PDA

View Full Version : Power steering



k-red
09-21-2005, 11:28 AM
So I just found out that my entire power steering system is shot. Need a new pump and rack.

Total Damage w/ parts and labor = $752.00

How hard would this be for DIY? What about cost savings?

Any suggestions/help are appreciated.

A4Rob
09-21-2005, 11:32 AM
It is hard to DIY. This happened to me last summer and ended up costing me $1600. New rack, 2 pumps, hoses, fluids, check valve, alignment, and labor. Sooooo glad i have a aftermarket warranty, because they covered about $1050 of it.

The worst part of it, It happened in Wisconsin while on the way to waterfest. 3 days stuck in a super 8 with nothing to do but drink beer. :(

jones3000
09-21-2005, 11:39 AM
^^^not fun.

audidrvr
09-21-2005, 11:40 AM
there's a write up somewhere on replacing the rack, it is a somewhat difficult job from what I gathered on the write up but that kind of depends how comforatable you are with working on your car.

k-red
09-21-2005, 11:47 AM
^^^Not very comfortable at all. I have limited experience.... replaced plugs, wires, airfilter, JVC MP3 cd changer.

I'm thinking that having it done would be the best idea + I get a 12 month warranty w/ it. I know their giving me a pretty good deal on everything.

Everything bad happens in Wisconsin.

Hopefully the Brewers will beat the Cubs tonight.

Quattrocket
09-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Brewers Suck!

k0mpresd
09-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by A4Rob
3 days stuck in a super 8 with nothing to do but drink beer. :(
yea..that does sound pretty rough [;)]

A4Rob
09-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
yea..that does sound pretty rough [;)]

Might I add that me and my buddy got bored and found a Highschool party. [:D]

k0mpresd
09-21-2005, 02:53 PM
lol..even better [:D]

k-red
09-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
Brewers Suck!

Not compared to your Canadian teams.... oh wait, they had to let one go because of terrible fan support.

BTW... The Crew beat the Cubbies in the bottom of the ninth. It was sweet.

k-red
09-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Oh yeah, I've decided to forego the repairs, and trading in my Audi.

I'm going to miss this car :(

nramsey
09-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by A4Rob
It is hard to DIY. This happened to me last summer and ended up costing me $1600. New rack, 2 pumps, hoses, fluids, check valve, alignment, and labor. Sooooo glad i have a aftermarket warranty, because they covered about $1050 of it.

The worst part of it, It happened in Wisconsin while on the way to waterfest. 3 days stuck in a super 8 with nothing to do but drink beer. :(

Damn, that sucks. How did it fail?

R-Dub
09-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by k-red
Total Damage w/ parts and labor = $752.00

That is one damn good deal.

I dont know what place you went to but land that deal, had the same thing happen to a friend of mine - he tried doing it himself - 5 days of frustrastion with nothing to show - ended up paying 1200 for fix.

My advice - take the small hit, you probably wont get a better deal.

k-red
09-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by R-Dub
That is one damn good deal.

I dont know what place you went to but land that deal, had the same thing happen to a friend of mine - he tried doing it himself - 5 days of frustrastion with nothing to show - ended up paying 1200 for fix.

My advice - take the small hit, you probably wont get a better deal.

Its at the dealer I bought it used from. They were putting in a titanium aftermarket exhaust on a locally owned Gallardo. That was pretty solid. They have always cut me a great deal.

Its not just the power steering....

Its also new tires, clutch that is starting to slip, and control arm/suspension issues.

All this is going to cost some decent coin.

almaster666
09-22-2005, 08:46 PM
who needs power steering?
driving w/out it is just good exercise
build up some muscle [:p]