VAG-COM scan tool, maybe a TBA, maybe a boost leak somewhere.

Go through the writeup for timing belt install in AW and see what parts may have been effected by the shops work.

bruther
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM
I've tried hooking up the Vag and I cannot seem to get connected to my ECU. We tried two different Vags and both were unable to get anything. I was just looking for ways to maybe try and trouble shoot the problem since I am unable to get a VAg hooked up. Would this problem have anything to do with the O2 sensor? I have about 95,000 miles on the car and the O2 sensor has never been changed.

The dealership a while ago told me they could hook up to each control unit with a Vag but it would cost me lots of money. I'm just trying to change everything that I can that will be reasonable before dishing out serious money. I have already changed the cam shaft positioning sensor.

Any other ideas? I have already looked through many posts about this problem and haven;t seen anything helpful yet.

Thanks all

rowdysaudi1
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
IF you didn't do it yourself, you should take it back to your mechanic and have him work on it until it's better, or at least figure out the problem. They probably screwed something up while putting the TB on...

BranCKY3
09-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Maybe the timing is off now.

bruther
09-23-2005, 11:18 AM
There is two things.
1. I had this timing belt done in Savannah GA and I live in Ohio (long story).

2. How do you check the timing on this car and how much work would be involved if I needed to have the timing adjusted. DO they need to take off everything that was taken off when the TB was changed.

Thanks Again.

offroader1006
09-23-2005, 08:14 PM
if its off a tooth or so, itll definitely feel sluggish off the start. the only 100% way to tell is to take everything off and look at the marcs and keyways on the cam and crank gears.

i think i did something similar on mine when i did it, its suposed to be half a tooth off but i think i went the wrong direction. luckily it totalled about 500 miles after that. lol.

bitterchild
09-23-2005, 10:04 PM
you need to pull codes before anything else. i really don't understand why you can't vag it. any obd2 scanner can pulls the codes.