PDA

View Full Version : Who has done a cam chain tensioner before?

RAyala2.7T
09-21-2005, 09:54 PM
As the question states, who has done one or had it done? I'd love to do this myself but I need to know what I'm up against regarding this. I'm getting a quote for it tomorrow but I'd really like to tackle this one myself. Oh yeah, its on my fiance's 99 passat aeb 1.8T.

.aye four.
09-21-2005, 10:55 PM
If you are pretty handy then it is a pretty easy DIY. Just be careful removing the cam shaft make sure you mark everything VERY well making sure nothing moves when you have the cam out. Mark the cam chain on both shafts and mark the timing belt. I marked both in 2 places each just to make sure nothing had moved.

audispeed
09-21-2005, 11:27 PM
i'm pretty handy, but I dont know if I would try it myself. It can be pretty tricky and I wouldnt want to do it myself the fisrt time. I had an Audi Certified Tech help me do it and after having watched it I would do it myself now, but not the first time.

.aye four.
09-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I did it myself with just a DIY post on AW no pictures it wasn't to bad but if you don't trust yourself with it get it done by a professional. If you mess it up it could end up being a big headache.

BarryT82
09-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Mine was changed under warranty. The tech told me it's pricey at the dealership to get it changed, but if you can't do it order the part and take it to a local shop.

RAyala2.7T
09-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by .aye four.
I did it myself with just a DIY post on AW no pictures it wasn't to bad but if you don't trust yourself with it get it done by a professional. If you mess it up it could end up being a big headache.

Damn, its too bad I don't live in Arlington anymore or I would have asked you if you wanted to help me out with it. My fiance and I just moved back to socal and I don't know any vw or audi techs around here. I'm sure I can do it myself, I'll just have to do more research on it.

RedRocket
09-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I posted about this yesterday and was supposed to start then. Gonna start tonight. I've taken it apart and put it back together about 1000 times in my head. I will follow the Writeup on AW and maybe create a new one. Gonna do it tonght, good luck to you, don't be worried.

Here look at this:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64723

quickglx
09-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Are you changing the tensioner itself or just the seals? The seals are cake, no cam removal necessary....

.aye four.
09-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by RAyala1.8T
Damn, its too bad I don't live in Arlington anymore or I would have asked you if you wanted to help me out with it. My fiance and I just moved back to socal and I don't know any vw or audi techs around here. I'm sure I can do it myself, I'll just have to do more research on it.

Damn thats too bad I would have been more then happy to lend you a hand with it. Just do alittle research im sure you'll get the idea of how much work is required. The one thing I had the most trouble with is removing the valve cover its alittle tricky the first time make sure you buy new clamps for the hoses attached to the valve cover. You will have to break a few of the stock clamps off.