PDA

View Full Version : Unless your car is under warranty or has an extended warranty BOYCOTT your dealer!!!

Andrew A4
09-21-2005, 05:19 PM
I just took my car in to get the engine mounts replaced since i found out they were covered by my extended warranty and while it was there i had them fix an oil leak becuase the geniuses at Circle Imports (my old Audi dealership) decided to not torque down the valve cover or cam tensioner gasket to the proper lb-ft (valve cover was @ 4lb-ft..... should be at 8lb-ft).

So..... I had the dealer do the work and looked at the insane prices they charged for parts and labor.

Just for reference, i provided my OWN upgraded S4 engine mounts (much stiffer than the A4 mounts), and paid $49.99 each for them. Audi charges $119 each or so for the SAME MOUNT. Then there is the install..... $333.00 IN LABOR???!!??!! WTF???? I can do that job in less than an hour.

Then comes the oil leak. The prices for the gaskets were a little high, but nothing too insane. But then i looked at the labor costs and almost blew a gasket myself. 5.5 HOURS for a total of 550.50 in Labor?!??!! Again, i could do the job myself in about 2 hours MAX.

And you guys wonder why insurance and cars of all types cost so much these days??? These dealers totally RIP people off.

http://www.kalionzes.com/audi_photos/ExtendedWarranty.jpg

While i was there, i asked about having the timing belt and water pump replaced ( i need to do it by 80k miles....) and they quoted me $1300!!!!

I can get the parts alone for under $300 from an independant shop and can do the job myself or pay a tuner $200 or so to do the install.

http://www.kalionzes.com/audi_photos/timingbeltkit.jpg

scooter44
09-21-2005, 05:27 PM
thats why we call it the STEALership..

Meddie600RR
09-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Wow, thats rediculous. I need to find a local mechanic cause my car just came off of warranty.

quickglx
09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Just so you know the cam adjuster seal is a common job on both 2.8s and 1.8s. Valve cover bolts bottom out so you could put as much torque as you want on them and have the same result. Cam tensioner seal is a metal gasket so there isn't much to screw up as far as torque goes there either, what goes is the rubber pat of the cam adjuster seal under the gasket. If you could have done all this stuff yourself in such a short amount of time, why didn't you? Surely they gave you an estimate before they bent you over. You knew what the hourly rate was didn't you? Just feel lucky you don't have a 2.8 and bad cam adjuster seals, there's two of them and labor can be as much as 14 hrs customer pay.

Andrew A4
09-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Umm..... look at what i posted before you start flaming away.

It was covered UNDER WARRANTY.

quickglx
09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Well great! You just saved a bunch of cheese... So what are you bitching about?

almaster666
09-21-2005, 08:18 PM
I wanted to get a splash shield for an A4 b/c it broke, but the dealership charges $178 for a piece of plastic
and that doesnt include the little screws which they charge $5 each.
so, ill just fix my old one with fiberglass or sumthin

bitterchild
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM
nobody pays that much, they bill a lot of labor hours b/c the warranty pay rate is very low. god i hope nobody pays that much

ianlionzion
09-22-2005, 12:00 AM
when your warranty is gone, I would suggest Jose @ Euro-tech in W. LA. Alot of people here can vouch for his work and resonable prices...

derek2079
09-22-2005, 02:14 AM
rule # 1 of the dealer, do not goto the dealer

LateraLex
09-22-2005, 06:23 AM
The same thing happens in hospitals I worked a summer job long ago as a physical therapist... 95% of the patients had medicare, and medicare would only pay the hospital (HealthSouth) 30% of the bill. So to make it up they charged outrageous rates. They even each other out, but if you walked in looking to pay cash you had to pay $90 for a ice pack!

nramsey
09-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Glass repair places are scammers too. I got a windshield replaced on a Protege I used to have and the dealer was going to charge $150 MORE if I used my insurance than if I paid myself, just cause they could. No wonder our rates are so fing high.

buck
09-22-2005, 08:00 AM
I was just at the dealer also. They wanted 2 hours to change a MAF.... I thought that was crazy.

Andrew A4
09-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by quickglx
Well great! You just saved a bunch of cheese... So what are you bitching about?

Wow you have terrible reading comprehension. [confused] Try starating at the thread title and then work on understanding the concepts presented in the original post.

joeya103
09-22-2005, 08:49 AM
yea, stealership is crazy bad. i've heard of people getting charged $200 to change spark plugs. SPARK PLUGS! =O

sorta common knowledge though...no warranty, no dealership.

k0mpresd
09-22-2005, 08:50 AM
so..you got a bunch of free stuff and labor under warranty...then you mention how the book rate is a lot higher then the time it could take you to do it....

free stuff, didnt pay for labor, and you can get parts cheaper and do the job faster than the dealer

so youre complaining about...????

Droors43
09-22-2005, 09:37 AM
this is under warranty, correct? did they make you pay $600 or not? people's reading comprehension is not off. your post seems misleading that you had to pay $600 while it was under warranty.

if you did not pay, then why complain?

if you did pay, then the stealership sucks.

R-Dub
09-22-2005, 09:45 AM
My local Audi Dealership has these charges:

99.99 - Oil Change w/ synthetic (total cost of Mobil Synthetic Oil - 8.99 for 4 quarts)

119.99 - SMOG Check (43.99 at a local gas station w/ dyno)

And dont even get me started on if there is anything wrong under the hood...last I saw they charged 80/hr.

LateraLex
09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Its pretty obvious that Andrew posted this just to let us all know. He obviously isn't pissed off, maybe wanted to warn others. It's not so obvious to some people.

And he would be right to be pissed, because as many have said - this is why insurance is so high.

Howard Hughes
09-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Yeah they truely are the stealership.... I remeber going in for a bulb...they wanted like 43 bucks...then my cousin hooked me up...it went from $43.00-$3.12 shows you how little they pay for that crap.

Marcelo
09-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Thats cheap compared to the dealers here in Brazil. About 2 months ago I crashed my A4, had to replace the headlights, hood grill, radiator, a/c condenser and belt cover. They wanted to charge me US$8.300!!! Only in parts!! I didnt even asked for a labor quote!! I paid $13.750 for my car!!!! I fixed it up for $1.850!!

Can you believe it!!!????

Marcelo[a4] [eek]

R-Dub
09-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Wow..that is ridiculous.

My friend had a great one for Acura.

He bought an RSX-S about 2 years ago - installed an after market CD Player when one day his car didnt start up.

Took to the dealer (mind you its still under full warrenty) but they calimed that the after market stereo was at fault and wanted to charge 1400 for labor to fix the car.

He told them (and now im quoting) "Fuck You and Fuck This Dealership." walked out and went to Radio Shaq, bought a .99 fuse, replaced the blown one in his dash and car still works perfectly.

1400 vs. 0.99 - cant go wrong!

Quattrocket
09-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Youd have to be insane to go to the dealership to get regular work done. What sucks is that they require you to have up-to-date records before getting service actions. like the 1.8T failure/engine replacement. Who gets their oil changed at the dealer when the car is 6 years old??? and as far as keeping receipts for oil, who does this? If I kept every receipt i ever got id have nowhere to live cuz my house would be filled with them.

Russ D
09-22-2005, 04:17 PM
haha, the dealer I bought my car from had to do the waterpump t-belt thing the day after I bought it... they said "this fix would have cost you $1,900 if you hadn't bought it yesterday!" Yikes.

ny02s4
09-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I got a story for you guys about a bad dealership experiance. When i was at the stealership picking up my car back in April (in the rain) i noticed one of the headlight lenses totally fogged out and the HID bulb burnt. I pointed it out to my salesman who told me its normal for them to fog up in the rain. So i point to 2 other B5 S4's parked less than 5 feet from me and asked "where is the fog in those lenses." He didnt have much of a response to that so i asked to see the GM of the dealership. He told me they could swap the bulb which was fine with me but i stil wanted to know why the lenses was all fogged out. So as i go inside to find the owner my salesman walks back over to the car and turns on the highbeams hoping to warm up the lense enough to get rid of the fog. So i run back out there and tell him you gotta be shittin me.... Im about to pay $28(after taxes and all that) for a car with leaking headlights and you wont do a thing for me?? So after a few more choice words on my part he got the owner of the dealership outside. He told me its normal and that they have a venting system that sometimes makes them leak... bad mistake. My father was right there and immediatly jumped in and pretty much demanded they swap the housing or do somethin to compansate for it. So after more back and forth arguing and calming my father down they pulled my car inside. The service center is right near the waiting room so i watched the guys swap the bulb out in about 5min. Then they close the hood and bring it back around. I was like you gotta be kidding me. Now the parts counter "manager" gets involved telling me its a 4hr job to pull the bumper off the car and to remove the headlight housing and to reinstall the new one. I TOTALLY bugged out.... cause just two days earlier i did a HID and clear corner mod to my boys '01 A4 and had his headlight lense out in literally 2mins. I explained what i had done already and thats its 3 T30 torx screws and it comes right out, but he wouldnt hear it he still insisted its a 4hr job and that id have to come back the following week to have it swapped. NOTE* i live 3hrs from this place so i wasnt gonna come back and sit in the waiting room for 4hrs when i knew damn well its a 5min job for the swap. So by the time i got home 90% of the fog cleared out and the rest a few days later. And since then even after my clear corner mod they havent once fogged up on me, which i find very strange.
So in the end i still bought the car(obviously) from that $hitbag dealership ONLY because the car was MINT inside and out and for the millage i got a sick deal. This is just another reason why i totally dred going to the dealer with a problem. [mad]

sorry I had to vent that story, lol

Ant

goody6691
09-22-2005, 08:09 PM
dealerships love doing warranty work. i dont think that is the price you would have paid. that is the price audi has to pay. and we wonder why our cars cost so much. service departments are the bread and butter of any dealer. the sales dept accounts for very little revenue .

Andrew A4
09-23-2005, 02:22 AM
Well i picked up the car this afternoon with the s4 engine mounts installed and cam gasket and valve gasket leaks fixed and since it was covered all by my API warranty i bought with the car new, they took care of everything. The invoice was insane though. Just shy of $1,200 for all the parts and labor. But since i provided the S4 engine mounts, the dealer gave me a pair of brand new A4 engine mounts in the box since the warranty paid for them.

Car runs like a charm, and there was a noticeable difference from the stiffer engine mounts. And so far, no oil leaks.

I still cannot get over how much they charge for parts and labor. Totally insane. The 100k mile warranty pretty much paid for itself today... even though if i didn't have it i could have done the job for far far less myself.

quickglx
09-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by ny02s4
I got a story for you guys about a bad dealership experiance. When i was at the stealership picking up my car back in April (in the rain) i noticed one of the headlight lenses totally fogged out and the HID bulb burnt. I pointed it out to my salesman who told me its normal for them to fog up in the rain. So i point to 2 other B5 S4's parked less than 5 feet from me and asked "where is the fog in those lenses." He didnt have much of a response to that so i asked to see the GM of the dealership. He told me they could swap the bulb which was fine with me but i stil wanted to know why the lenses was all fogged out. So as i go inside to find the owner my salesman walks back over to the car and turns on the highbeams hoping to warm up the lense enough to get rid of the fog. So i run back out there and tell him you gotta be shittin me.... Im about to pay $28(after taxes and all that) for a car with leaking headlights and you wont do a thing for me?? So after a few more choice words on my part he got the owner of the dealership outside. He told me its normal and that they have a venting system that sometimes makes them leak... bad mistake. My father was right there and immediatly jumped in and pretty much demanded they swap the housing or do somethin to compansate for it. So after more back and forth arguing and calming my father down they pulled my car inside. The service center is right near the waiting room so i watched the guys swap the bulb out in about 5min. Then they close the hood and bring it back around. I was like you gotta be kidding me. Now the parts counter "manager" gets involved telling me its a 4hr job to pull the bumper off the car and to remove the headlight housing and to reinstall the new one. I TOTALLY bugged out.... cause just two days earlier i did a HID and clear corner mod to my boys '01 A4 and had his headlight lense out in literally 2mins. I explained what i had done already and thats its 3 T30 torx screws and it comes right out, but he wouldnt hear it he still insisted its a 4hr job and that id have to come back the following week to have it swapped. NOTE* i live 3hrs from this place so i wasnt gonna come back and sit in the waiting room for 4hrs when i knew damn well its a 5min job for the swap. So by the time i got home 90% of the fog cleared out and the rest a few days later. And since then even after my clear corner mod they havent once fogged up on me, which i find very strange.
So in the end i still bought the car(obviously) from that $hitbag dealership ONLY because the car was MINT inside and out and for the millage i got a sick deal. This is just another reason why i totally dred going to the dealer with a problem. [mad]

sorry I had to vent that story, lol

Ant

Just to let you know, the dealer wasn't lying... It is normal for the lights to condensate on the inside. There is a technical bulletin for this as there were headlights being replaced left and right for no reason. No action, VOM...