PDA

View Full Version : clutch people, please cure my paranoia

audithisworld
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
i know our cars grab high, but i feel like mines too high. what are tell tale sighns of a clutch going? besides clutch slipping cause paranoia has me thinking it does that when it doesnt ps i had a vr6 before this so paranoia comes naturally to me wen it comes to car problems

boosteda4
09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
hahaha.. my clutch releases extremely high as well.. =( Im pretty paranoid myself.. i used to race civics (at the track) so im used to low release and no springs in clutch.. haha please help my paranoia as well

markc
09-21-2005, 09:21 PM
It's natural for a clutch to release high in an Audi. The only pointer that I have come across (other than clutch slip) to let you know your clutch is on its way out is that is becomes VERY difficult to get the car in gear.

almaster666
09-21-2005, 09:24 PM
^^^ or if you smell clutch burning, but if you know how to drive that shouldnt happen.
i know that the audis clutch is like no other car's that ive ever driven...

audithisworld
09-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by markc
It's natural for a clutch to release high in an Audi. The only pointer that I have come across (other than clutch slip) to let you know your clutch is on its way out is that is becomes VERY difficult to get the car in gear. its always been hard for me to put it into first and sometimes reverse, but only at a stop. is that it or is it when the cars moving and your going to 2nd 3rd and so on?

jent
09-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by almaster666
^^^ or if you smell clutch burning, but if you know how to drive that shouldnt happen.
i know that the audis clutch is like no other car's that ive ever driven...

It is intresting you say this....After I drive my car if I put my nose in the front wheel well you can sort of small a clutch like smell. I can't tell if it is the clutch or a ruber smell from my new TB and serp belt. It has been less than 1k miles on the new belts. Do you think this is clutch? My clutch does not slipp AT ALL, and it feels fine. Is this odor an early sign that my clutch may fail? Any help would be great because then I can start saving.

markc
09-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by audithisworld
its always been hard for me to put it into first and sometimes reverse, but only at a stop. is that it or is it when the cars moving and your going to 2nd 3rd and so on?

That was the problem when mine went I'm afraid to say. It was only difficult to engage gear at a standstill.

B5A4
09-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by audithisworld
its always been hard for me to put it into first and sometimes reverse, but only at a stop. is that it or is it when the cars moving and your going to 2nd 3rd and so on?

To my knowledge of manual trannys, I'd say your clutch is on its way. Because when you are stopped nothing in the tranny is moving when the clutch is in so it isn't as easy for the synchro's to line up (because of the Audis releasing high) as when you are rolling things are moving and it is "easier" to line the synchro's up. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

jones3000
09-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Try this: At around 30MPH, put the car in 5th gear and step on it. If the rpms and speed needle move at the same pace, then you're fine. Also, try launching in 3rd gear. If the car moves, you're fine.

BavarianAudi
09-22-2005, 09:37 AM
u can also try revving to 6k rpm then very slowly releasing the clutch. then for sure u know ur clutch is gone and there is no mystery.[:)]

MR VTEC
09-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by roudiaudi
u can also try revving to 6k rpm then very slowly releasing the clutch. then for sure u know ur clutch is gone and there is no mystery.[:)]
They didnt ask how to finish off their cltches!!!

buck
09-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
They didnt ask how to finish off their cltches!!!

audithisworld
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
ok did the 5th gear thing cars fine i guess now heres a new topic- i have 90000 miles on it. i can get a revo chip installed from hodi in new jersey for 500 bills. is it too late?

Juggernaut A4
09-22-2005, 01:10 PM
When my clutch went it smelled horrible asweel as it wouldnt go into 1st and reverse ( it would go into reverse but it was grinding). Turns out that I had cracked or broke the pressure plate and ended up haveing to pay 1600 to get a new one installed. But now it is sometimes hard to go into reverse, I have to rev it or let it roll back and then it will go. Can anyone explain this?

BranCKY3
09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
It's never too late for more power [:)]

mike-2ptzero
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Juggernaut A4
When my clutch went it smelled horrible asweel as it wouldnt go into 1st and reverse ( it would go into reverse but it was grinding). Turns out that I had cracked or broke the pressure plate and ended up haveing to pay 1600 to get a new one installed. But now it is sometimes hard to go into reverse, I have to rev it or let it roll back and then it will go. Can anyone explain this?

Sounds like the new disk is a little thicker then the first one not allowing the disk to release from the flywheel. When they replaced it did they resurface the flywheel, because there would be high spots on it.

Juggernaut A4
09-22-2005, 01:45 PM
I am not sure if they did or not. I dont know if I will be able to find out if they did. But thanks mike now I am not as worried about it starting to go again.

jent
09-22-2005, 02:01 PM
can anyone comment on my clutch odor question??? Could it be a rubber smell or should I start saving for a clutch??

Quattrocket
09-22-2005, 02:36 PM
The clutch in my old Audi 5000 cd turbo exploded. that was pretty funny.scary at the time but now its funny. I was on the highway doing about 100kmh when there was a muffled BAM! I near shit my pants.

hoonee46
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Never experienced the skank of an audi clutch going, but on japanese cars, it WREAKS when the clutch is going... that's all you smell... fishy... different from rubber, I'd say.... and you won't doubt it... when you give your car some gas, you'll also see the RPM flying, but loss in power... as if you're not engaged... those are the signs....
My clutch catches all the way up top as well... I actually like this a bit better cuz you can shift with less work... faster i recon also...

mike-2ptzero
09-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
The clutch in my old Audi 5000 cd turbo exploded. that was pretty funny.scary at the time but now its funny. I was on the highway doing about 100kmh when there was a muffled BAM! I near shit my pants.

I cracked one of my custom 4200lbs pressure plates into 5 pieces and at the same time broke a 6puck sprung disk rated at 500 lbs of tq. That was the worst 2 hr drive home I have ever had.

nramsey
09-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Drive the car at 30 MPH, put the car in 5th gear, clutch in, rev the engine a bit, let the clutch out and floor it. If the clutch doesn't slip it's fine. If it does, it's on the way out.

Trouble getting into 1st or reverse isn't usually a sign of clutches going out from my experience. That would lead me to believe the clutch wasn't disengaging completely, which would be a clutch hydraulic issue...master or slave cylinder or dirty fluid being the main suspects. A slipping/worn clutch is the complete opposite...a clutch that doesn't engage well enough and slips in the higher gears where the gearing puts the most strain on the clutch.