PDA

View Full Version : The B5

almaster666
09-21-2005, 09:50 PM
So i drove my dads B5 for the first time in a very long time the other day and here is what i noticed:

Negative Points:
1) Lack of low-end power/tq
2) Somewhat tricky clutch (releases very high)
3) Tiny gear lever
4) Driving Position was not great
5) It was very difficult to be smooth w/ the brakes
6) Slightly artificial driving experience...

Positive:
1) Smoothness of gear shifting
2) Weighty steering feel
3) Acceleration over 3000 rpms
4) Quiet, reposed, relaxed engine
5) Strong brakes
6) Overall handling (both dry and wet, even w/ fwd)

offroader1006
09-21-2005, 09:55 PM
my car has none of those negatives.

your dad was gipped.

jent
09-21-2005, 09:59 PM
I don't know what you mean by 'artifical driving experince'??

almaster666
09-21-2005, 10:03 PM
i mean it feels computerized, i dont know, i just feel like im not directly linked to the engine... mebbe i shouldnt have put that in there, cuz i cant really explain what i meant

almaster666
09-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by offroader1006
my car has none of those negatives.

your dad was gipped.

he bought the car new... 5 years ago.
the negatives are subjective by the way, just wondering what you guys like and do not like about your B5
does your car have no turbo lag?

R-Dub
09-21-2005, 11:29 PM
You know I can only speak on my experiance of driving a 6k lb Crown Vic to this car and I can safetly say I have yet to find a SINGLE thing I dont like about it.

Im sure if I drove more cars in this catagory I could say one or two but at this time - I think the B5 is great.

LateraLex
09-22-2005, 06:27 AM
I think the first two points are correct. I don't find that I really think of it as a negative though.

marked001
09-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by almaster666
i mean it feels computerized, i dont know, i just feel like im not directly linked to the engine... mebbe i shouldnt have put that in there, cuz i cant really explain what i meant

possibly b/c of the drive by wire system... drive a 99.5....much better [;)]

Yuikio
09-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by almaster666
So i drove my dads B5 for the first time in a very long time the other day and here is what i noticed:

Negative Points:
1) Lack of low-end power/tq
2) Somewhat tricky clutch (releases very high)
3) Tiny gear lever
4) Driving Position was not great
5) It was very difficult to be smooth w/ the brakes
6) Slightly artificial driving experience...

even w/ fwd)

I'd agree with 1 and 6 to an extent. Keep in mind that switching from a Camaro to an A4 is going to be quite a leap. The "artificial driving experience" is what most people would probably call 'luxurious." Coming from a Japanese econobox I can kinda relate to what you're saying about that, though. It's engineered-in quality. Sound deadening and the lightness and smoothness of the luxury-biased power-assisted controls are probably what differentiates the Audi from the Camaro in that respect.
The other things probably come down to personal preference and experience. The height of the seat is adjustable, at least in my car w/ sport seats. And the very-low-end torque is defintely gonna be anemic with the size of the engine we're talking about. Try and roll up a hill at 2100 RPMs and you won't make it. IDK, just my .02, but it seems like alot of your niggles are preference and illustrate what you're comfortable with rather than actual weak points of the car.

almaster666
09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
^^ you are right, they are mostly preferences...
and i mean, the car is great, just perhaps a tiny bit dull... and i know that thatis part of the luxury
and that it can be made up very quickly w/ light mods

nramsey
09-22-2005, 05:40 PM
A chip and a week with the car and I think all of your reservations about it would go away. I can't say that the clutch or brakes are tricky at all really once you get used to the high grab point and pedal feel. The steering does seem a tab numb sometimes, but that's because of the target market for the car...folks who buy Audis don't usually like to be able to feel the texture of the road. A nice coilover kit and lower profile tires can cure that. As for the power delivery, that's what you get with a small displacement turbocharged engine. The price you pay for reasonable fuel economy and easy upgradability I guess.

As for "tiny gear lever", well maybe compared the billiard ball Camaro one [:p] It seems just about perfect to me.

I'd say my main complaint about my car is the seemingly fragile paint on the front of the hood. Damn rock chips! Other than that, I love it.

pierce
09-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Yea. I have coilovers and a sweet set of tires and I feel every every part of the road.

Personally, I'd take my late releasing A4 clutch over a Bimmer clutch anyday. I can be lazy as hell when I drive this thing and NEVER stall. Yet, when I drive the bimmer I'll stall on frequent occassion.

Rosati
09-22-2005, 06:07 PM
love that heavy steering wheel feature. Big ups to audi on that one.

Is the dbw really that bad? im getting a ' 00 w/ dbw.... shit

Russ D
09-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Rosati
love that heavy steering wheel feature. Big ups to audi on that one.

I've always wondered what caused this feeling... anyone know?

quickglx
09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't agree with any of that stuff either, but then again my car isn't bone stock. W/ a chip it make the low end power very nice. The guy who said you couldn't make it up a hill at 2100rpm is crazy. You can generate full boost there and chug up the hill w/ over 200 lb ft of torque, if you have a chip. Handling and steering feel improves greatly w/ sport suspension and GOOD tires. Up the rim size to 17 and it feels perfect to me. The driving position fits me well, I think you'd have to be an awkward proportioned person not to find a position that suits you w/ tilt/telescoping steering wheel and seat height adjustment. There's even lumbar adjustment on all of them, I have the sport seats and I think it's very comfy...

My complaints:
Rear seat space/legroom
Acceleration after 4500 rpm, generally weak acceleration (why didn't it come stock w/ a k04???)
key remote range
crappy plastic bellypan and low ground clearance
some other crap that really doesn't matter

I love the quattro though, unstoppable in the winter and extremely fun year round. Definately my favorite feature. I'll never own another 2wd car again.

R-Dub
09-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by quickglx
I'll never own another 2wd car again.

[hail] [up] [up]

almaster666
09-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I love the quattro though, unstoppable in the winter and extremely fun year round. Definately my favorite feature. I'll never own another 2wd car again.

Quattro is awesome, efficient in rain or snow and ive driven a Quattro ( not my dad's, b/c he is fwd ) hard and ive never heard even the slightest chirp from the tyres, Quattro is amazing.
But the one thing that i dont like is that you dont get 1 ounce of oversteer like you would in a rwd car... its all understeer
and when it comes to F***in' around, rwd is FUN!!
By the way, my dad's B5 has the sports suspension and the 16" sports wheels.
But what i really like was the overall smoothness of the car which is something im not used to in my car, b/c my car's suspension is way stiffer which lets me and my ass feel every single bump in the road, and i dont know how much the wideness of the tyres plays, but they are 245s, but 15" rims...
Anyways, i love the A4 [a4]
And when i drove it again today, i enjoyed it again.
However, ( please, no flaming ) im not sure i like driving it better than my car... [drive]

nramsey
09-22-2005, 08:44 PM
No, DBW isn't that bad in my opinion. I personally have no complaints about it at all really. It drives almost identically to a 99.5 I've driven which is non-DBW. People who don't have it love to bash it, but I bet they'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a back to back drive not knowing which car had it. It's the wave of the future...most new high market cars have DBW including the Mazda RX8 which is an awesome sports car.

As for the heavy steering, it's just the amount of power assist...less than most Japanese and American cars. European cars tend to have heavier steering feel, which makes the car feel more planted to me.

jones3000
09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
drive anything else for a while, then drive your B5, you will really feel the difference.

Starting
09-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I like my friends 12v b5 over mine in the clutch category. Even though there both high I feel like it takes awhile to make my engage.

I love jeeps cause about an inch off the floor the clutch is fully engaged.

Yuikio
09-23-2005, 02:36 PM
W/ a chip it make the low end power very nice. The guy who said you couldn't make it up a hill at 2100rpm is crazy. You can generate full boost there and chug up the hill w/ over 200 lb ft of torque, if you have a chip.

Haha, you may be right. My chipped car does not make full boost at 2100 RPM, but that must be nice for you. It's not a huge issue to me, because by 2600rpm it makes enough torque to punt me around easily.

Xerophile
09-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Eh, I think it's all what you're used to. I have a 2k like your dad's, but no sports package on mine. Chipped since 60k, now I have 160k and when I go back and forth, I really notice the difference in response and feel of the throttle. But also, take in to account that being a turbo and not NA like the Camaro will make you notice the lower power feel below 3k rpm.

As for the understeer issue, yeah it''l feel different than RWD, but use a let up off the gas a bit during a turn and feel that oversteer jump in. You just need to drive it differently to get the same response out of the car.

Again, it's what you're used to. After 5 years of owning mine, I'm dreading having to buy something else. B5 for life if I could...

SoleMate
09-24-2005, 09:41 PM
I hated the release point on the clutch at first, now i love it. Then again-it was my first manual car so it could have been frustration with learning manual.

nramsey
09-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by B5Ghost
drive anything else for a while, then drive your B5, you will really feel the difference.

Were you referring to me? My other car is a Miata...which I drive every day and is known for it's throttle response. I don't honestly feel much difference other than the turbo lag and when heal/toe downshifting. Looking at my boost gauge, as soon as I move my foot on the throttle the gauge responds indicating the throttle body is moving. Don't see what the big deal is with everyone bashing DBW.

AB18
09-25-2005, 08:44 AM
There is def a dif between ndbw and dbw, and you can notice it.

B5A4
09-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by new car?

I love jeeps cause about an inch off the floor the clutch is fully engaged.

When my clutch was brand new it would fully engage at less than half inch off the floor (no kidding you either) But I did convert my grand cherokee to a manual tranny using a Cherokee pedal and that has something to do w/ it. But yes, I love the Jeeps clutches.

almaster666
09-25-2005, 06:04 PM
So i drove the B5 again today, and the only things i didnt like were the brakes which are a little akward, IMO
however, i found the car extremely pleasing on the freeway where it just takes off in 5th and you dont feel the speed, at least up to 100...
the heavy steering is comfortable at high speeds
and the clutch is alright, actually

BeeFiveQuattro
09-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by B5A4
When my clutch was brand new it would fully engage at less than half inch off the floor (no kidding you either) But I did convert my grand cherokee to a manual tranny using a Cherokee pedal and that has something to do w/ it. But yes, I love the Jeeps clutches.

x2.. I loved my '99 wrangler sport.
-the 1.8T's clutch is 'alright'-- Quattro in a compact AWD sedan is amazing